Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wonder Woman gets a new look

45 replies to this topic

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
Posted Image

Wonder Woman has a bold new look, one of the most dramatic changes of her 70-year history.

Criticized for years for fighting crime in effectively a one-piece swimsuit — often considered either sexist or simply impractical — the DC Comics icon has a new costume as of this week's Wonder Woman #600, and it's one considerably less revealing, complete with long pants and a jacket. Signature elements such as the character's bracelets, tiara and magic lasso remain. The costume was designed by acclaimed penciler and DC Comics co-publisher Jim Lee.
DC Comics announced the change Tuesday evening.

"It’s a look designed to be taken seriously as a warrior, in partial answer to the many female fans over the years who’ve asked, 'how does she fight in that thing without all her parts falling out?'" said incoming series writer J. Michael Straczynski.

"It reflects her origins in both the outside world and the world of Amazons: tough, elegant...a street-fighter’s look which also incorporates elements of her classic design," Straczynski said. "It reflects the two sides warring for ultimate victory, and underscores the path she must take."

It's also a versatile outfit, according to Straczynski.

"She can close it up to pass unnoticed ... open it for the freedom to fight ... lose the jacket or keep it on ... it has pockets (the other fan question, “where does she carry anything in that outfit?”), it can be accessorized," Straczynski wrote in DC's official release. "it’s a Wonder Woman look designed for the 21st century."

Straczynski also commented on some of the classic elements that were retained.

"The bracelets are still there, but made more colorful, tied on the inside and over the hand, with a script W on each of them that form WW when she holds them side by side...and if you get hit by one of them, it leaves a W mark. This is a Wonder Woman who signs her work ... letting her enemies know that she’s getting closer."

Straczynski noted to DC Comics that the new outfit is Wonder Woman's "first significant change in her appearance since the character debuted in 1941," with the notable exception of a mod bodysuit briefly sported in the '60s.

With the new costume comes a new direction for the title: Thanks to some time-shifting by the Olympian gods who created Wonder Woman, the superheroine's history has been changed so she grew up in a modern, urban environment, with little memory or conection to her mythical origins.

"The Gods, for reasons of their own but which may have something to with their survival and perhaps the survival of Earth itself, have changed the timeline. In the new timeline, years ago the Gods removed their protection from Paradise Island, and left it vulnerable to attack," Straczynski shared in the press release. "And attacked it was. Led by a dark figure, a veritable army descended upon the Island, equipped with weapons that could kill even the Amazons. Outgunned, doomed, Hippolyta gave over her three-year-old daughter to a handful of guardians who spirited her away as Hippolyta led one last desperate battle against the forces that had come to destroy all she had created. In that final battle, she and most of the Amazons were killed, though some managed to escape."

This new direction will also bring Wonder Woman into opposition with new enemies.

"It’s now nearly twenty years later. Diana has been raised in an urban setting, but with a foot in both worlds. She has little or no memory of the other timeline. She knows only what she’s been told by those who raised her On the run, hunted, she must try to survive, help the other refugee Amazons escape the army that is still after them, discover who destroyed Paradise Island and why ... and if the timeline can be corrected or not," Straczynski wrote in DC's official materials. "She also does not yet have access to her full powers, but will be gaining them as she goes. Along the way, she will face a range of enemies — human and otherwise — who we have not seen before."

Essentially, both the new look and new direction amount to a rebirth, wrote Straczynski.

"This is Wonder Woman reborn, literally and metaphorically: fast, elegant, tough, smart ... the savior of her people, their guardian and protector ... avenging the fall of Paradise Island, searching to discover why Paradise Island was abandoned by the gods," Straczynski told to the publisher. "In the end, what she discovers will change her life and the world forever...and she will come face to face with a decision that will mean life or death for the entire human race."

#600 comes out in stores this Wednesday, June 30, written by Straczynski and drawn by Don Kramer and Michael Babinski.

http://www.newsarama...ume-100629.html

I dig it, as I've always disliked the swimsuit look she's had for so long. It reminds me of Rogue's costume from the 90's, but that's not really a bad thing since that was always my favorite costume for her.

Ixion

Ixion

DareDevil Defence Force

• Members
  • 6,548 posts
Don't really like it, the jacket especially.

Spoiler

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Sucks for Diana. It would be great for Wonder Girl however.

WW's armored look is the best compromise between swimsuit and function, IMO. And it suits her mythical/magical origins best.

Posted Image

I'd just lengthen the skirt a bit more and try to put more red/blue onto the armor design.

Darth Virul

Darth Virul

The Loin King

• 5,998 posts
Agreed with Torch. Doable with Wondergirl but not for Wonder Woman. And to answer what keeps her parts from falling out during battle ? It's a magic costume ! I'm surprised JMS didn't respond that. Or maybe he did.
This just seems to me to be more of the whole anti-costume hysteria that's been going through superhero comics for a while now and it's sad who the latest fashion victim this time is.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,486 posts
Yeah lame.

Wonder Woman is too iconic to change. This won't last.
This thing looks more like what they'd do for a movie.

Honestly, if you wanted to modernize her classic look you could switch the bikini bottoms to hotpants, make the boots a little higher with kneepads. Give her a little utility belt-- honeslty, like Lara Croft from the waist down, but keep the red corset from the waist up.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I think its interesting. The look's alright but its the story that intrigues me more. The idea of remants of Greek myth living on in hiding in the underbelly of an American city sounds pretty cool to me. And frankly with all the talk of it being too drastic a change for an icon, and even despite the words of those in charge, I dont' think its designed to last in the first place. At least not completely as is. I think by the end of the arc she's actually going to restore the proper timeline, with certain differences, and its those aspects of the changed timeline merged with the proper timeline which will become her new status quo. It seems to me like the initial changes are going to be more a means to an end.

Its certainly a risk, but at this point it can only help, it won't hurt. There's not much TOO hurt, the title's languished in near anonymity for years. And its the first Wonder Woman story in ages that's actually captured my attention span for more than a few minutes, so it'll be worth a look for me. If it fails though, they just change back completely, so I don't see how any harm can be done by taking a chance on a character who needs some sort of hype and something new going for her.

Furthermore, the 90's ended almost twenty ****ing years ago. Its STILL not okay for superheroes to don a jacket every now and again? I think the overuse of that era has paid its penance.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts
Ahh...more revisionist crap from "talents" who are so uncomfortable with the subjects which pay their bills--SUPER-freakin-HEROES--that a classic look has to be tossed out in favor of something that could blend in on the street.

Gee, what a novel concept.

Thankfully, this nonesense--like any appreciation for Straczynski's work--will not last.
  • Iceman and Exodus +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
Too generic.

The armored take on her classic costume is far superior.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Monster of Mass Destruction

• Supporters
  • 8,709 posts
Yeah I give this look 6 months to a year.

This isn't the first time they changed Wonder Woman's costume, and they always go back to the classic look.

Chances are after this look fizzles, they will put her in a shoe string thong.

Posted Image

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
That's part of the reason I think its funny how people are freaking out over this. Her classic costume has been tweaked many times, and flat out changed completely twice prior to this. Its not like they're never going to see the original ever again. Her ass will be flossing stars again in due time.

Brett

Brett

• 1,976 posts
Yeah! let's give her a less revealing costume. Fantastic idea.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Ugh. Utter crap. That '90s jacket is what makes it so very bad. I hate the whole revisionist story idea, too. I'm usually a fan of JMS, but...that's just really bad. There was nothing wrong with her origin to begin with.

Look, I'm not freaking out. I know this is only temporary and she'll be back to her original costume, most likely pretty soon, but this is just godawful. As I said, the jacket totally diminishes her iconic look. She's not a biker chick. She's royalty. If they were going to make some kind of temporary change, for sales or whatever, they could've at least done something cool with her costume, instead of this. The only problem I've ever had with her original look was the star-spangled panties. That's the only thing that has ever needed changing. The rest is classic. I've always been partial to this look:

Posted Image

Just give her gold leggings and you'd have the perfect Wonder Woman costume. It ain't rocket science.

Edited by Mercury, 01 July 2010 - 02:13 AM.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts

The costume was designed by acclaimed penciler and DC Comics co-publisher Jim Lee.

Somehow I missed this the first read. Its crappiness kinda makes sense now.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Read the story, well the prologue I guess you could say. First Wonder Woman story I've read in years, and I'm still intrigued. The costume looks fine in action, its not the coolest costume in the world but not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be, and the visuals of the settings so far look really good, I was particularly impressed with Don Kramer's work there. And the new timeline is clearly becoming a plot device already, not the end all be all new status quo.

. She's not a biker chick. She's royalty.

Well, in a way she's not really, that's the point. Whoever ****ed up the timeline made it so she's not the classic Paradise Island princess she's always been. She's much more like Clark here; raised in America, growing up only with the knowledge of who she was and only remants of her people's former glory. She's been protected and coddled, but still raised in New York nonetheless, and I think that's what the look reflects. And I still think people freak out way too much over the appearance of a jacket. People need to get over the 90's, its been over for quite some time. I get it, the "I'm a super hero but a badass because I wear lots of leather" trope was used to death back then, but that was back then. Iits just a small jacket for god's sake.

Anyway, so far I'm on board. Hoping it goes somewhere cool, while at the same time hoping the focus remains on telling a Wonder Woman story, not telling Marvel "This is how to do a One More Day story right LOLZ." Really hoping JMS includes Donna in this story, and as a byproduct when all is said and done fix her headache inducing origins.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Changing her origin to make her more "urban" and "contemporary" VS her original origin of being an Amazon warrior princess raised on the exotic Greek island of Themyscira sounds infinitely less appealing to me. I'll pass, until DC decides to correct this and go back to the REAL Wonder Woman.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts

Changing her origin to make her more "urban" and "contemporary" VS her original origin of being an Amazon warrior princess raised on the exotic Greek island of Themyscira sounds infinitely less appealing to me. I'll pass, until DC decides to correct this and go back to the REAL Wonder Woman.

^ What Mercury said.

Brett

Brett

• 1,976 posts

Posted Image

I really dig the J-Lo, fly squad look on the right.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts

Its a storyline. The hints are abound already, in just a ten page prologue, that this reality isn't "right". This isn't designed to be a Brand New Day scenario, at least not yet. Diana's main quest throughout this storyline is to discovery who did this, why, and to correct the time line so she is the warrior princess who grew up on Themyscira in a world in which her mother wasn't killed, her people weren't destroyed, her land still theirs.

Most certainly, whether she succeeds or not (I'm betting she will), it will still lead to some changes in her backstory designed to create a refined status quo, but I'm betting those changes will be within the real timeline again. And I'm doubting the permanent changes will be as drastic as to what we'll be seeing in Odyssey. That's why I like the idea.

Granted to still not like it is certainly respectable. I just get the feeling a lot of the complaints come from a lack of understanding of what this storyline is going to be about. That's not to use the old apologist route of anyone who doesn't like it automatically doesn't "get it", and maybe I'm the one who's wrong in where this whole thing is going to go, but from what I've read, and from the hints I've seen, I'm pretty confident that this story is just a stepping stone to what the long haul changes are going to be, not the new status quo. Pound for pound, I'd liken this storyline to Electric Superman, with the caveat that unlike that story, this one will in its own way incorporate some genuine changes for Wonder Woman going forward.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
What I find humorous about the people having a stroke over this is that we are talking about COMICS here. And DC Comics especially. NOTHING that happens in comics EVER sticks, and DC is the worst offender when it comes to chickening out and reseting the status quo eventually.

God. You'd think these people had never read comics before...
  • Darth Krawlie and Pong Messiah +1 this

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Lol, not to drive you anymore nuts Obsidian (okay, I'm doing just that), but did you see that Fox News article where they subtley implied that the removal of the flag g-string is an anti-American sentiment? :lol:

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Lol, not to drive you anymore nuts Obsidian (okay, I'm doing just that), but did you see that Fox News article where they subtley implied that the removal of the flag g-string is an anti-American sentiment? :lol:

No, I didn't see that, but hey it's Fox. What do you expect?

I actually find Fox's screeching chicken-little attitude rather amusing.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Yeah, I get that it's temporary. It's just a really stupid storyline. Like I said, I'm not freaking out over it. Just a little bewildered. As Obsidian pointed out, though, I guess I shouldn't be.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Fair enough. I think its the most interesting thing anyone's bothered to do with her in years. I actually think I'm more interested in this right now than JMS's Superman run. I'm in fact a little jealous something like this wasn't taken on for him; makes the Grounded storyline look a bit blase in comparsion.

Mercury

Mercury

Pariah

• Members
  • 6,504 posts
Lol! I'm looking forward to JMS' Superman. I actually think it's a really intriguing idea. Reminds me of the hard-traveling Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories of the 70s.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Oh I'm looking forward to it, I'm still a Superman fanboy at heart, but when I heard he was taking on both Superman and Wonder Woman, I never imagined I'd end up being more interested in his WW story, but here we are. As of right now, when it comes to flat out intrigue Odyssey wins easily. Hopefully Grounded takes some twists and turns though. I'm down though, anything to take the sting out with how they so completely and utterly dropped the ball with New Krypton that there's literally not even any short term consequences to the story. I was disgusted with how everything was reverted back to normal by the last issue of the war. Like Obsidian said, DC's known for it, but they didn't roll with a single consequence of that story for a minute. Gotta be a new record.

Reply to this topic