The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Human Torch

I think you can sneak better in light armour and if you just take off your armour altogether, certainly have to do that if you're a vampire/invisible.
You can muffle it, but this is yet another reason to wonder why -- other than the fact that it looks cool -- anybody would spend a bunch of perks on heavy armor.

:confused:

so you can square go dragons with your fists

Idea: Couldn't a heavy armored Khajiit, perked to boast unarmed combat, be a pretty cool tank? Combine the heavy armor's Fists of Steel unarmed boost, with enchanted armor of various things (one of which being the rare pugilist/fortify unarmed damage boost) then your Khajiit could be a total beast. Granted xTimes damage boosts for sneak arrows/backstabs etc would probably shame that build, but I would have to imagine making a Khajiit Tank would still be a viable and fun alternative to explore.

To expand on that idea:

I think I'd major in Sneak + Archery still (as I always do) but then leftover/unused perks I'd plan to slot in Heavy Armor for the Fists of Steel and set bonus possibly (I'd need to really look at the benefits available).

For secondaries I'd look into Smithing (Dragon Armor) and Enchanting (to boost defense and unarmed combat more). Budgeting perks might be an issue, but since I'd only worry about getting the bow to zoom, slow zoom, critical, more damage and not perking any other combat (excluding heavy armor's Fists) I think there'd be enough perks to spread around.

Then using The Steed astrological stone would be wise too. It takes away all movement penalties attributed to armor, adds 100 carry weight and removes the weight of all the armor you're wearing from your encumbrance.

All of that on top of race bonuses for the Khajiit (Claws + Night Eye) would make a truly formidable character. And since all races start with Flames and Healing you could get away with not learning any other spells. Actually restricting yourself to limited spell use could add a lot to the gameplay for this build style.

Another thought: this character would PWN all in Brawls. It'd almost be unfair. LOL

Loving the game, my only major complaint is that most of the decision making feels too morally ambiguous. There's no real reason to kill or not kill or join a certain party. Your character just feels like a messenger boy for the various factions. Basically I'm just doing everything for money.

That's one of my biggest complaints about Elder Scrolls since Morrowind. It's even worse in Skyrim. There is very little you can do that allows your character to "sleep well at night". LOL I laugh, but it can be really aggravating for me too. It's hard for me to play in such despicable ways as the game often forces you to. You're almost always left having to be a pretty unlikable character, if you think about it. The only option, which is a suck option, is to avoid certain quests and leave others unfinished (if possible).

Kind of feel the same. I helped some guy in Darkstar free the villagers from the evil nightmares they were having and then the evil Daedra starts speaking to me about how I should kill him. I just thought....why? There is no real 'karma' statistic that affects the game or who likes you like in Fallout: NV. My guy has been pretty nice and good up to now and the only difference it makes if I kill him or not is in my head.

yeah, like the mean orphanage lady. I searched around for a while to see if there was an option to, oh I don't know, GET HER FIRED. Or take her into the wilderness for an extended vacation. Nope, just came back and whacked her. At least the kids seemed happy. And then, finally, when I actually WANT to kill somebody the game won't let me take an axe to the idiot kid who put out the hit in the first place.

I wish they'd just call them "tinylings" or "junior elfs" so these game developers could get around the taboo subject of killing kids. Makes me sound sick, I know. ha.

I have yet to kill her, but I won't mourn for her. She's evil, just not in the mustache twirling or serial murdering sense. She espouses kindness, which gave her the position of authority she has, but in reality she abuses those kids. Psychologically torturing them with the hope of being adopted and then when the opportunity presents itself she intentionally and with malice denies the adoption. She's a power monger that targets children and thrives off of their anguish.

With that said... yeah, I wish I could just form the case against her and then get her arrested.

That's one of my biggest complaints about Elder Scrolls since Morrowind. It's even worse in Skyrim. There is very little you can do that allows your character to "sleep well at night". LOL I laugh, but it can be really aggravating for me too. It's hard for me to play in such despicable ways as the game often forces you to. You're almost always left having to be a pretty unlikable character, if you think about it.

Is there anything THAT bad you have to do in the main quest? You don't have to plant evidence on the Dunmer dude, you don't have to kill Parx-whatshisbutt, etc...

I could be wrong, because I haven't finished every section of the main quest yet, but how, exactly, does the game force you to play despicably?

The only option, which is a suck option, is to avoid certain quests and leave others unfinished (if possible).
That's kind of the idea, and what makes the game so replayable. While it would be nice to get the lady arrested (see my comment about them fleshing out side quests a little better), you can easily beat the game -- even get to level 50 or higher -- without completing a single side quest.

I prefer to play these games "in character," because if I don't, I tend to take every quest and pick up everything that isn't nailed down -- which makes a character virtually unbeatable within a day or two, whether or not (s)he's completed more than 2-3 sections in the main story. Plus, it leaves a lot of stones to turn over if I play again as a different character.

I haven't touched the main quest, but "despicable quests" or DQs can start automatically just by visiting a place or talking to a random NPC. You can be a bit into the quest before you realize the only out is a dark one. And that is lame.

SPOILERS SORTA

A DQ in Markarth (sp?) even gives you a 1000 gold bounty and you're innocent, even if you figure a way to prove you're innocent the path to that makes you murder someone... and there is NO WAY OUT of this DQ at this point. If you aren't spoiled for the quest, and also playing "good", then this DQ can break your game for you. LOL talk about asinine!

Another Markarth DQ starts outside a house. You go in thinking, DUN DA DUN HERO! But then you are forced to kill in order to leave. On top of that you are then locked into the resulting Daedra quest.

Many Daedra quests are like that too. You should be able to thwart the desire of an "evil" Daedra. Perhaps by working with one of the "good" Daedra or the Vigilants.

The devs force you to either leave a quest in your log, or complete it. You should be able to 1) drop quests or 2) complete them in alternate fashion. The 2nd option is perferrable and should be available... especially in the SURPRISE you're locked into murder to prove your innocence! Like the Markarth DQ / conspiracy storyline.

Ah, that sucks! I get what you're saying now and totally agree, Mr. Torch. This is laziness on the part of the devs. I've already been bugged by quests automatically starting just by talking to people, but they've all been simple so far (visit this place, join this group, make a potion, etc.) -- nothing that forces me to hurt people to get the quest taken out of my journal.

I wonder if they thought "Hey, the PC players will just mod this away if it's a nuisance, so no biggie."

Being a Bethesda fan for many years I can look back and see that it seems they are in a "modders will fix it" mindset. It's unfortunate because I love playing these games on my couch. LOL

Side Note: I know I prefer that because I played Morrowind on PC and Xbox. Even though the PC mods were truly rad, it was the comfort of the couch, a controller and my TV setup that won out.

Another Markarth DQ starts outside a house. You go in thinking, DUN DA DUN HERO! But then you are forced to kill in order to leave. On top of that you are then locked into the resulting Daedra quest.

Yeah I just did this. I thought, why is this witch hunter turning evil? Was he already secretly evil? Who's this community theater warlock that's trying to recruit me, and why should I care? Well, alright, sorry, fella... THWACK! At least he had nice robes.

Whatever, I've just started killing everyone in this. I killed the King in Rags dude for being a maniacal weirdo, I killed Silver-Blood for setting me up. Maybe by the end I'll have knocked off enough important figures to have affected the outcome. Sheesh.

On a side note, when the first companion I had (some chick a Jarl assigned to me) died, she never came back. My next guy, some brute from Markarth, re-appeared when I fast traveled. Glitch, or... ? I think it'd be more interesting if they just stayed dead.

Okay. I'm not reading this thread for spoiler reasons.

I have to say I am deeply impressed by this game. It's just so vast! Walking around feels more like a natural terrain rather than a couple set paths (though those do exist as well). It's a bit like the Lord of the Rings meets Final Fantasy (in wandering and items). The weight thing is going to drive me crazy. I had to make my way to the town by slow walking just because I am too greedy to drop items of value. ARGH.

^LOL

BTW, Sheepy! What I do is just take what is valuable, drop what I can't hold in a container and then Fast Travel (FT) back and forth without turning in the quest. I don't turn in the quest because sometimes when you do the dungeon or where ever I was fighting gets reset. Once I've sold what I want, I turn in the quest.

• 2 weeks later...

Played it all the way through, and have revised my rating down to an 8 -- not quite as good as Daggerfall (even if it is prettier and less buggy), nowhere near Morrowind, but definitely a step up in quality from Arena and Oblivion.

And now for a few more likes and dislikes (standard spoiler warning):

• I loved the twist with the first Alduin battle. "Oh -- you can beat me, can you? Fine, I'll just hide until you die, mortal." Clever, and raised the level of the final few quests well above most fantasy games. The peace treaty, while it could have been handled a lot better, wasn't standard fare, either. Good job with those choices.
  • Loved the care that went into the architecture. Every major city had its own distinctive look, which I both enjoy and appreciate from a creative standpoint.

Dislikes:

• If you are above level 18 or so and reasonably well-equipped, the final battle is laughably easy. I had more trouble with the dragon priest dude who was guarding the portal to Sovngarde than with Alduin. I didn't require any healing potions or spells whatsoever, and my health never dropped below 2/3. Talk about anti-climactic. I was almost hoping for that annoying "eveeeil bad guy rises from the ashes to reveal his true (and much deadlier) form!" gaming cliche to rear its ugly head when it became apparent Alduin was about to die.
  • I love and hate the crafting minigames, but in the end, I hated more than I loved. On one hand, it's awesome to be able to go to Gloombound, mine a ton of ebony, then purchase Daedric hearts to craft a whole set of Daedric weapons and armor. It's easy, and the equipment is pretty rad. On the other hand, one of the things that makes that equipment so awesome is that it's rare, and really hard to get. So while crafting is cool in its way, it really takes away the sense of accomplishment you got from winning, saving up, or stealing those super high-end items in the first three games. The food crafting was similarly disappointing after awhile (though the fondue is awesome if you're a mage-type) -- fun to do for a little while, but then kinda "meh." But the fact it lets you eat venison stew during battle for a power-up is kinda funny.
  • I also got really tired of the way the game handled quests and the spellbook. There really needs to be an option to erase unwanted quests and spells, and to drop unwanted quest items (so long as they're not vital to the game). It annoys me that my spellbook has about 10 spells in it that I never use, because I didn't realize I was learning the spells just by "reading" the books as I picked them up (uh, how that happen?), and the quest log is just a freakin' mess. It's nice you can make quests active and inactive, but it needs to go further, so you can get rid of non-essential minor quests.
  • Finally: too damned much hand-holding. It's almost gotten into Fable territory, and it just needs to stop! Every player doesn't need (or want) helpful hints for every action they undertake in the game. OMG!

-------

I realize it sounds like a lot of gripes, here, but believe it or not, I really did (and do) enjoy the game. I tend to be a harsher critic toward movies/games/music that are almost great, but fail due to lazy or cowardly choices, but that doesn't mean there still isn't a lot to like.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.