Community

Bethany

Well, another kiss we didn't see coming. Until Abed put on the vest, anyway. The show's gotten a lot less Joel McHale-centric, which I appreciate, but really, it's getting to be a running joke.

Also, community college degrees are usually only 2 year deals, why is Jeff still there?

Maybe he's only taking two classes per semester?

Joel McHale is worth watching, but this ensemble rocks hard enough that I'm happier when it's not all about him. If this was just McHale, it would've worn thin after a while. It's a tribute to his ego that it's not, which helps provide some nice surprises sometimes...such as this season's finale, where he wasn't one of the last paintballers standing. Didn't see that coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Either it's because they don't llike how smug Joel McHale looks sometimes, or it's because of lingering memories of The Chevy Chase Show.

Something's gotta be interfering with its reception. It doesn't help that NBC's Thursday night is usually up against top-20 heavy hitters like Grey's Anatomy, CSI: Original Recipe, Big Bang Theory, and American Idol. With that kind of competition, I'm surprised NBC doesn't cancel its entire Thursday night lineup every year.

• 5 months later...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGH.

--> Community to be temporarily benched at midseason.

The returning 30 Rock is taking its place. I've never warmed up to its brand of east-coast smarminess. Also, it's not Community. Not happy at all right now.

Minor consolation: Whitney is being relocated to Wednesdays and replaced by Up All Night. I don't watch it either, but its promos were never as eye-rolling.

I also just noticed no one's upped this thread since season 3 began. Allow me to confirm it still totally rules, and I applaud both the addition of Dean Pelton to the official main-title cast, and their use of John Goodman as his A/C-annex nemesis. And I like to think we'll see an Inspector Spacetime feature film in our lifetime. I can dream.

In the past 2 weeks I downloaded the first 2 seasons and have watched both twice. This isn't just one of the best shows on TV, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen with it's inside jokes about 'bottle episodes' and clip shows it's ridiculously clever.

There's a save community petition online, if you follow the stars of the show on twitter they have been posting it and also trying to get #sixseasonsandamovie to trend. Well except McHale who's trying to get #12seasonsandathemepark to trend. :lol:

Damn, I didn't know this thread got bumped!

I tweeted #sixseasonsandamovie several times tonight and this week.

It's absolutely amazing that they would even consider cancelling this show. If they cancel Community everyone will laugh at NBC the same way we laugh at Fox for nixing Arrested Development.

I'm late to the show as well, and regret not being part of it from the beginning. It neatly fills a Spaced-shaped hole in my heart.

Ugh, why can't NBC put THIS on after The Office & put 30 Rock at 8pm?

Do they still call it "Must see TV Thursdays"? Because that lineup would harken back to its late-90's/early-Aughts power block.

Yeah it seems like if you are a smart comedy that differentiates from the norm you get axed. Why is that? I mean they have decent ratings.

In general: the key to surviving on network TV is you also need millions of "average" people on board to help keep a show afloat, not just us pop culture junkies. In this sense Community is probably as alienating to them as the even more insular and similarly non-blockbuster 30 Rock.

In specifics: the show's ratings are tanking. Hard. It's now up against all the other networks' juggernauts and faring poorly. The ongoing Thursday-8-p.m. time-slot winner is CBS' nerdsploitation minstrel show The Big Bang Theory, whose current ratings are four times the size of Community's, and should burn and die for its sins.

• 2 weeks later...

Heck, I'll settle for a copy of Annie's devastating satire of unlistenable perennials like "Santa Baby"

(American Idol parody with Santa Claus, the Ghost of Christmas Past, and Jesus Christ as judges.) She's just too cute even when she's playing naughty.

"He is equal parts Hanson and Manson." So LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone recommended this to me last month at work and after watching the first few episodes and enjoying them I quickly made my way through all episodes so far! Great show, I can't believe I've only discovered it now when it might not have long left, that sucks. Not a huge fan of all the characters but Troy, Chang and the Dean are awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.