The Dark Tower

Darth Spoon

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/stephen-kings-dark-tower-set-for-film-trilogy-tv-series-by-beautiful-mind-trio/

EXCLUSIVE: In a whopping deal coming together quickly, Stephen King, Imagine Entertainment and Weed Road are in discussions to make a screen trilogy and TV series out of King's epic novel series The Dark Tower. Akiva Goldsman will write the script, Ron Howard will direct it, and his Imagine Entertainment partner Brian Grazer will produce with Goldsman and King.

Universal is in talks to acquire a package that included the books, and the attachment of the team behind the Oscar-winning film A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code. Both Universal –where Imagine is based—and Warner Bros—where Goldsman’s Weed Road banner is housed—have been vying for the project.

The Dark Tower is King’s answer to JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, and the author will get his own screen trilogy. Like Tolkien, King's epic novel series is set in an otherworldly but familiar world, and involves a quest to save the world. The series spanned seven novels that involved Roland Deschain, the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers who exists in a world that has an Old West feel, but which is infused with magic. He is on a quest to find the Dark Tower, a structure that holds the key to the nexus of all universes. He encounters many allies and enemies along the way, as the world crumbles around him.

The book series was once developed by JJ Abrams and his Lost cohorts Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, but they never cracked it. Goldsman, who has become a prolific producer, was the catalyst for securing the rights from King, and he brought it to Howard and Grazer. It was not immediately evident how large the transaction was, but King has often optioned his works for little or no money upfront, and reportedly he bestowed the rights on Abrams for $19, a number which has significance in the novel series. King is working on an eighth novel, one that doesn't change the ending, but deals with characters and a storyline that falls midway in the series. CAA is working on the deal.

Akiva Goldsman??

:(

• 7 years later...

So they go to Earth in this one...doesn't that not happen until the second book? Wonder if we'll see Eddie in it at all.

Yeah, but then if I'm remembering right, Roland never went to Earth with Jake until the 6th book. And no Eddie or Susannah at all in this one by the looks of things, but they are grabbing a lot from the later books. I

While I think they've made a mess of it - the trailer coming out this close to release without any real marketing prior is a bit concerning as well - but I think the casting is on point. Idris is a great Roland (Unforgiven era Clint Eastwood would of been perfect but since that can't happen...) If they cast Aaron Paul as Eddie then that would be perfect.

Ah-- gotcha. They all blend together for me. Given their scope, it's easy to see why they are altering things. I don't hate changing from source material by default as long as it works.

But yeah, my least favorite bits of the saga are the bits where they come to Earth.

Honestly, that was sort of a shark jumping moment for me. I HATED that. I actually never read the final book because I was so put off. For me-- it's all about The Gunslinger, Wolves of the Calla, and Wizard and Glass. The true Midgard world stuff is what I loved most.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.