Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Witch King VS Gandalf The White

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
By the way i never said kill.

Witch-King of Angmar

Witch-King of Angmar

• Members
  • 4 posts
DUDE OMG!! The wizard school is the in movie and book one. In the movie Fellowship of the ring its where gandalf goes to gondor after bilbo leaves the shire and Frodo is left with the ring at first gandalf goes to gondor seeking to know if the ring bilbo once had was the forgotten Ring of sauron he beggins to look at all those papers and finds what it says when isildur once had the ring. Gandalf did not know until then if the ring that frodo possessed was that of Saurons as not even gandalf knew that Bilbo had the ring until he discovered it was. The part where he returns to the shire and the nazguls are in the shire. you know where gandalf hits Sam with his staff and where they begin the journey to the Inn. and gandalf is stopped by Saruman.

Michael_Martinez

Michael_Martinez

• Members
  • 333 posts
The scene with Gandalf in Gondor is set in a library, not a school. I know they changed a lot of Middle-earth's history for the movies, but I have never seen any reference to a wizard school.

Organic_Spudwalker

Organic_Spudwalker

Head orc

• Members
  • 5,071 posts
There's not one... unless, W-KA, you're thinking of Harry Potter

How on earth you got "wizard school" from one shot of Gandalf studying ancient manuscripts i have absolutely no clue.

CheshireCat

CheshireCat

pet cat of chaos

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
i think if tolkein had discussed gandalf's childhood, it would have befuddled his mystique

(i might be wrong, but the Istari came to Middle Earth as older men, didn't they?)

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
Way to go!

CheshireCat

CheshireCat

pet cat of chaos

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
calm down buddy lol

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
Thanks but it's just no wizarding skool was ever mentioned and in gondor it was just a library, plus i get excited over lil things. No offense WK if it insulted u, but if they will make a scene with gandalf and the WK, shouldn't they make them like draw? I know eowyn has to kill him, but gandalf is awesome, and so is the WK, and there was no need to break gandalfs staff or make him flop around, just like make them fight ordinarily or talk, probably both.

Sir Auron

Sir Auron

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
Witch-King of Angmar IS the Witch-King of Angmar don't front on his knowledge, especially knowledge on himself, KNUBS!!!!!

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
Interesting?!!!

King Arthur

King Arthur

• Members
  • 5 posts
I think "The witch king of angmar" speaks the biggest load of lotr lies that can be made ! . For starters , there is no "wizard school" Gandalf goes to minas tirith to study ancient manuscripts and books of arcane lore - not to learn new magic powers , as has already been said it is not harry potter .

But what i think and know on this topic is that perter jackson did partially exagurate on the scene. Gandalf is a maiar spirit but he comes to middle earth as an elderly man as do all the 5 wizards and from there the valar decreed that they had to find their own powers in middle earth (Glamdring for example) And Gandalf is a powerful creature and he does drive away the 9 ringwraiths (or 5) on weathertop .

I know the witch king is also a powerful being capable of terrible deeds and sorcery and at first i thaught that it was a rubish scene ; but then i thaught about it and now i dont mind it because at the time Gandalf had already been fighting for many long hours and he had already used all his power to save faramirs company from the 3 nazgul (NONE OF WHICH ARE THE WITCH KING BTW) and the witch king suprised him , also the witch king had probably been building up his sorcery over a long time , saving it up and growing in power .

All round i didnt like the scene at first but considering Gandalf had been fighting for a long time already and all the witch king had done was go flying aroumnd on his fell beast , it isnt really that far off i suppose

I hasten to add that im not biased in many ways as Gandalf is my favourite character anyway

Duke

Duke

Lord of the Binge

• Members
  • 4,611 posts

CheshireCat:
i think if tolkein had discussed gandalf's childhood, it would have befuddled his mystique

(i might be wrong, but the Istari came to Middle Earth as older men, didn't they?)

Yes they did. And a spirit older than the world can hardly be said to have had a childhood. Though WKoA:s insistances about a wizarding school for Maiar is pretty funny to think of...

Gandalf: Miss! Miss! The other disembodied entities are picking on me!

Teacher: Sauron, what did I tell you about bullying your classmates?! And stop trying to sell those trinkets at recess, you´re spirits and don´t even have fingers to put them on!

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
LOL

Ness

Ness

Slightly Above Average

• Members
  • 5,954 posts
I guess I'm the only one who actually liked this scene?

I thought it was great and, other than the mouth of sauron, was my favorite omitted scene.

I guess I could have gone without his staff breaking, but do you really want Gandalf whipping all the ass that exists in Middle Earth? Its nice to have a superpowerful badguy in the absence of Sauron. There needs to be a leader.

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
I get the fact that Gandalf couldn't have killed him, but he's too powerful to lose to him as well. By the way i'm gonna start a topic bout the mouth of sauron part, please post on it, guys.

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
Come on guys, some more comments. I thought this would have been a good topic

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
New point: Aragorn chased all the nazgul (including the witch king) with a torch, burning them, so i'm pretty sure that gandalf could at least temporarily chased him away with a spell of fire, which saruman can do so he can most definitely too, plus he has the elven ring of fire, blahblahblah. Any reason for jackson to block out any fire spell?

King Arthur

King Arthur

• Members
  • 5 posts
when aragorn chased the nazgul and when gandalf faught the 9 at weathertop none of them were fully powerful being so far from mordor , and they did not set out in the first place from minas morgul with great power , for they saught only the ring and for that time they knew it was in the hands of a halfling - no need for any fiery swords and sorcery needed there.

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
still, fire spell would chase him away......

Darth Butterbur

Darth Butterbur

• Members
  • 27 posts

wHItE_WIzArD:
Come on guys, some more comments. I thought this would have been a good topic   :(

wHItE_WIzArD:
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Oh, all right, ya big baby! :P

So let's see...
A less powerful Gandalf the Grey can kick a Balrog's arse (a Maia), and a more powerful G the White can use his voice to take down Saruman (a Maia) but is unable to lift a finger against a Ringwraith (an undead man)?

I think what was in the book - the Witch-King breaking down the gates and doing a standoff with Gandalf just before the Rohans arrive - would have been a very cool, intense moment in the film. What was filmed should have been left on the cutting-room floor.

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
LOL I probably am........ In my opinion, a fight between them is what you have to think of in your own mind, and if they do have a duel, Gandalf is too powerful to lose, and he would not just sit there. Like in the game "The Third Age" in Minas Tirith, u relive the fight, and use your guys to help the wizard, but i didn't in spite of the EE scene, only using gandalf, and like one lightning thin took a quarter of the witch kings life whereas G is immune to WK's fear and takes like a millimeter of life in his morgul wind crap. Basically, BAD scene. Anything else ppl would like to remind me of?

Darth Butterbur

Darth Butterbur

• Members
  • 27 posts
Gandalf may have been powerful, but he wasn't allowed to use his might except in the most dire need. Although why he didn't consider facing down the Witch-King a dire need but chasing away fell beasts was, who knows.

white wizard

white wizard

Glass shatters.

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
I would've killed Jackson with my bare hands if he put that scene in the theatrical version.... I know he got me interested in LOTR and made great movies, but lets face it, at least in my opinion, the ROTK EE sucked. Though the TTT 1 was good.

King Arthur

King Arthur

• Members
  • 5 posts
yea i dont like the scene much , but being a film maker you have to create some kind of shocker or spark (and yea i know about that in the third age but i dont think gandalf is immune to fear lol only berethor) anywayi also think Peter Jackson portrayed Gandalf as already bein tired from the battle , whereas the witch king was just letting his fell beast do all the work and saving his own work for Gandalf . Though I do beleive Gandlaf could have realistically won as i have read that when in the book the witch king flees Gandalf to face the rohirrim he is deciding whether to persue the witch king or not and then after the battle he appears sad knowing that he could have saved many innocent lives if he had destroyed the witch king , i dont know where i read it but it was in some kind of fact book or something