What if Phil Lynott were alive today?

Pong Messiah

Guest El Chalupacabra

I wonder if there is an alternate universe out there where Phil Lynott is still alive and playing for Thin Lizzy, the twin towers still stand, Rick Allen still has two arms, Steve Perry still sings for Journey, and the PT didn't suck.

• 3 months later...

Fun fact of the day: lots of people have performed the music of Philip Lynott. Huey Lewis, Motörhead, Dave Grohl, Billy Corgan (ew), and half of the Sex Pistols come to mind off-hand, but there are several more. Some of them have even done a passable job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGsirZmu4D4

Phil's repeated exclamations of "OLA!" in "Old Town" is clearly a reference to the Russian settlement, while the piccolo trumpet harks back to old Europe. Obviously, he was transmitting a subversive message of peace and understanding between East and West.

Guest Amidala777

Lynott, and Thin Lizzy for that matter, are somehow underrated. Especially given that almost every metal and hard rock band has stated Thin Lizzy as a critical influence. It's a real shame that most people these days associate "Whiskey in the Jar" as a Metallica song. That f-cking pisses me off.

One thing you haven't covered yet (although this has perhaps nothing to do with Thin Lizzy), is goddamn they have some great album art. Who can forget Vagabonds of the Western World or Nightlife (even if the albums are medicore). And then, of course, Jailbreak (which has practically zero low points).

On the other hand, you have the cover "art" of Fighting. Ick. Although the album itself is pretty good. And then you have Chinatown, which is pretty much a disaster now matter how you cut it.

It's a real shame that most people these days associate "Whiskey in the Jar" as a Metallica song. That f-cking pisses me off.
It's a shame Metallica didn't retire after their black album (have they recorded anything decent since then?)...

But yeah, I've heard people give Metallica credit for writing "Whiskey in the Jar," which is hilariously retarded -- unless Metallica was somehow writing ballads in the mid 1600s, in which case, boy do I have some egg on my face. Regardless, their version is terrible; even the Grateful Dead's is better.

:eek:

Guest El Chalupacabra
It's a real shame that most people these days associate "Whiskey in the Jar" as a Metallica song. That f-cking pisses me off.

Indeed, it was a horrible rendition. I wish someone would tell James Hetfield, despite what he thinks, he really can't sing.

It's a shame Metallica didn't retire after their black album (have they recorded anything decent since then?)...

Absolutely not, and I have had the same thought many a time.

And Thin Lizzy should have never reformed after Lynott, as Thin Lizzy. Sort of like how Page and Plant never referred to themselves as Led Zeppelin after Bonham died.

Guest Amidala777

For the most part, I'd agree with you guys, but I think Death Magnetic is pretty good. It's no Justice, but it's the closest we're ever gonna get, in this era, to 80s style thrash.

Agreed re: Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy. But on a slight tangent- not all bands become horrible after their leads depart/keep the band name. See, for example, Black Sabbath's Dio period.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Death Magnetic was decent, and it is sort of a throwback to the 80s, but as far as I am concerned, it still doesn't make up for Some Kind of Monster and St Anger. And I could have done without Unforgiven III.

It's tough to go up against music biz monsters like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, KISS, Aerosmith and Queen with nothing but talent. Those bands had the industry behind them and the industry can only sustain so many superstars at once. I think Thin Lizzy's lack of acclaim and commercial success was due to poor timing and nothing but. They clearly had the talent, the looks and the charisma.

Guest El Chalupacabra

True MG, and I loves me some covers of those bands ....if well executed (IE whenever Ann Wilson covers Zeppelin, GnR covering Mamma Kin, Mettalica did a decent job of Stone Cold Crazy, even). Metallica's rendition of Lizzy's Whiskey can only be described as "terrible." Well, "insult" comes to mind, too.

Guest Amidala777

Death Magnetic was decent, and it is sort of a throwback to the 80s, but as far as I am concerned, it still doesn't make up for Some Kind of Monster and St Anger. And I could have done without Unforgiven III.

Every time someone argues that God exists, I point out the existance of St. Anger.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Every time someone argues that God exists, I point out the existence of St. Anger.

:lol:

I think Thin Lizzy's lack of acclaim and commercial success was due to poor timing and nothing but. They clearly had the talent, the looks and the charisma.
Agreed, though the bad timing was 99% self-inflicted. It's not like the record companies didn't want them to become huge. How many "big break" American tours did they miss out on because of Phil getting hepatitis, Robbo shattering his hand, or Gary Moore walking out mid-tour -- 50?

But it sounds like he hated the junk in "Toughest Street in Town" and "Got to Give It Up."

You're not suggesting he was a drug user, are you?

Who--me? Never. I just noticed the needle marks between his toes and took a wild guess.

• 1 month later...

Amanda, an excellent performance of "Cowboy Song" was in the second post of this thread. And it truly is a great song. Only Phil could write a song laden with promiscuity, double entendre, and the agonizingly tired (even in the 1970s) "Rocker as Cowboy" motiff, and manage to pull it off with sincerity, longing, and a self-assured masculinity that never steps over the line into machismo. Just some great ****ing songcraft there.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I´m sure Phil would have reminded those Syrians that this is the toughest street in town and that they don´t stand a chance if they go down in Chinatown. To you and me, he´s a renegade. (Which btw is a criminally underrated song, I named by first company after it!)

And yes I had to bump this. Because politics are boring unless coupled with Lizzyness.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.