Final Fantasy XIV

TuskenRaider

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures from today! They've about quadrupled the amount of time the beta is currently available for during the day so I'll be able to post many more screens more often.

(continued in next post)

(continued in next post)

I've recorded a bunch of video as well, but I'm not sure how decent quality it is as I was running the game at full resolution, making recording with Fraps lag the game to the point where it makes the game look worse than it is. I'm going to reduce the resolution later and take some better quality videos.

Looks great once again.

All the stuff I've seen so far though show solo battles. Maybe, like FFXI, before you get into any party battles, you have to level up on your own for awhile, so maybe you haven't gotten that far. But I'm curious how those are going to be.

The more I see about this game, the more awesome it looks. I think I'll definitely be pre ordering the collectors edition.

Here is a video somebody posted of the Hyur females new emotes. Looks like there is at least 40+ of them, so that's pretty damn cool.

BUT, does the Tarutaru dance make a return, I wonder?!

Also, I'd like to see the Mi'qote ones also.

Edit:

yes, it appears the Panic dance returns, as well as another dance.

WOW! This game is so pretty. I'd love to play when this game launches for the PC but I just ran the benchmark and apparently I can't! :angry:

I honestly don't understand because I have an XPS notebook and it's only a year old.

My specs:

Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 3670 512MB

My score:

17000 millisec load time :(

I guess I have to wait for the PS3 version... :cry:

Yeah, any kind of notebook or laptop probably isn't going to have the specs to do it.

But was your 863 in the low res version?

The benchmark is kinda messed up anyways, the general consensus is that it's giving a lot of people pretty low scores. But if you'rs is 863, I dont know if you'd want to risk buying the game and then have it not play worth a damn.

The minimum specs on the official site for the Beta Test list:

Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz

2GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 2900 512MB or higher.

So you surpass all those specs....

My load times always seem to be like 34,000 something or another. so I'm not sure why mine is so high. But I get 3,500 on the low res test.

I had to run mine on "low" because my LCD is 1330x738, so 1280x720 is the only one that will fit.

I might try closing every other background app, except wifi and see what happens. I played XI on a laptop and it ran just fine, so I was rather miffed that my score was so low, considering I have a pretty awesome notebook. :angry:

I would definitely be up for another NN linkshell. If I end up having to wait until the PS3 version, then hopefully some of you earl adopters will be willing to have a new job to level for the PS3 folks so that way I don't have to worry that I'm 50 levels behind in order to start partying :p

I'm assuming they will still have job switching capabilities? I always thought the ability to just switch job titles was a great MMO feature vs some others that made you have to create another character to try a different job class.

Well, they are claiming that there are no jobs, per say.

Even though, there is like.. Gladiator and Lancer and whatever.

It sounds like the jobs will be dependent on the weapons. In all the interviews, they keep saying that like... say you're out fishing and some friends come by and want to go party, you could simply put away your fishing pole, take out your sword and you are good to go. Or, say a little ways into the party and another gladiator shows up, but you need another mage. well you can put the sword away and take out your staff and you're ready to go again.

Sounds pretty fluid to me, I think they are trying to really streamline it so you can play alone, and still be able to do the quests. It was always a pain in the ass in FFXI to have to go find a moogle in order to switch your job.

The weapons themselves are said to have levels instead of the job. So I'm not sure how that works exactly, maybe Seph can chime in about that.

But, like in FFXI, you still only need one character to be able to experience ALL the jobs or roles that the game has.

As for the benchmark though, I would wait til it gets closer to release to really decide if you can play it or not. By all indications, the benchmark is somewhat broken. lol So you may be able to run it a lot better than it claims.

oh, are they going to re-release the benchmark? Also, they had 2 download areas (nvidia and squenix). I did the squenix one, I'm assuming it didn't matter?

I didn't mind going to the house moogle to chain jobs so much. My prior concern was the game's inability to truly self-level aside from Beast Master (and even then it was a chore due to needing to always enchant a pet), and that hampered interest for me in the end, since playing catch up meant I had to go find random parties just to go play with peeps I really wanted to party with.

I understand the MMO experience is dependent on party play since the point of MMO is to play with others, I just feel there should be a better balance as well, so that certain features or abilities that are experienced at certain level marks can be attained by solo players as well so they don't discourage people from exiting the game prematurely that don't have the patience to see the cooler features with forced party play (e.g. people who didn't want to endure the Valkurn Dunes level grind which couldn't be done without parties just to get to level 30 in order to try out Summoner which is all they would have wanted to play in the first place).

Well, they are trying to make the game a lot more solo able, from the sounds of it. Another example of the job switching was like... say you're fighting a monster and you get poisoned. After the battle, you can switch to a mage class and fix it right up, instead of just waiting for it to end.

I think partys will still be a big part of it, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be anywhere near as dependent on them as FFXI was. A lot of the GuildLeves they said you should be able to do solo.

Also, i dont think they are going to rerelease the benchmark, but if you try the minimum beta specs that they list on the website, and you do the benchmark with those, it will tell you that you can't play. so wtf. Something is messed up with it, and I suspect that the real scores aren't as low as the benchmark might give you. not sure what's up with it. Like.. from what i've read on message board and stuff, it doesn't seem like the benchmark really compensates for multiple cores in your CPU or if you have 2 graphics cards.

So I guess the only other question I have int hat scenario is: does that mean one set of actual 'gear' is fine, and changing the weapon is what affects job change? I know it was cool seeing different armor vs different mage gear in XI, but the one thing taht was a huge PIA was the storage problems with all that gear.

If you don't have any gear changes, that's a plus in some ways, but then does that mean we'll have a bunch of clones wearing the same "level 30" gear? Oh look, there's the level 30 elves! Oh look, there's the level 50 elves?

I know we could say that about, say a level 30 warrior vs a level 50 warrior, but that was much different than ALL the level 30's in one set of armor. :shrug:

Again, I'm not sure exactly how it all works.

Seph needs to get back in here and give us some info from somebody who is actually playing the beta. haha.

I think there are still going to be a ton of different armor choices, just like before. I'm not sure if the weapons themselves actually level up, or if like.. say.. your sword level, goes up . And the higher your sword level, then the higher equipment you can use, that sort of thing.

Also, instead of subjobs, apparently you will be able to mix and match abilities that you've learned from previous jobs. Not sure exactly WHAT abilities you can carry over, if there is a limit or whatever. But it appears that you could combine abilities from like 3 or 4 jobs all at once, and make your own class, sorta thing.

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/recom/na/pc.html

New today are the RECOMMENDED PC settings. Note, that these are for playing the game in windowed mode with high textures and some AA and what not.

Pretty high, but I think I'm in good shape. My processor is a little under what they say, but not by a ton.

Maybe these are the settings in mind, that the benchmark uses to calculate score. That would make sense. I think I posted the minimum settings somewhere on the first page, and they are significantly lower than these.

I read they are trying to future proof this a little bit by having the graphics geared toward the high end, so in a few years they will still look pretty good compared to current games, instead of getting dated quickly.

I think I noticed why my test was unusually low based on that specs page:

* On a 64-bit OS, the software will run via WOW64 ( Windows 32-bit On Windows 64-bit ).

My OS is Vista 64-bit, and if they are activating a 32-bit service layer process in order to run the game, that's going to impact how the hardware can run it. I think that's kind of dumb since the 64 bit OS utilizes the true power of the dual core CPU and the 32-bit processes don't. :angry:

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for the PS3 release!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.