A Song of Snowflakes and Posies Discussion Thread

Bethany

All y'all Brienne haters can just ... cut off your manhoods and feed them to the goats. Copper excluded, of course, since I assume she lacks a manhood of her own.

IF Brienne is dead, then Sansa is doomed, doomed, doomed.

Also, if she is dead, what's the point of the end of her last POV chapter,

with whatever she said to Lady Death before she was (possibly) hanged?

Also, why would Martin mention her at all in an update about A Dance with Dragons on his "not a blog" blog if she is dead?

Also, I'm pretty sure Ryn hasn't read the books and was just drunk posting. :D

Haven't read the books at all, but no alcohol was involved. It's just sinking in to me from the show that death ("winter"?) comes for everyone in this damned thing.

• 5 weeks later...

Just read the second book (so have scrolled down this page with my eyes firmly closed). Really enjoying this series. Was it just me or was Dany's story in CoK quite a bit weaker and smaller than hers in GoT?

I'm just hoping that Tyrion somehow survives being in King's Landing as a double cripple and with his sister 'looking after him'. Also that Sansa grows some balls and that somebody kills Rickon. That kid is annoying.

Ooooh and Loras gets to kill evil sorceress lady. Poor Renl

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the second book (so have scrolled down this page with my eyes firmly closed). Really enjoying this series. Was it just me or was Dany's story in CoK quite a bit weaker and smaller than hers in GoT?

I'm just hoping that Tyrion somehow survives being in King's Landing as a double cripple and with his sister 'looking after him'. Also that Sansa grows some balls and that somebody kills Rickon. That kid is annoying.

Ooooh and Loras gets to kill evil sorceress lady. Poor Renl

Rickon hardly says anything, how can he be annoying.

Maybe UKLK is getting his characters mixed up? Cuz yeah, how can you hate Rickon man, he's like a four year old kid!

The Reek chapter is absolutely horrifying.

I loved it cuz I hate that guy, hate hate hate.

Not to mention I hate that he had so much screen time on the show... also not to mention how limp he got one second after pounding Roz from behind, lol, what a douche.

Hate the Freys even worse though. **** the Freys!

Anyway, I'm only about 300 some pages in.

Can't believe little Prince Aegon is still alive, didn't see that one coming.

No kidding. That was a shocker.

This isn't really a spoiler so I'll just say it. I'm only around 550 in to the book, but I absolutely love how the bad guys seem to have over looked just how much people in the North LOVE the Starks. Martin is amazing, there is just this constant humming beneath the surface where the Northmen are just kind of going through the motions but deep down they are fiercely loyal to the Stark kids.

Wylla Manderly = best new character

I've not yet read any of these books, but this thread now makes me sad.

I had dinner with a friend the other night and she mentioned that she was stopping by Borders on her way home to get this book for her Dad. It wasn't a gift for any occasion, just a nice surprise for him. She called the next morning to tell me he died unexpectedly that night before she even got home. He was only 63 and didn't have any known health problems.

So, now I don't know if I even want to read them since they depress me. :cry:

Well...that was interesting. (seriously, don't read until you're done)

So Jon goes down. Dammit, what the HELL. Martin is sadistic. Or maybe he's not dead...? I read it a bunch of times and it seemed pretty decisive, but I suppose you never know. If he is, then WTF happens on the Wall without him? Seems like it'll just be pure chaos with the wildlings, especially if Stannis is really gone, which I'm guessing isn't true since we didn't see it, but who the hell knows. Stannis never struck me as a character who would make it to the end anyway. But yeah, if that's it for Jon, what a depressing way for him to go. I actually think this was more shocking than Ned or the Red Wedding. Ned was already in a pretty dire place and it was pretty strongly telegraphed that something bad was about to go down at the Red Wedding. I suppose Martin had a few hints for this (like Ghost) and I think I could have handled Jon going down sometime later, like in the last book or something in a blaze of glory. But right at the moment, man, that was seriously out of nowhere. HARSH.

(Edit: I wanted to come back to add that if Jon isn't actually dead, which appears to be the prevailing view among readers, it pretty severely lowers my already-rather-low opinion of this book. I expect better than cheap gimmicks.)

(Second Edit: After further research, oh right...warging into Ghost. Duh. I feel stupid for not thinking of that, particularly after the mostly-useless prologue segment. Okay, so if he's warged in Ghost, I guess it's not that bad of a gimmick...but I'd still think it's kinda cheap. :p)

But right, there were other things that happened here.

Pretty disappointed with Daenerys. Again. My favorite storyline from the first book continues to struggle. One solid scene with taming Drogon is nice, but I feel everything else was filler. I really don't give a crap about Meereen and the amount of time devoted to the various political and military machinations is frustrating and boring. Her apparent change of heart at the end was welcome but I feel it's a couple books too late.

For the first time, Tyrion's storyline wasn't a standout for me. Pretty boring actually. He had a distinct lack of other major characters to work off of, which was disappointing. Sullen Mormont doesn't get it done. And I'm not sure about Penny. I rolled my eyes at the idea of her being introduced as a love interest, but it doesn't seem to be going that direction. Or maybe it is. Whatever. Either way, not a particularly interesting character.

Theon was...not too bad here. More interesting than Book 2, so I guess I'll count that as a win.

Arya and Bran...I don't know, guys. I feel like they're completely wasted. They're effectively in completely different stories that happen to occur in the same universe. Dammit, start with the convergences, Martin!

The new Aegon plotline was an interesting twist. Doesn't seem all that engaging as yet but hopefully that develops in the next ones.

Still only a tease on zombie Catelyn. He's really holding that back. And as expected, Brienne is still alive and kicking.

And just a few chapters before the end I had been thinking about what a shame we haven't seen Varys at all, then bam, there he is! Good ole Varys, stirring sh*t up.

So yeah, there were some strong moments, but on the whole, I find this book to be lacking. Better than AFFC, but whatever magic Martin had going a decade ago feels lost. Way too many chapters left me with a "so what" feeling. Like AFFC, most of this book feels bogged down with minutiae that just isn't very interesting. I suppose some of it's necessary setup for later, but it gets tiresome. Too many minor characters, too many subplots, too much time when things just aren't HAPPENING. This was not the case in the first three books. Maybe this is all just a problem of "the gap" and these two books were just filling out the interlude before getting back into the meat of things. It did end with some stronger chapters, so I'm still hoping for better with the next installments. Hopefully he doesn't take too long.

Wow Mandard, I feel like I usually agree with you, but we couldn't have more differing opinions...

I thought it was great, on par with the first 3...

No offense to you two, but if you think Jon Snow is dead and gone. you haven't been paying close enough attention.

Martin been setting this thing up for quite some time. Every time Mel asks the fire God to see her king (who she assumes is Stannis) he shows her Jon Snow. Azor Ahhai or whatever his name is. Jon is AA. This was the Jesus on the cross moment we've been waiting for. He even did it in an epic Julius Caesar fashion. Et tu Bowen Marsh!? The prologue tells us how Jon is going to save his consciousness by warging into Ghost for a while and avoid the pitfalls of his crazy bitch step mom zombie. Mel is going to go all Beric Dondarrion on his body and voila! you have a Jon Snow who has literally died and is no longer bound to the Night's Watch who can go whip some Ramsay Bolton ass and become Jon Stark/Azor Ahhai defender of all that is good and heir to Winterfell!! YAR!! He'll probably even marry Val and unite the wildlings with the North. Of course a lot of that is wishful thinking, but I've never been more certain that a character is coming back than I am here.

I wish I had the time to copy and paste all of the previous prophecy stuff that Martin has layed out regarding AA, but there is so much that supports Jon Snow and explicitly details this death scene that it is unavoidable. Go read the westeros.org message boards if you are actually interested in this stuff. Everytime someone uncovers some new clue in the text I have that much more respect for Martin's skills.

Particularly, the bleeding star, smoke, and salt references. Also, Melissandre seeing him go from Man, to wolf, and BACK to man...

I loved Theon's arc in this book. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I am obsessed with the Bolton's. I hate them, but I love it when they are on camera, Ramsay has such horrible, horrible charisma...

I thought the Prince Aegon was a little bit of an asspull, but I'm okay with it as it stands now, I just hope it goes somewhere that flows organically and doesn't become some sort of Deus Ex Machina...

Jon Connington seems great, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of him.

Barristan is a wonderful POV, very happy about that.

I actually did not see the Quentyn death coming at all, so kudos on the shock value there.

Ser Robert Strong - ooo I just can't wait!!!

Love Love Love Wun Wun the angry giant.

I thought Tyrion was pretty boring in all honesty. His act is getting a little tiresome for me.

And finally, the Dany/Mereenese Knot thing was not handled as efficiently as I would have liked. It's taking SOO long. And finally as the climax seems to be approaching... tune in next time friends. Weak.

Overall I loved it, and while it may have stalled a little, I think everyone is pointed in the right direction for what is going to be an epic final two chapters.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.