Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Season V NFF Issues/Discussion Topics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
196 replies to this topic

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
I think we have those listed in here.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts
Couldn't remember, didn't feel like reading.

More a mental note for myself really.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Then write it in your notepad in your profile and leave us alone!

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
On the what in the who?

I'm thinking that we should maybe try and get these issues sorted straight after my week long Uberbowl victory celebration. That way people don't disappear easily. We know how getting people active for a certain time period doesn't seem to always work.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Considering how long it takes us to talk about/decide ****, what's the plan about drafting if the lockout continues through when we usually draft? Do we draft as usual even though we don't know where free agents will end up and how that impacts various players and teams? When we think about how long it takes us to draft, if the NFL gets a deal done in Sept and is all like "okay, you teams have a week to figure out free agents and two weeks for training camp and then we're rolling" we might not have time to draft.

Obviously I'm going worse case scenario because if it isn't the worst case, we don't have an issue.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

Other topics I want to bring up after the Uberbowl:

- Revamp of keeper rules (right now no penalty for keepers)
- Expansion of gameday rosters (I want to add 1 RB position)
- Potential expansion for Otanku and Ashaman
- Playoff for #1 pick (for those who don't make the playoffs)

*Penalty for keepers? I can't see the logic of penalizing people for keeping players in a keeper league. However, I think maybe the time has come to do away with the "charity rule", as we did in the NBF. Every team gets four keepers, plus the option for one developmental player. Period. The reverse draft order (worst to first) is really what is designed to help those teams improve. Your keepers should come from your team, not someone else's - which is essentially what happens with the "pre-draft draft picks".

*I absolutely hate the idea of 3 starting RB's and for the usual reasons: there's no real need for a change and it only takes our game further away from "real football". Even having two full-time rushers is stretching things, but at least you do occasionally see that in the NFL. Running back by committee results in three part-timers, not three starters.

*I'm on the fence about expansion. Do they both want in, for certain?

*Again, the reverse draft order is to help the teams that need it most. A full season's schedule tells you that much more than one or two late season games. The post-season should be all about the chase for the trophy.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

For now, I think we can leave this one alone. Maybe in the future, and myself included, apply a "penalty" in situations where certain teams go X amount of seasons within the top three teams. IE you go three seasons in a row being in 1st/2nd/3rd, you waive your right to a 4th keeper until you finish 4th or below. Not trying to incite anything radical or start a riot, just throwing an idea out there

Maybe. I kind of like this, but I wouldn't want it balooning out of control on weekly match-ups. Most of the time, it's a close game. Sometimes we have blowouts, but not very often. I know most of my games were decided by less than 10 pts

I could dig this too, as larger leagues allow for more competition and more strategy is called for when the rosters aren't as stacked

I think for now, biggest loser getting the #1 pick is fine. If we came up with some kind of neat lottery system, that mighbt be neat. I have a few ideas, but I'll save 'em for later.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

One more argument against this: strategy. The current format allows for some very interesting - and important coaching decisions by an owner. Do I go with 2 backs or go 3-wide? If I go with 2 backs, which ones do I go with? (A dilemma I personally faced most of last season at both RB and QB - of course, some leagues use two QBs, which makes as much sense as three RBs, so that may be the next proposal if this were to pass).

Acquiring the right players is part of the equation, but playing the right ones at the right time is traditionally a huge part of our league. We lose some of that if we expand to three backs.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts

-Hate penalty for keepers.
-Not in favor of changing lineup (but won't throw a hissy fit if everyone wants it)
-I'm for it but they must commit and we have to do this SOON.
- Anti-Playoff pick. Worse record gets #1 pick and so on.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
ESPN NFF Keepers Deadline set: Sunday, July 17th 8:00pm ET

Edited by Rock, 30 June 2011 - 07:29 AM.

• groove terminator +1 this

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts
Is it usually that early? Let's move it back. Being that there's no deal yet.

edit: Yeah, I guess it was almost the same date last year. I still think we should move it back. No deal and no predraft = no point in it being quite this early.

Edited by Lucas1138, 30 June 2011 - 12:34 AM.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
I don't see an option to change it.

And I'm starting a rookie Keepers list on the REAL thread.

*** Found the setting.

ESPN NFF Keepers Deadline set: Sunday, July 17th 8:00pm ET

Edited by Rock, 30 June 2011 - 07:30 AM.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
So, should we put those points to a vote? I can make up a ballot and PM them. What else do you all want on the ballot?

groove terminator

groove terminator

There are two rules for success: 1.) Don't tell all you know

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
do it
though i have kinda given up trying to understand everything people are going on about with their agendas
so i dont really care to be honest, just let me know the rules/expectations and ill comply

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
I don't see us doing anything too drastic, just a few tweeks here and there. If we're going to do expansion, it's gonna have to be SOON or we wait til next season.

groove terminator

groove terminator

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
agreed
but what about the whole drama of me having access to the FA on a tuesday before everyone else?
is that sorted because i'd rather not be blamed for that sort of thing again

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts

agreed
but what about the whole drama of me having access to the FA on a tuesday before everyone else?
is that sorted because i'd rather not be blamed for that sort of thing again

I need to look at the thread again, but I think it's pretty much a done deal that we're changing it to a waiver system of some kind. When I make the ballot, I'll put all the choices that were suggested.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
I think I should send out "feelers" to our expansion possibility to see who wants a team. Right now the potentials are:

Ashaman
OTanku

Would anyone like to nominate a potential franchise owner? Keep in mind, the person we want to bring on will be enthusiastic, is a Nightly REGULAR... not someone that makes a few post once every other month just to obnoxiously talk sh*t then leaving, loves football and dependable.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts
I will say, if we expand, the best option is to reduce keeper number to 3, let the newbs have a predraft to fill their rosters out then stick em somewhere in draft order. You could bump keepers back up tp 4 next year or keep it at three.

groove terminator

groove terminator

• Members
  • 2,915 posts
do we really need to expand when austin is M.I.A again? even during the season he only keeps his roster up to date, shouldnt we get in house settled before expanding?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts

- Penalty for keepers makes the most sense, but who said we were looking for sensical.
- I would only want to expand gameday rosters if we expanded the league, and in that case I'd want another flex. And maybe tweak scoring to reward for return points.
- I'd be okay with it, and likely even think that its kick ass, but I'm indifferent to the proposal right now unless they realllllly want in.
- Meh.

edit: to be clear, I wasn't taking a cheapshot at people who don't want a keeper penalty, I don't want it either. That's a pretty big change and after 5 seasons that's not a big change I want to make.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,246 posts
By the way, do we want to add the scoring changes I made to DEF/ST on page 1?

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
I'll add it to the ballot

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
I sent out feelers to ash, otanku and krawlie, who will tell me to stfu... but I tried :)

Ash loves it! Krawlie politely declined :)

Edited by Rock, 30 June 2011 - 10:11 PM.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
OKAY.....

Garrison and I just spent the last 4 hours hammering out the ballot. I'm going to give you the Item lists we came up with just to see if there's a subject we left out. I'll give you guys two days then I'll send out the ballot via PM to each of you to returned to me ONLY. I'll tally up the votes and announce the results asafp.

Item 1. Pre-Draft Keeper Welfare Picks
Item 2. Expansion of Gameday Line-Ups
Item 3. Potential Leaque Expansion (Please note that this will be the vote on IF we expand at all and not on potential individuals)
Item 4. Playoff for #1 pick (Toilet Bowl Championship)
Item 5. New Scoring for Defensive Scoring
Item 6. Multiple Team Playoff Ties

Any questions, comments or additional items?

OH... if you're wondering why there isn't an item for Waiver.... it's because an executive decision has been made to install the default ESPN waiver system for this season. We'll see how it goes and we can make changes to it (if needed) next off season.

Edited by Rock, 02 July 2011 - 09:53 AM.