The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Human Torch

I'm starting to get annoyed with not being able resolve quests in a way that seems the best way.

Example: SPOILERS SO MINOR THEY CAN HARDLY BE CALLED SPOILERS

There is a conspiracy quest in one of the cities. You can sneakily and non-lethally find all the evidence you need to bring justice to these asses and yet when you have all the evidence you cannot raise the concern with the one person who has the power to help... The Jarl of that city. Nope. You are locked into an end quest that leads to bounties on you, deaths of innocents and requiring you to kill at least one person.

On top of that the quest has a glitch, a loop it can get stuck in (even when the quest log shows it as complete and resolved) involving a Shrine of Talos that will require you to kill three more people just to end the glitch so you can move on without being hassled by said glitch everytime you visit the city.

AND IN ADDITION...

Several of the Daedric quests in this Elder Scrolls incarnation are unbelievably ruthless, out right evil even with no real way to resolve them morally... and several of the most "evil" start AUTOMATICALLY! So if possible you have to go out of your way to avoid them (sometimes exiting a convo will not start the quest) OR use "precognition" ;) and kill the quest starters... who are usually evil or going to attack you eventually but sometimes they are just people... anyway so yay "justification" ?!! Locked into killing just to not do an evil quest. Ugh.

There should be a way to side with the "good" Daedra to resolve an "evil" Daedra's quest. The infuriating thing here is the writer's are aware of this as a viable story path because in many of these "evil" Daedra quests there are agents of the good guys trying to oppose them. But nope, you can't resolve a quest that way.

Same type of situation comes to a head with the Werewolves in the game. You get locked into being a murderous beast. You can't resolve it any other way.

Now see the issue here is the devs are trying to show life has grey situations. And it does. But there are paths that could be taken in the game and IRL that allow us to live as good, ethical people. However in the devs lust to display these grey situations they intentionally make our decision for us, locking us into the end quest or just coming to terms with quest failure or leaving the quest open. That's not acceptable.

This is close to killing the game for me.

Okay, now at over 140 hours (yes, I'm addicted). It is very tough to talk about this game now. Granted, it is one of the most addictive games I've ever seen, as well as one of the biggest games I've ever seen. It's given me weeks of fun, which most games cannot say (especially a guy like me who beats games in 2 or 3 days). That being said, I also have to add that it's one of the worst made games I've ever played in my life. They should just change the name to Elder Scrolls V: Glitch. It's nothing but at this point. Quests that cannot be completed, lag, dragons flying backwards, people coming back from the dead, missions restarting, people walking backwards, quest companions that don't leave when the quest is done, and many more. I came across a major glitch that practically ruins the game for me. In a mission, I'm supposed to take over a fort (this is the quest line that will give me 2 of the 4 trophies I need for platinum). Well, at the fort, there is no one to fight & so I cannot complete the mission, & so I cannot complete the quest line & get my well deserved trophies. At this point, I am working towards level 50 for that trophy (I'm at level 42) & then I'm going to load up an old save that may be old enough to save me from restarting the game. And if it comes to restarting, I may not even bother.

Oblivion was so much better when it came to it's problems. Skyrim is just ridiculous. It's going to take a half dozen patches before it becomes truly playable & before it truly deserves it's "game of the year" status. At this point, it's just a broken game, maybe the worst I've ever seen.

A lot of the glitches I was getting are not popping anymore with the patch that launched a week or so ago. Maybe I'm just getting lucky however as I don't think the patch technically fixed some of the specific issues.

UK that FUS RO DAH!!! vid is L O L neato, but my favorite of that meme is with Adam Sandler's Zohan.

Got the platinum last night, or 5am this morning rather. Got to level 50 using my magic, raising my magic levels & thus raising my total level. When I did, I loaded up my oldest save & found I was already a member of the Imperials, which would have lead me right back to the glitch that didn't allow me to finish the quests I needed for the 2 "war" trophies. Luckily, the mission I was on was the one to retrieve the Jagged Crown. After getting it, the soldier said to return it to the Imperial leader. Instead, I took a shot & went to the Stormcloak's leader. He allowed me to join them & I was able to finish the quests for the last 2 trophies. Total time, about 180 hours. Total glitches, too numerous to count. Now, I feel like playing Oblivion again.

I just had to restart. I was glitched as a werewolf. Not in werewolf form mind you, though I have read that can happen too, no I cured myself right after "that quest" and it glitched as being cured and yet not cured. The game took my werewolf powers away and told itself I was cured and thus couldn't be cured again etc, but yet still had me flagged as a werewolf. Resting didn't give bonuses, npcs still referred to me as such. etc. etc. Foolishly I was playing with only two saves and my backup wasn't far enough back to solve the issue. So ticked. I didn't want to be a wolf to begin with and then was glitched into perma-wolf status. LOL Irony.

I just had to restart. I was glitched as a werewolf. Not in werewolf form mind you, though I have read that can happen too, no I cured myself right after "that quest" and it glitched as being cured and yet not cured. The game took my werewolf powers away and told itself I was cured and thus couldn't be cured again etc, but yet still had me flagged as a werewolf. Resting didn't give bonuses, npcs still referred to me as such. etc. etc. Foolishly I was playing with only two saves and my backup wasn't far enough back to solve the issue. So ticked. I didn't want to be a wolf to begin with and then was glitched into perma-wolf status. LOL Irony.

That sucks, but not too bad. Could be worse. You could be stuck as a vampire. Thanks for the congrats. I was a werewolf the entire game & only transformed once (after the initial transform).

the daedric weapon one never popped for me "oblivion walker"

you need to do anything special other than get all the items from the quests?

just need that and lvl 50 to complete it

You only need to have collected 15 of them. I think there are only 17 of them & 4 of them are missable. Also, the skeleton key does not count as one.

I killed the first dragon, just to see what it was like then I reloaded and did not turn in that first quest. So I've been running around doing anything but the main quest this whole time.

So nope, never fought two dragons at once. Maybe your character is EPIC. :)

As for my Stuck As A Werewolve restart, being stuck sucks mildly... but the bigger issue was that glitch (or another one on top of it) somehow made the three main characters of The Companions disappear. The game would direct me to them, but they were nowhere to be found. That double whammy is what pushed me to restarted.

Anyone have 2 dragons show up at the same town? I killed one dragon and on the other side of Solitude, a second dragon showed up.

Yes, many times.

I killed the first dragon, just to see what it was like then I reloaded and did not turn in that first quest. So I've been running around doing anything but the main quest this whole time.

So nope, never fought two dragons at once. Maybe your character is EPIC. :)

As for my Stuck As A Werewolve restart, being stuck sucks mildly... but the bigger issue was that glitch (or another one on top of it) somehow made the three main characters of The Companions disappear. The game would direct me to them, but they were nowhere to be found. That double whammy is what pushed me to restarted.

Man, that sucks.

Congrats!

Also, not fast traveling is cool. Just this morning I discovered that there is a Headless Horseman than wanders the roads of Skyrim at night! LOL You can follow him, usually for-like-EVAR and he leads you to a cave with STUFF! :D

i found him the 2nd day i played it. trailed him into labyrinthium, but after that he just sat there doing nothing

Very good, if somewhat mixed feelings about this installment.

It's definitely no Morrowind, but it's beautiful and light-years better than Oblivion. And while not as revolutionary as Arena or Daggerfall, it's unquestionably a better all-around game. For all the bug-kvetchers out there, I say this: you want to complain about game-breaking glitches, play Daggerfall for a few hours -- it truly makes Skyrim look like the picture of stability. So far, I'd have to rank this as second best entry into the series.

Here's the good:

• Major improvement in the graphics department. There have been a few times Frexspar has looked up at the screen at some city or landscape and said "That looks awesome." She's playing Dead Island right now, and the difference in eye candy is amazing. When you're climbing the mountain steps and run into the snow troll (or, more accurately, when the snow troll runs into you), it feels like you're in a movie!
  • The dragons are awesome, and can be challenging (if you're not a grinder), even at lower levels.
  • As always, love the semi-open world, and the near-perfect mix of linear and non-linear gameplay.
  • Good story (for a video game). Not as engrossing as Daggerfall or Morrowind, but there are enough twists and turns (so far) to keep it fun and interesting. Definitely epic and high quality.
  • Glad they got rid of classes. Class systems are helpful in party-based RPGs, so as to avoid a boring party of do-everything superheroes, but in a game where you are the sole hero, it is an unnecessarily limiting clutter of character management.
  • Much better perk system. Still far from perfect, but it's nice, and a major improvement over Oblivion.
  • Smithing is awesome and ridiculous at the same time. It's a ton of fun to play with; I've probably spent as much time crafting weapons as I have exploring random places, in fact. And it feels good to improve your ability and craft a neat new weapon or piece of armor. With the right combination of skills, it is almost as broken as Alchemy was in Morrowind, but this is not an issue: whether or not you choose to break the game is entirely up to you, so it shouldn't upset hardcore "in character" players.

Then there's the mixed bag:

• Skills. They've winnowed it down from 38 skills in Daggerfall, to 18 in Skyrim, which is both good and bad. I mean, they had skills you'd never even use in the older game -- really, who wants to learn how to talk to Spriggans? -- and redundant skills, as well (light, heavy, and medium armor was overboard), so I consider that a plus. But they've also gotten rid of some of the fun ones, too. I miss Acrobatics and Athletics!
  • Side quests. I give credit where it is due: there are a lot of neat quests that don't simply involve killing things or picking ten flowers or delivering some item. I like the fact that there are love notes, planting evidence, bullying or protecting, altering banking numbers, etc., etc. I really do. But I have to admit that most of the side quests seem a little perfunctory, just a little... lacking. It also seems like there are fifty people in every town who want you to do something for them. So many, in fact, that after a time, I just stopped talking to NPCs in order to keep my quest log from filling up with stuff I'd never do. All in all, very good quests for a modern RPG, but If they had cut the number of side quests in half and added just a little more flesh to the ones remaining, it would have made for an even better game.
  • The music is great! But if my GPS can automatically lower the music's volume when something important is being said, my video game should be able to, too. I don't want to have to use subtitles.
  • Difficulty settings are less broken than they were in Oblivion, but still leave something to be desired. Bad guys dealing twice as much damage isn't the answer. Shoulda implemented a hardcore setting as was available in Fallout: New Vegas.
  • Laughable scaling issues are waaaaay better than they were. I have yet to come across a bandit carrying buckets of Daedric weapons, and haven't heard of it happening to other players, so I suppose it's about as good as it can get. But I still wish they'd just drop it altogether. While I like the whole play-at-your-own-pace aspect of this game, if the Dragonborn can't manage a trip to the Graybeards on his or her own at level 7 without being slain by bandits or trolls or big cats or whatever, well... maybe the Dragonborn should engage in a bit of training and side-questing first. It won't take too long in real time, and to me sure seems preferable and more logical than just having the game make it easier.

But as with every Elder Scrolls game, there are a lot of annoyances, too.

• The voice acting is horrible. Horrible. How can they create such wonderful maps, textures, and effects... only to voice it by some random guy doing a cold reading on his way to the water cooler?
  • The writing is weaker. Not as bad as the voice acting, but the writing for the first three installments was so clever. While better than Oblivion, the lower quality and occasional lack of creativity is noticeable here if you've played the whole series.
  • Getting rid of stats altogether swings the pendulum too far away from nerdy hardcore-RPG toward every generic adventure game out there. So my tiny Bosmer assassin can now carry just as much as my Orc bruiser? And the bag (I'm assuming?) of steel plate helms and gauntlets he's carrying has no discernible effect upon his sneak ability? Ooooookay. I realize not every gamer wants to micromanage their characters, and I do think going away from classes altogether was a good (and long time in coming) change, but they've taken it too far.
  • I have not reached the endgame yet, and am not yet playing at "Expert" level, so perhaps I could be wrong here, but what's with heavy armor? It seems like you can get nearly as much protection from light armor at a lower cost (and with magic and smithing, you can max out protection with either type). Is heavy armor really that much better, or does it just look cooler? How often do you actually plan on falling?
  • They finally allow dual wielding... but it's implemented in such a clumsy and nonsensical manner. What -- all of the sudden, you can't block anything because you're carrying two weapons? I know this is a fantasy game, but c'mon -- they put more thought into close range combat with the bow! Makes me wish I had the PC version so I could mod it. That being said, dual wielding is still devastating against weaker creatures.

Interestingly enough, I have yet to run into any major glitches, though they seem to be commonplace with many players. Maybe it's because I avoid vampirism and lycanthropy (two areas that seem to be plagued with a lot of bugs)?

I'm giving it a preliminary 8.5 rating. After another playthrough on Expert, I may re-rate it.

:eek:

I think you can sneak better in light armour and if you just take off your armour altogether, certainly have to do that if you're a vampire/invisible.

Still not run across any massive bugs but I wish it would autosave a bit more. I'm fed up of getting halfway through the same Dwarven ruins and then being killed by Falmer and having to go right back to the last time I saw a loading screen. I am awful at remembering to save

I think you can sneak better in light armour and if you just take off your armour altogether, certainly have to do that if you're a vampire/invisible.
You can muffle it, but this is yet another reason to wonder why -- other than the fact that it looks cool -- anybody would spend a bunch of perks on heavy armor.

:confused:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.