A Song of Snowflakes and Posies Discussion Thread

Bethany

An update on how far behind I am. I have a 3 hour drive tomorrow and then 3 hours back on Monday so I caved a bought Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow on audiobook for a tenner (my free one doesn't come until middle of next week). Listening to it today its amazing how different things are when somebody reads the books to you.

Having read the first two and watched the TV show I've now been introduced to three different ways. Now I'm picturing my version of Brienne, talking to the TV version of Jamie both of whom speak with massively rough accent. Jamie Lannister sounds WELSH!! WELSH!! It's all very confusing picturing things unfold in my minds eye as I drive along.

It's Roy Dotrice who does the narration btw and he is pretty good from what I have heard up to now. Nice to see a few 'different' characters getting chapters, always fleshes out the story a bit.

Just a question: Do we get to see Catlyn freeing Jamie at the end of Clash of Kings? Have I just blocked that bit out?

I hope to god you're right about Jon. But bringing people back to life is just so stupid! The more I think about it though, that red god does have that power, how many times did Thoros bring back what's his name and of course there is zombie Cat.

• 2 weeks later...

Eeeeep. Can't wait to start reading Feast tonight.

Littlefinger killed Jon Arryn, Lysa dead (saw that coming as soon as the moon door opened) and Catelyn alive (that was a shock), Tyrion kills Tywin and runs off, Arya leaves to go to Bravos because of a strange coin, Jon as Lord Commander and who the hell knows where Bran has got to?

I hope Davos is still alive. He was fun

Just finished "A Feast for Crows" and although it probably is the "worst", thats kind of like saying "Ms September is the ugliest playmate". Its still great. It doesn't have all the "holy ****" moments that are in "A Storm of Swords" but still a ton to like.

I love how Cersei thinks she is so smart but she is so very dumb. The minute she gave the High Septon permission to re-arm the Faith I actually laughed out loud to myself. I love how Dany is slowly being brought into the fold of the main story. Both through the Iron Men and through the goings on in Dorne. I love Jaime's attempts at redemption. I love Littlefingers scheming. And I really want to find out what the word was that Brienne said. The one storyline that I felt was a bit flat was Arya. I've really enjoyed her storylines in the previous books but I somewhat felt that her story here went nowhere. The other story's all seem to have a climax or cliffhanger. Sam gets to Oldtown. Victarion is going to try to wed Dany. Prince Doran has a plan in place to form an alliance with Dany and get revenge on the Lanistars. Cersei is imprisoned and awaiting trial. Just seems like Arya didn't really do much. She went blind, so what.

So basically I was far from dissapointed with the book, as it seems alot of people were. But then again I didn't have to wait several years to read it and I don't have to wait years to read the next book. I really liked the stuff with the Greyjoys, didn't feel it was filler at all. And the story has obviously gotten ridiculously vast but you can also see Martin beginning to put into motion events that will bring alot of the storylines back together.

I'll start on "A Dance With Dragons" this week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A Feast for Crows is hard to get through. I'm about a third of the way through and reading a massive block of whole new character stuff. I don't mind it but can see why it would turn some people off when we still have stories hanging for the Starks that haven't been mentioned too much in a good number of chapters.

The Dornishmen (and women) are cool though

Does anyone know why Aerys had Ned's dad and brother killed in the first place? Was it for an actual reason or was it just Aerys being Aerys? And how long before Robert's rebellion was that? Also I find it interesting that Qyburn was at Harrenhal when Arya was, she even knew him by name. Just seems like one of those things George mentions in passing that might be important later.

Bran spoilers for ADWD...

So do you guys think that Bran's fate is really to become a damn tree? Because if so I think that is about the saddest thing I've ever heard.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A Feast for Crows is hard to get through. I'm about a third of the way through and reading a massive block of whole new character stuff. I don't mind it but can see why it would turn some people off when we still have stories hanging for the Starks that haven't been mentioned too much in a good number of chapters.

The Dornishmen (and women) are cool though

I can definitely see how someone who was reading the books as they were released would get frustrated. You wait for years for the next book and when it comes out some of your favorite characters arent even mentioned. Then you have to wait years for the next book which does continue their stories.

However since I didnt read till last summer, I had no problem like that. I knew going into Feast For Crows that some characters wouldnt be in it but I also knew that as soon as I finished Feast that I would immediately start Dance and get to read about those characters. So Feast wasn't frustrating for me at all.

I actually really liked "A Feast For Crows". Had no problems with it. If I had to rank it Id put it behind the first three books but I didn't feel it was a huge dropoff. I actually liked it alot more than Dance. I just felt for the first time that the series was long winded in Dance, which is often a problem in fantasy. The earlier books were so fast paced for the most part while Dance With Dragons was slow in parts. I felt the story was basically just as good but the pacing wasn't nearly as good.

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to finishing this.

Loved it from start to finish -- It's almost up there with A Storm of Swords (which is one of my all-time favorite fantasy novels). It's a tiny bit too long and too many threads and revisits keep it from perfection, but what a great ride! I, too, don't believe Jon is dead. But maybe that's just because he's my favorite Stark bastard.

Dany chewing on the burnt horse was such a beautiful ending, but I loved the epilogue even more. When Varys told Kevan he had to kill him because he was actually competent, he suddenly -- and finally -- made perfect sense.

So basically, he's been working from the start to keep the kingdom as off-balance and mistrustful as possible so the rightful (non-insane Targaryen) will be better able to take over and reunite the world... but not so off-balance and mistrustful so that there is no kingdom to take over. Right?

:eek:

• 1 month later...

I guess these would be Feast for Crows spoilers but it's more like a kind of blanket spoiler for the whole series too...

Holy **** how come I am just now realizing that Robb and Jeyne's marriage was like, pretty much orchestrated by her mother and Tywin? I'm shocked, LOL! Also about Margaery (sp?) I know she's not as innocent as she and her family wants everyone to think but do you think Pycelle was really making her the moon tea? To me that's more hardcore evidence than any singers confession but then again we all know that Pycelle is House Lannister's bitch. I guess I'm just dying to find out how the trials turn out.

I was under the impression that Robb and Jeyne married of their own accord and afterwards the Westerlings became in league with the Lannisters.

Also anyone else a fan of The Dunk N Egg stories? I think they are great. Anyone know when the next one is coming out, its supposed to be in an anthology called "Dangerous Women". But I also read that Martin was going to put the first 4 stories into a single volume, anyone know of this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.