A Song of Snowflakes and Posies Discussion Thread

Bethany

So my biggest question is who are Jon Snow's parents? I'm convinced Ned is not Jon's father but that he is his nephew. I'm pretty sure Jon is the son of Ned's sister Lyanna but who the father is I don't know. I thought maybe Rhaegar BUT since I came up with that I figured it's probably the obvious thing since I'm such a simpleton. So who then? And what exactly was the promise Ned made to Lyanna when she died? To protect her son? Maybe?

And last for now, what exactly happened to Arya towards the end? At first I thought she just found her way to some nice old people who take care of people who are dying. I guess that's my naive way of thinking. But then they blinded her and she killed that one black brother who was traveling with Sam and all them. Is she a Faceless man in training???? That would be cool and everything but I want her to go back and get all her revenge on everyone. I don't want her to forget that she's a Stark, poor girl always has some kind of identity crisis going on.

I am back and forth and back and forth on the whole Jon = Lyanna + Rhaegar thing. It would be a shocker for the Seven Kingdoms, but ultimately I don't think it would matter if it's true, because I don't think Jon will ever leave the wall. I wonder if we're finally going to meet Howland Reed in the next book. He is (apparently) the only person in the whole world who knows the truth about Jon's parentage.

As for Arya, who is by far my favorite character in the series, I think she is going to end up back in the thick of things. Too much has been made about the wolves and their huge female leader for it not to be important, and since we know that Arya can see through Nymeria's POV (and control her, to some extent, I feel sure) I think some butt-kicking via wolf is in order.

As far as Dany, much has been made of the prophecy that "the dragon has three heads." Daenarys is obviously #1, but who (or what) are nos. 2 & 3? My guess is that this is some sort of triumvirate with three co-rulers over Westeros.

I'm pretty much convinced that Jon = Rhaegar + Lyanna

I personally can't wait to see Nymeria and her ungodly horde of wolves swarm in and lay waste to everything. I hope it involves killing all of the Freys and the... blanking... the father and son who flay people?? What are there names? They wear pink and tend to stick hard metal things into young kings from the north...

BOLTON! That's it. Roose and Ramsey Bolton.

Who's more terrible: Ramsey Bolton or Gregor Clegane?

Sorry about all of the consecutive posts, I'm a little obsessed with this topic...

I'm fairly sure we are going to see an awesome scene somewhere in book 7 where Resurrected Franken-Gregor fights either a dragon or a direwolf one on one.

Gawd, so much stuff. Here's a question: has the series gotten too big and unwieldy for Martin? He just keeps on introducing new characters and plot diversions. Now we have people scattered all to heck and gone from north of the wall all the way to the far south. And we still have three (at least) books to go to tie things up.

My predictions of characters we will see die in A Dance with Dragons:

Cersei

Tommen

Myrcella (maybe)

Ser Jorah Mormont

Mance Rayder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to think the July 12 release date is codswallop. It generally takes from 4-8 months for a novel to go through editorial processes, be printed and bound, and be distributed. If a publisher pulls out all the stops, I suppose it could be done in 3 months, but I would be leery of the quality of the first pressing. We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started reading the series after watching the first TV episode. Just finished up Book 4.

Book 1 was my favorite. Solid from beginning to end. Books 2 and 3 were a little shakier at times, particularly in the earlier sections, but both finished up very strongly in their second halves.

Book 4 could not have been more disappointing. I was aware going in that this one was only "half" the story, but still, I can't find any excuse for all the dithering around in this one. I'm sitting here in my mind comparing the events of this one to the previous books and it feels like a joke. How can you write so much and have so little actually happen? I have to believe he just has too much going on, to the point he's struggling to put it all together and still keep it engaging for the reader. Major arcs from the previous books are all but abandoned. Arya only gets a couple chapters. Same with Sansa. And after cliffhanging with Cat in Book 3, she only makes one small appearance here. While Brienne, who I was happy to see included as a main since I love her character, gets tons of pagetime...and wastes pretty much all of it wandering around doing nothing significant. Cersei also gets a ton. Unfortunately, while I liked her as a crazy, evil bitch, I always believed she was a cunning and shrewd crazy-bitch. All we see here is that she's a complete idiot. Maybe other people enjoyed her, but I found her sections tiresome. It's sad that despite Jaime's chapters being far less interesting than the ones in Book 3, they were still the "highlight" of this book. And the Dorne and Ironmen segments are clearly just filler segments for plot points that at some point will be important, but currently don't warrant any characters major enough to focus on. I could not get through them fast enough.

Here's hoping Book 5 is much better.

Yeah, the fourth book is definitely the weakest. That's pretty much a consensus among fans of the series. I was just talking with my brother a few days ago about how it feels the story is getting too big for Martin to handle and he's sort of lost control of it, but I feel after A Dance With Dragons comes out, he'll have a better hold on it and be able to sort it all out. Definitely with you on A Feast for Crows, though--Sam is one of the least interesting characters and I was really annoyed he became a POV. The Greyjoys didn't interest me much either. Too be fair, though, most of the best POV characters weren't even here, so with Jon and Tyrion and the like coming back, I figure it's almost a given it'll be better than book 4.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, really? Does the general consensus actually think she's dead? I have a hard time believing that. I thought it seemed pretty clear that there was going to be a last-second reprieve. As frustrating as Book 4 was, I can't imagine that Martin made her a POV character and devoted all that time to her wandering around doing nothing only to get rid of her.

Also, I'm pretty sure Ryn hasn't read the books and was just drunk posting. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.