"Sherlock" Modern Update from Across The Pond

RangerGal

Placing this one under Science Fiction because of all the relations to it:

"Sherlock" was a program that was whispered to me whilst watching "Merlin". I ignored it until recently.

It's not at all a bad series, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes (almost Dr. Who and "Hawking") and Martin Freeman as Watson(Arthur Dent, Hitchhiker's).

Produced by BBC Wales for Masterpiece Theatre, with the usual affiliation to WGBH Boston, this chronicle of Holmes and Watson is updated; although there are little nods to the original Sherlock Holmes: 1st ep, Sherlock is beating on a corpse exactly as described in the first Holmes story, "A Study in Scarlet." Of course, they renamed it "A Study in Pink". Shades of The Lady In Green, but still, lots of fun.

Other pokes at Doyle's work: Watson is just back from Afghanistan. No, not the one in Victorian times, it's this, the most recent war in Afghanistan.

I've enjoyed two eps of the first season. David Tennant, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss's involvement (All Dr Who-ites) is obvious. The whole thing plays like a Dr. Who ep without the Tardis and sonic screwdriver. We've got the usual Dr. helpers/companions, and things always look bleakest just before the Doctor - oops, no make that Holmes solves the case.

The main gist of it all is that now Homes is in the here and now, solving cases with his cellphone and Watson's little laptop. He's still battling foes with swords and running up and down the streets of London, but instead of a handsome, he's hailing cabs. It's quite surreal.

Anyone else catching or caught this wild little dittie?

It's great. Some of the best Sherlock Holmes ever. The guy they have playing Watson (Tim from the original Office and Arthur Dent from the Hitchhiker's movie) is really good. So is the guy playing Holmes (Benedict Cumberpatch).

Absolutley! Martin Freeman grabbed me from the very beginning. He's a fine actor. I'm reserving judgement on Benedict (though what I've seen has been lots of fun).

I just took in the last ep! I didn't know they only made three?! Alas! I did stumble upon an articel that siad that "The Who-heads" (my little term for the writers) are so busy with Dr. Who right now that htey've only time for a little meeting to discuss when they can get back to it. Approved, surely! But how many eps, etc?! I'll be waiting impatiently, I can tell you that much.

They left us on such a cliiff-hanger!

I shan't spoil anyone on it, but oh, god, just when it was getting really good, they pulled the carpet out!

So worth watching, I might watch all of them again. :)

I've read there's an unaired pilot.

Mmm..doubtful since they started with "A Study In Pink", a parallel to "A Study in Scarlet"which is the introduction of Watson to Holmes.

Can't think of where they were before that, unless they tracked Watson thru Afghanistan and Holmes through his 'experiments" and earlier solo investigations.

That was weird. It's essentially the same episode -- many situations and dialogue -- but a different director and scenes. Like a rough draft. Though I kind of prefer this version's "pink victim" and Holmes' encounter with the killer.

Just watched "A Study in Pink" & it's great! I like the way the clues just pop up as words on the screen. They could have went the "Mentalist" way & ripped off "Psych" with it's glowing clues, but this way feels right with Holmes observations. I have the other 2 episodes & will probably watch them this week.

watched the first two now. i loved a study in pink, especially since i guessed right who it was. the second one seemed to be trying to recreate conan doyle's predeliction for oriental mystery, but didn't seem all that interesting to me. onto the great game now, should be good. then after this; last night's castle!

edit: wrong episode title.

Watched A Study In Pink a few nights ago after seeing this thread. Great episode, the length made it seem like a movie. The floating texts that popped up were a neat touch. Really like the two leads, too, I thought they were perfect for their parts and made a great pair.

So will this be a regular series like Doctor Who eventually?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it when it aired here originally, and really enjoyed it. The second outing was the weakest of the three though.

My only real problem with it was the similarities (in some ways) between Sherlock and the Eleventh Doctor. Given that they're both Steven Moffatt, that's not hugely surprising, but it would have been better if they hadn't aired quite so close together.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.