Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Season V NFF Issues/Discussion Topics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
196 replies to this topic

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
The Ravens have allowed the fewest yards in the NFL and the fourth fewest points at just 13.7 ppg. And what huge reward am I reaping in the fantasy world from them? A whopping 4.3 points a game. Damn, I know sacks and turnovers are important too, but the main job of a defense is to keep the other team out of the end zone. Giving up 14 pts a game will almost certainly make you a top five D in real life, yet it'll only earn you 1 stinkin' point in fantasy. And there are twenty NFL defenses (almost 2/3 of the league) whose average points allowed would merit zero or negative fantasy points. Even including sacks & turnovers, only four D/ST in the entire league are averaging double digit fantasy points.

I cannot say it enough: we need to revamp how we do this position. :no:

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,239 posts
Some slight alterations on the current system:

0 points allowed: 10 points
1-10 points allowed: 7 points
11-17 points allowed: 5 points
18-24 points allowed: 3 points
25-28 points allowed: 0 points
29-34 points allowed: -3 points
35-42 points allowed: -5 points
43+ points allowed: -7 points

0-150 yards allowed: 5 points
151-250 yards allowed: 3 points
251+ yards allowed: 0 points

Any Touchdowns: 6 points

Fumbles Forced: 1 point

Fumbles Recovered: 2 points

Blocked FG/PAT/Punt: 3 points

Sack: 1 point

Interception: 2 points

Safety: 2 points

----------------------

That's pretty much all the revamping you can hope to do. Even that would radically change the position. I have no idea how else you want to change it. That's the way it is.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
That is pretty much perfect to me. They get rewarded for solid efforts as well as turnovers but also removes points for poor performances (which is needed).

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I don't have time for in depth thinking & analysis right now, Gar, but from first glance, I like what you have there and it would be a tremendous improvement. I'm not moving for anything radical, just to give the position a bit more importance/fairness and elevate it a bit closer to its real life counterpart. From what I see, this would do the trick. Only negative points for really bad days, some decent points for not giving up scores, and with an added bonus if you totally shut them down offensively. Like I said, I'll look at it closer when I have more time, but I already like it a ton more than what we have currently. :thumbsup:

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts

The Ravens have allowed the fewest yards in the NFL and the fourth fewest points at just 13.7 ppg. And what huge reward am I reaping in the fantasy world from them? A whopping 4.3 points a game. Damn, I know sacks and turnovers are important too, but the main job of a defense is to keep the other team out of the end zone. Giving up 14 pts a game will almost certainly make you a top five D in real life, yet it'll only earn you 1 stinkin' point in fantasy.

What you say is true, but that just means you picked the wrong team in the draft. You shouldn't worry about picking a defense that gives up few points but sucks in all fantasy point areas, you should worry about picking a defense that's going to score you fantasy points. That's two different things. There are plenty of skill position players who will help their real team win real games but won't do jack in fantasy football. So you don't draft those players. You draft players (or defenses) who will score you fantasy points.

What's going on here, DL, is you want us to change the rules to cover for you drafting a bad fantasy defense. Hey, you screwed up, we all do, but none of the rest of us are trying to change the rules to cover our asses. Next year draft a defense that's going to score fantasy points. As you said, there's only a handful of high scoring defenses, but that just means if you want one you have to draft one higher like I did and like a couple other people did.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Dex, with all due respect: WTF are you talking about?!? There's so much of what you said that doesn't make sense. Such as the fact that, traditionally, the Ravens are one of the top fantasy D/ST (you notice I haven't cut them, either, because I still believe they'll start producing). Also, I was the second person to draft a D/ST (just one round after Ex took the Jets). And how the hell would changing the scoring system next year help me this season?!?

What's going on here, ShadowDog, is that I've long been against negative points given to K's & D/ST and I've always felt they should be a bigger contributer. You act like this is the first time I ever brought this up. It just so happens that the Ravens provide a perfect illustration as to why I think we should change it and, because they are on my team, I'm very aware of their fantasy production. As for fantasy vs reality, I've always been pretty consistent in trying to get one to follow the other whenever feasible. Other positions are set up so that, by and large, a good player in reality is a good player in fantasy. As it should be.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
****, let's just make this an IDP league and then that problem solves itself!

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
NO IDP'S! :P

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,239 posts
I actually don't think you can do IDPs in an ESPN league.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
I don't see why we shouldn't mod the D/ST stats next season. We're all on the same crutch with the same defenses to choose from, so it's not like anyone is getting screwed over someone else. I think Lohr just wants us to change the way defenses are scored so going forth (next season) we can draft defenses that will produce points that reflect their actual real-life performances.

Oh, and I'm adding "IDP" to the swear filter when I get home.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
Exactly, Rock.

And I just threw out the IDP league because I was annoyed. I actually did enjoy the IDP league I belonged to years ago, but with the way things are here at Nightly, we'd probably have to start drafting in June. :unimpressed:

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
What's wrong with IDP leagues? That's kind of a strong reaction. LMFAO

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate IDPs.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
But why? Don't short sheet me on the angry rant, brah! :drool:

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,239 posts
I actually really like IDPs. But I'm perfectly happy with keeping them in the yahoo league.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
If kickers and d/st are worthless, IDPs are worth even less. Less than worthless. Think about that. It's just a pure-luck guess instead of educated guesses.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
How so? You can tell what players are good tacklers, rack up the sacks, and have a nose for the ball. How is that any different than figuring out which guys are going to throw for a lot of yards or catch a bunch of TDs? :confused:

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,239 posts
lol yeah, Lohr is correct. They're just another positional player when it comes down to it. Interceptions are somewhat 'random' but that's okay because they're generally only worth two points.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
F*ck that. Keep that crap in yahoo. besides, you can't even do it in ESPN so why are we even talking about it?

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,239 posts
Easy there killer.

Just cause you don't understand how it works doesn't mean the rest of us don't either ;)

and I already brought up that you couldn't do it in ESPN.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
And I already mentioned that it wouldn't be practical for the way we draft. No real need to take it so personally there, Rock. What - did an IDP league rape your dog once or something? :confused:

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
nevermind

Darth Irish

Darth Irish

Daily, nightly, and ever so rightly.

• 14,874 posts
We can do IDP on espn.

I'd also like to think about redoing the keeper rules in the league. Maybe a maximum 3-4 year contract per each keeper.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,702 posts
I don't ask for much. I've arguably done more for this league than everyone put together and never once asked for anything in return. That being said, I refuse to do IDPs and ask that we not go in that direction.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,239 posts
Oh come on, Rock. That would hardly be fair to anyone that does want IDPs (not that we even have any of those people!). That's like me not wanting to play with Tight Ends because I hate them. And you know how much I hate tight ends.