The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Human Torch

You've probably already discovered this, but Ebony Armour and weapons are the best.

They definitely look the best, IMO.

As a set, however, the armor is broken right now: the "Well Fitted" perk doesn't work. Not that this matters -- you can still easily reach the armor rating cap with ebony armor using a little bit of creative smithing/alchemy/enchanting.

I like the look of mixing and matching Eleven Armor with Glass Armor; the glass gauntlets with an Elven cuirass look great.

In many ways my dream idea of improving armors in a game like this would look a bit like that mix/match, except better! :D

eg.

Basic elven armor, check!

combined with mystical glass, check!

result = cool looking glass additions to Elven armor.

You could do with same thing with Dwemer scraps, leather, quicksilver or ebony etc etc

So basically there are default armors that you and the NPCs can have, but with your smithing ability you can really tweak the defaults into something only you have.

In addition to looking "unique", you could have an entire sub thing here where you could take a Plate Steel cuirass, but mod it with leathers so only the front chest bit is left. The result would be a heavier styled light armor. A Plated Leather cuirass. Sorta like irl a bullet prove jacket would be considered light armor, but it's got dense plates in the chest etc.

This could be done, technically speaking, by using a "LEGO" design. Not literally looking like LEGO. Just that everything in the game is designed to flow together. Another example of what I mean by flowing is the 80s G.I.Joes toys. You could unscrew those guys and mix and match pieces to create new guys. The models/meshes in a video game could be designed in a similar fashion. "Cut & Paste" chest piece A onto Armor B. etc etc Add in a "paint armor" and/or dye linen, leathers and you could really do some awesome things with Smithing.

I think the game Borderlands does something like this with weapons, but I want it not just with weapons but also armor and in an Elder Scrolls game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought this a couple weeks ago, I've been having a lot of trouble running it on my preferred gaming machine so I mostly just did a lot of herbing between crashes. My new computer parts will be here by the weekend and then I'll be hitting this hardcore. :D

Usually I'm a huge modder when it comes to games but I've never modded any of the Bethesda games I've played. I think it's cause for the most part they've never been stable enough on my current desktop that I'd feel comfortible doing it. It's like "damn was the crash cause of my ****ty video card running out of memory again or is it my mods?"

I used a ton of mods on Morrowind, but that was mostly to make it run better on the stupid Sony laptop I had when that game was "new".

From what I understand, in addition to "memory leak" issues that their games seem to always have Bethsoft has a bad habit of creating unnecessarily large textures and over does poly use in models. Morrowind was apparently brutal in that respect. There were, or are still, mods out that not only reduced model poly counts and texture sizes but cleaned and beautified the appearances while still managing to stay in the intended design of what shipped.

The result was a smoother running, sharper and prettier game. I was shocked, it felt like I had a different video card... which of course was impossible.

When it comes to mods I usually just go for graphic related stuff. Like for Skyrim I have some mods that smooth out the faces better, one with better detailed eyes, and one that adds cloaks. I wait for overhaul-type mods for later.

In terms of performance I've actually been surprised at how little issues I've had. Not to say I didn't have to tinker before getting things the way I liked, quality-to-performance wise, but since I've owned the game I've probably crashed four times that I can remember. And at least one of those was due to a too high overclock. Compare that to Oblivion which actually sat collecting dust for nearly a year because of crashes.

This game rocks my socks. Finally picked it up last month, and just about everything about it is an improvment over Oblivion.

Agreed. The game is gorgeous in an ancient era; while oblivion was beautiful in a Greco-Roman way. Skyrim's perk system is much improved over the uninspired attribute system. No more jumping everywhere so I can level up and run faster. Animation sequences-despite being so Fallout 3-are great. Thieves guild is much improved and replaces Dark brotherhood as my favorite side quests. Dragons! When I fought my first dragon...oh wow...so much fun. I love the dragon-fighting musical scores.

Even the NPC's appearances are vastly improved. In oblivion the elves weren't much more than cartoonish humans with big ears. In skyrim they look, well freakishly evil.

The mini-games are less annoying too. Bethesda took Fallout's lockpicking success and ran with it. No more ridiculous coerce-persuade-intimidate thing. All improvements.

Man I hated the elves in Oblivion, they just looked odd. -.- It sucked too cause I'm totally the "omg I'm SO going to be an elf wizard" type of person but I went Breton instead and carried on about my business. Just finished installing on my new computer, totally stoked to get playing again. I think I'm gonna start over though and make like a rogue type character, I've been in a real melee kick lately.

I tend to base my race, at least on my first time, on the locale. Like in Morrowind I was a Dark Elf, in Oblivion I was an Imperial, and now in Skyrim I'm a Nord. :D Dark Elves tend to be my favorite race though, just love their look. Well, in Morrowind and Skyrim at least, I agree in Oblivion the elves looked goofy.

I have bad luck with horses. My first horse was mauled to death by a sabre cat. My second horse followed me into a raid of dark mages and was magicked to death. He survived at least three dragon attacks with me to that point though which is a plus. And now my third horse doesn't freaking stay put when I dismount so currently I don't know where he is till I fast travel again, lol. Stupid Solitude horse. I would have just reloaded a previous save for the previous two deaths, but the first time I had just finished a hard fight in a dungeon that I didn't feel like redoing, and the second time I had just gotten some nice swag from a chest, and didn't want it to risk reloading the save and having the chests contents change.

Oh yeah, about horses:

They are too slow. It takes too long to get on and off them. You cant do **** if you are being attacked while on them. They are cumbersome difficult to navigate. I always forget where i leave them. They always get into fights and die.

Is it too much to ask for a horse that's fast, easy to use, and stays alive long enough to be useful? Maybe avoid fights instead of start them? Perhaps the ability to call it and have it come to you instead of losing it?

I would have been a video game programmer myself, but I took an arrow to the knee...

Agreed. I hate when I'm riding an animal attacks just because its tedious to dismount, kill it, then mount again. That also reminds me, the one thing they didn't "fix" from Oblivion that I wish they would have: you should be able to have a follower ride with you. I hate having someone follow me on foot. They can catch up easier than in Oblivion, but its still a pain.

My followers are never around when I need them anyways. When they are around, they are a hinderance. Then they bite off more than they can chew and die. Except for Mjoll the Lioness from riften; she never dies, but the downside to her is she never shuts up.

It's not uncommon for my followers to get stuck on a rock and disappear while I move on. Then I get in a fight and notice they are nowhere to be found and say to myself "oh she's still probably walking the long way around the giant mountain because she wont jump over a couple of rocks."

Then, after the battle at some random point in time, I hear footsteps sprinting, I turn and this black figure in all daedric armor and wielding a drawn daedric battle-ax right behind me. I jump, almost **** my pants, Then realize she's with me.

Sneaking around in caves, she always is either giving away my position, or bumping into me and moving me while I'm trying to line up an arrow shot for a stealth kill.

However, it is infinitely entertaining watching a giant one-shotting my companions and watching them fly into orbit; then trying to anticipate where they land.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate daedra hearts. The "trick/glitch" of respawning daedra at the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon doesn't work for me - I get the respawning gold/ebony ingots and gold pieces, but not the daedra. I don't want to make my armor pieces one at a time and not get to wear them together, so I'm jsut storing daedra hearts in a chest until I get enough for a full set, shield, sword, and battleax or warhammer.

One more daedric artifact and 18,000 more gold and I'll have a complete 1000 gamerscore on 360 for Skyrim :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be pissed if I didn't get my armor bonus. Not sure why it only effects PS3, but as a 360 user I'm glad.

Moved on to Daedric very quickly though after finding that I could easily acquire daedra hearts from Winterhold and the Dawnstar Sanctuary.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.