Fan Boys/Fans

phonz3

To me fanboy or fan boils down to how you view the flaws of the Prequels. To me a fanboy believes they are the perfect films and spends countless time defending every aspect of the Prequels. A fan acknowledges that there are weaknesses in the Prequels.

This is not to say that everyone who defends the Prequels is a fanboy. I will gladly defend AOTC against being nominated as one of the worst films of the year (don't go there) and I will defend it against nitpicking such as "...the CGI characters didn't leave footprints in the arena sand" (you know who you are). However I can (and have) acknowledged that the CGI is overdone in some scenes and that the acting and dialogue are bad at times.

quote:

Originally posted by Wald:

Justus, about #34 on your list...do Twi'leks count? I mean, the one with Jabba in ROTJ is hot!

Well....I will say anything about it if you go that way!

quote:

I wonder if there is anyone who meets every sign on your list?

I doubt any single person would meet every item on the list, but i've met some with most of the signs, and they seem SO consumed by anything connected to SW.

Darth Feral:

To me fanboy or fan boils down to how you view the flaws of the Prequels. To me a fanboy believes they are the perfect films and spends countless time defending every aspect of the Prequels. A fan acknowledges that there are weaknesses in the Prequels.

This is not to say that everyone who defends the Prequels is a fanboy. I will gladly defend AOTC against being nominated as one of the worst films of the year (don't go there) and I will defend it against nitpicking such as "...the CGI characters didn't leave footprints in the arena sand" (you know who you are). However I can (and have) acknowledged that the CGI is overdone in some scenes and that the acting and dialogue are bad at times.

As a matter of fact, I think some of the biggest critics of the Prequels have been what I would call Fanboys.

Oh, and critics. :)

Jedi Cool:

As a matter of fact, I think some of the biggest critics of the Prequels have been what I would call Fanboys.

Yes, I think there is a separate caption of fanboys I would call "Classic Fanboys." These are the people who want the Prequels to be re-makes of the OT. They also want every little line in the OT explained in great detail in the Prequels. These "Classis Fanboys" are out in droves following the release of a Prequel questioning why we didn't learn where General Riekkan came from and asking why we didn't see any TIE Fighters.

I would say there are also "Ultra-Fanboys" who claim that one little flaw ruined a Star Wars movie.

quote:

Originally posted by Darth Feral:

These are the people who want the Prequels to be re-makes of the OT.

Personally, I have not encountered anyone wanting the PT to be "remakes" of the OT...

...BUT, another entry on the Fanboy list must be added (and its one Prequels visitors should be very familiar with):

42. You bash one or all OT actors as a way of bolstering any crappy performances seen in the PT.

Yep, 'ol number 42 is no stranger to the Prequels forum, as this kind of situation occurs the second anyone points out the wooden, robotic or lackluster performances in the PT, almost as though kicking OT performances will bring "balance" (no pun intended) to the perceptions of the OT and the existing PT films, or convince anyone that most of the PT acting is on some higher (believable) level than that of the OT.

Euronymous:

Define "nuts" then.

Did your parents not teach you the difference between boys and girls? :)

Seriously, I have to agree that fanboys are either all about the PT or all about the OT. To me they both contribute in different ways. I see flaws in all the Star Wars films...but they are films and not something George Lucas received in a vision while viewing a burning bush...

More for the Star Wars Fanboy list:

43. You are of the belief the Special Editions are SUPERIOR to their original versions in every possible way, going so far as to suggest that EVERY addition--specifically the ROTJ musical sequence, ESB-Luke's girly scream, Boba Fett in ANH, the manipulation of Han stepping on Jabba's tail or "Greedo shoots first" are all fine and in no way unnecessary or altering perceptions of content.

This kind of Fanboy/girl relentlessly defends the SEs and has been known to exhibit habits of questioning the fandom(!) of anyone expressing problems with the Special Editions as though they have no reason to have problems with or dislike any of the additions.

44. You visit Star Wars-related message boards, where all opinions are accepted, but you attack anyone with even a slight criticism about any part of SW, as though the message board exists for only one kind of opinion, and any astonishingly mislabeled "negative" opinion is not "allowed."

If you are this sort of person, you might have the tendency to hurl words like "basher" around or make upside-down comments such as "why do you post here?" or "if you do not like this Prequel film, you will not like the next one"

More to come! laugh laugh

When I was babysitting my 4 year old nephew we were watching AOTC (his choice). Around about the part when Padme falls out of the chopper he started digging through his box of Star Wars toys. He pulled out Yoda, then he pulled out Dooku then he went searching some more and found a red lightsaber which he put in Dooku's hand and a green saber for Yoda. Then he sat back and waited. When the scene came on he recreated it with his action figures.

That's what I call a Fanboy.

Your list is very funny Justus. The only problem is #27. Having sex with a girlfriend does not apply to fanboys as they have neither sex nor a girlfriend.

"Based on the most logical race in the galaxy, the Vulcans, we will only mate once every seven years. For many of you that is much less. For me that is much, much more."

"Be careful with my prized collection of bumper stickers. Especially that one (points to a bumper sticker that reads My other car is a Millenium Falcon). It was given to me by a Harrison Ford look alike."

"Oh Jar-Jar. Everyone hates you except me."

- Comic Book Guy, The Ultimate Fanboy.

Darth Feral:

Your list is very funny Justus. The only problem is #27. Having sex with a girlfriend does not apply to fanboys as they have neither sex nor a girlfriend.

Yay im not a fanboy!

To me a fanboy is either

a) Someone who spends their entire life defending anything Sw related coz they have nothing better to do.

or

B) Someone who spends their entire life bashing Sw coz they have nothing better to do.

angeluss:

To me a fanboy is either

a) Someone who spends their entire life defending anything Sw related coz they have nothing better to do.

or

B) Someone who spends their entire life bashing Sw coz they have nothing better to do.

You may have a good point with "a" however, "b" is not applicable since someone spending "their entire life bashing" SW (read: 100% of their free time)in a literal sense would not be a fan at any level, but you do see examples of real fans with many problems regarding SW (OT, PT or both) as noted in many Nightly threads by several members.

I know a few Star Trek and LOTR fans fitting your "b" very well because they cannot stand SW to any degree and regularly place it on the level of a cartoon, so in this sense, that type of person would fit "b" but this person or people would be FanBoys of another catagory.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.