A Song of Snowflakes and Posies Discussion Thread

Bethany

I got the same thing as you in regards to the Westertlings, Choc.

I haven't gotten around to Dunk and Egg... it's on the list of 10000 other things I want to read, though. Maybe by the time the seventh book is out in 30 or so years.

You can read each individual Dunk N Egg in a single sitting. They aren't long. Give alot of information about the Blackfyre Rebellion and the Targaryans in general. Very cool stuff.

• 3 months later...

I'm all caught up!

The Reek chapter is absolutely horrifying.

Oh god. They went from bad to worse.

Pretty sure Joffrey would have turned out to be Ramsey Bolton had he lived.

No offense to you two, but if you think Jon Snow is dead and gone. you haven't been paying close enough attention.

Martin been setting this thing up for quite some time. Every time Mel asks the fire God to see her king (who she assumes is Stannis) he shows her Jon Snow. Azor Ahhai or whatever his name is. Jon is AA. This was the Jesus on the cross moment we've been waiting for. He even did it in an epic Julius Caesar fashion. Et tu Bowen Marsh!? The prologue tells us how Jon is going to save his consciousness by warging into Ghost for a while and avoid the pitfalls of his crazy bitch step mom zombie. Mel is going to go all Beric Dondarrion on his body and voila! you have a Jon Snow who has literally died and is no longer bound to the Night's Watch who can go whip some Ramsay Bolton ass and become Jon Stark/Azor Ahhai defender of all that is good and heir to Winterfell!! YAR!! He'll probably even marry Val and unite the wildlings with the North. Of course a lot of that is wishful thinking, but I've never been more certain that a character is coming back than I am here.

I wish I had the time to copy and paste all of the previous prophecy stuff that Martin has layed out regarding AA, but there is so much that supports Jon Snow and explicitly details this death scene that it is unavoidable. Go read the westeros.org message boards if you are actually interested in this stuff. Everytime someone uncovers some new clue in the text I have that much more respect for Martin's skills.

Particularly, the bleeding star, smoke, and salt references. Also, Melissandre seeing him go from Man, to wolf, and BACK to man...

Interesting! I like it.

A bit further in SoS now.

Also a full-on Sansa-Tyrion relationship would be AMAZING if they had both stopped being douches! Retake the North, join up with Jon, KILL CERSEI :angry:

Oh my good lord. That whole story arc I was like GROW UP AND REALIZE HOW GREAT THIS IS.

• 1 month later...

Also, just re-read A Feast For Crows and there is no doubt in my mind that the word Brienne says is "Arya". A few chapters earlier when they meet with those monks, she is talking to the leader of them about her search for Sansa and has heard The Hound has her. The monk then informs her that The Hound actually had Arya and she was alive not long before. There is no reason for this chapter and conversation in the book, other than to inform Brienne that Arya is alive so she can yell it to Catelyn and save her life.

Nope, Brienne said 'sword'. Those guys HAD Arya until the Hound took her so they knew she was alive. Brienne said sword and agreed to kill Jaime to save Pod's life. I have no idea what will happen next because I don't think Brienne will kill Jaime and also watching the show made me wonder even more. When Brienne is swearing to Cat, Cat swears to her that she'll never ask her to do anything that goes against her honor or whatever she said and I had to go back to the books to see if that was in there and it is, so I think the oaths Cat and Brienne made to each other will come up again.

• 6 months later...

You really really should. Me and RUA were talking about this in PM earlier today. We guess he's gonna finish this one, book 6, and then die halfway through writing book 7. That's how these things tend to go, right?

Yes. Then 30 years later his son and some total hack (probably Kevin J Anderson) take the "lost notes" they found in Atlantis, decide to publish eight prequels first, split the legendary notes into two books and when book 7 (by then, book 17 really) finally comes out you wish you had never read even the first one. (C´mon there must be at least one more disgruntled Dune fan around!)

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to discuss some of the theories out there about the series. So here is the first:

Aegon Targaryan is actually a Blackfyre

A quick primer on the Blackfyre Rebellion for those of us who may know something about it, but need a refresher. There was a terrible Targaryan King, roughly 100 years before the events of ASOIAF. He had trueborn children, but also many, many bastards. On his deathbed he legitimized all his bastards. He also gave the sword of House Targaryan, Blackfyre to one of the bastards named Daemon.

This was an issue because the legit heir, Daeron, was not well liked by many. He was bookish and not a warrior and not what most felt a King should be. Wheras Daemon was charismatic and everything a King should be. Those who backed Daemon took it as a sign that his father gave him the sword that his father wanted Daemon to follow him as King.

So there was a war and eventually the Targaryans won. The Blackfyres were forced across the sea.

The Theory in detail:

Everyone wonders why Illyrio and Varys are backing Aegon. They only say its because they feel he would make a good King. But in this theory Illyrios dead wife was a Blackfyre, Aegon is their son and this is why he and Varys are trying to place him on the throne.

Things that back up this theory

1-Dany's dreams in the house of the undying about a Mummers Dragon. To a legit Targaryan, a Blackfyre would be a fake or mummers dragon.

2-The Golden Company were originally formed by an exiled Blackfyre for the express purpose of placing a Blackfyre on the throne. They have never broken a contract, until now. WHen asked why they broke this contract Illyrio says "some contracts are written in ink, some in blood." Essentially they only broke a contract because they now finally have a chance to fulfill their original purpose of placing a Blackfyre on the throne.

3-Tyrion sees a statue in Illyrios manse and thinks it is of Aegon, but it turns out to be a young Illyrio.

4-Illyrio specifically says that only the male line of Blackfyres has died out, but the female line lived on.

I really think this theory in some form is true. I didn't really like the idea of Aegon being a missing Targaryan. I also didn't like the idea of him being a random imposter. However if he is a Blackfyre, that is pretty damn cool.

I didn't come up with the theory, my friend and I were discussing why the hell Illyrio and Varys are helping Aegon. So we did some reading online and saw some theories. What I put here is kinda what I think may be closest to the case after reading a bunch of theories and going back to read some myself.

Two quesitons though

1-What was Illyrios plan when setting Viserys and Dany up with Drogo?

2-WHen Varys is talking to Kevan Lannister before killing him he talks as if Aegon actually is Aegon Targaryan. Why would he lie to a dead man?

With regards to 2- May be one of those "if you believe it enough, it becomes true" things. If he is treated as a legit Targaryen and true heir to the Iron Throne by others he becomes it. Perception becomes reality.

I didn't know this thread existed... I need to read through it now that I'm caught up.

I think maybe my favorite "theory" about a non-essential character's futures, especially because of Rory McCann's portrayal of Sandor on the show, is that the Gravedigger is in fact The Hound (far fetched, but well known theory) and that Ser Robert Strong is Gregor (generally accepted) and that after Cersei names Robert Strong as her champion the Faith will name the Gravedigger/Sandor as champion and we can get an awesome Clegane-Bowl.

I'm also convinced Sansa will become/is becoming Cersei-lite, and probably kill Littlefinger.

Long term though they wouldnt want him thought of as a Targaryan, they want him to be a Blackfyre. Kinda like "it took a long time but the Blackfyres won in the end."

I think their plan is to marry Aegon to Dany, with Dany thinking its her nephew. Then once married reveal his true identity. Any offspring would officially be Blackfyre, as he is the male.

• 4 months later...

Anyone get "The World of Ice and Fire"?

It's pretty awesome. First off, it's a beautiful book with amazing illustrations. Even the exterior of the book is great as it has almost like a faux leather feel.

What's great is that it's not an encyclopedia. It's written from the perspective of a Maester as a gift to King Robert, no Joffrey, no Tommen, yeah Tommen. Starts right in the Dawn Age with the coming of the First Men to Westeros and continues right to before the starts of the books. Really cool stuff, little biographies of every Targaryan King.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.