Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Cape

75 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I think Sonny's on to something. LOL

You know what's weird, I can't really get into dramatic animation. Either movies or series. I love comedy animation and never bought into that whole "I don't watch the Simpsons because cartoons are for kids" crap you heard back when The Simpsons first started. I love the Simpsons, precancelled Family Guy, and Futurama. I even liked early King of the Hill. And I liked most of the Disney/Pixar movies made between 1989-2006 before they started getting too messagey and weird. But those were also heavy with the comedy. But for some reason I just can't buy into drama or superhero animation. It's got to be live action for me to check it out.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Speaking of Disney and Superheroes; 1. I expect good things in the animation department from then once they reel back in all the Marvel Comics licenses. 2. Disney's Incredibles is a fantastic film... superhero, animated or otherwise. That movie is beautiful thanks to it's style and charm. And to bring all this animated talk back towards The Cape and other live action heroes... those properties could learn many things from animated projects about the balance of classic superhero-ing, the tights, the capes, the team-ups, villains, sidekicks etc. It is unbelievable to me that live action can't translate that balance like animated projects can. And I don't believe it is because they are animated! It's a philosophical approach not a technical one.

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
That is a great point. Which I think is why the Tron people brought in the Pixar people for story notes since Pixar is the best at what you're talking about.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
So its pretty Obv that orwell is chess' daughter. I was kinda hoping they'd wait longer for that reveal.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I did too. What would have been even more awesome would have been to tease it and lead us down that path until suddenly revealing it to be somebody else. I was half expecting that move since it was so obvious.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Eh, not a very impressive episode. I'll give it more time, but if it's going to be more of what we saw last night, I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose interest.

Pretty sad that all it takes to rob this hero of his "powers" is to knock him down and give the cape a good tug. And when the former owner kept bragging about how The Cape didn't know how to use the thing like he did, I thought, "Oh, good. Now maybe we'll see it do more than stretch and hit stuff or stretch and grab stuff!". Not so much. I'm really hoping this hero gets more fleshed out soon - both as a person and as a super hero. He's pretty limited in both areas and personally, I need a bit more.

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
I actually thought Monday's episode wasn't too bad. Pacing was good, we finally got some backstory on what the cape is (even if it has ridiculously long reach!). The only thing that was too heavy of a spoon feed was trying to be subtle that Orwell is Chess' daughter. First, the fact that he even has a daughter, or that he cares, or why he wants to get in touch with her was all of like 5 seconds, and then the whole reading palm method of giving the "clue", again it was another rushed moment. Either give us a slow tease, or explain a backstory of what's up.

I did like that he visited his kid again, I wasn't too happy that the kid kept waiting and waiting with no revisit.

I'm confused about something on their website. Monday's episode, which was episode 3 was "Kozmo", yet in the photo gallery, they have a gallery of episode 3 "Dice" which hasn't aired to my knowledge? Next week is Scales on a Train, so it's not next week's either. :confused:

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Sounds like the suits are ****ing up the episode order, changing **** around at the last minute. Not a good sign.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
IMDB has tentative dates for some of the episodes. 'Dice' seems to be scheduled for January 31st. They also don't class either 'Dice' or 'Kozmo' as being episode 3, 4 or 5 for that matter. They have them listed as unknown season, then have an unknown title in place of episodes 3 and 5. Listing 'Scales on a Train' as episode 4. Wiki on the other hand clearly lists 'Kozmo' as episode 3 and 'Dice' as episode 5.

Both sites seem to be user driven though, so take that as you will.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
TV.com is the best source I've ever found for TV info. Much better than IMDB. They've got better info on episode order for this show: http://www.tv.com/th...age_nav;episode

I'll say one thing, I'm NOT looking forward to an episode called "Cape's Day Off." LMFAO

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,746 posts

So its pretty Obv that orwell is chess' daughter. I was kinda hoping they'd wait longer for that reveal.

After enduring all that banal dialogue throughout the first half of the episode, my attention wandered so much through the second half that I guess I missed all the father/daughter clues. Oops. At least I got some reading done. That was nice.

I'd hoped that Thomas Kretschmann as the previous Cape would make for a better foil. Mostly he was grouchy, and all his best tricks happened off-camera between scenes. Stealing Bullseye's shtick did not impress me...to say nothing of the long dissertation my son gave me about an episode of MythBusters ne saw that tested the idea of killer-playing-card-throwing. At first I was irked that he kept talking through scenes, but every time I tried to ignore him and pay attention to the show, I got bored and switched back to him anyway. I haven't seen nearly as much MythBusters as I'd like. The more I hear about it, the more I'm tempted to make it appointment TV. Too bad it's on one of those basic cable channels I always flip right past without stopping.

Wait. What were we talking about?

I did like that he visited his kid again, I wasn't too happy that the kid kept waiting and waiting with no revisit.

Of all the scenes I noticed, that was my favorite.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Mythbusters is keen. I haven't watched an episode in some time, but I used to watch each week. They have some great geek centered episodes too. Testing things like; James Bond gadgets, Speed's bus jump, the feasibility of the Batmobile using a line and hook maneuver to help it turn etc. There's tons of stuff. Quality series.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I've never seen it but I have a fondness for it because a webcomic I love is obsessed with the show and the two hosts.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
Finally got around to watching them. I'm onboard! Very good fun.

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
Goggles lamenting the death of Saturday morning cartoons was the highlight for me last night. I liked these two new villains a lot. Too bad the show is about over. What are there? Four episodes left?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That was a highlight for me because few people know what the hell I'm talking about when I mention Hong Kong Phooey. LOL

Great episode all around.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,746 posts
Goggles and Hicks were a breath of fresh air, if a little awkward.

Otherwise, I've kinda stopped enjoying the show. Our Hero is a wishy-washy mope. The motives of his evil circus buddies make no sense. The train episode was an hour of people wandering back and forth from car to car holding random disconnected conversations, punctuated by a scene between Our Hero and Chess in which Chess would have to be a moron not to realize who the Cape really is. Orwell has less personality than Cameron from Summer Glau's last regular TV gig. "Dice" was okay except her motif reminded me of A Beautiful Mind, Amadeus Cho, and Final Destination -- in short, three things I'd rather have been enjoying instead.

I'm basically hanging on just so I can say I watched the whole thing. It's still better than Heroes.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts

Goggles and Hicks were a breath of fresh air, if a little awkward.

yes! Goggles and Hicks were awesome. I was hoping that they would join the Cape when Chess fired them. I'm sure we'll see them again.

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts

:D

Iceman

Iceman

omit myself

• Members
  • 5,328 posts
So the cops have The Cape in cuffs, but don't take off his mask. Okay. :rolleyes:

I'm also starting to get annoyed with the fact that family members and friends are unable to recognize his voice. Last night's episode was a perfectly annoying example of this where The Cape has numerous scenes with his former best friend and partner. And in past episodes it was with his son. I know. I know. We're suppose to just go with it. Just wish he'd disguise his voice a little.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Yeah, no way they don't take his mask off.

As for the other point, we live in a world where people buy that nobody recognizes Clark Kent as Superman, so we can't start calling BS now. It's too late, we've been buying that Clark Kent crap for 75 ****ing years.

Otanku

Otanku

Hook 'em!

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
so....did the show get the axe?

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Yeah, it's dead.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,746 posts
According to recent reports, NBC isn't even bothering to air the final episode. They're supposed to be dumping it onto their website later this month, to provide much-needed closure for its hardcore fan.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
The most entertaining part of THAT is how they spun it. Check this **** out, this is an exact quote from the website:

The creators of The Cape are prepping an exclusive episode just for online fans! Keep watching this site in the days ahead to see a full-length special episode.

Now, I've seen some world class boolsheet before, some of it right here on this very message board, but that right there wins first prize. They're prepping an exclusive episode just for online fans? Exclamation point?

LAUGH MY ****ING ASS OFF!

"Hey guys! Check this out! We did something special just for you! It's not because we're cancelling the series and think the last episode is a piece of crap not worth showing on our precious network or anything! Nothing like that!"

Nice to see their new reality series BOMBED the other night, by the way. :drool: **** NBC. :drool:

Reply to this topic