Marvel's The Avengers

Wally Q

SHOCKING NEWS!!! Or, given the thread's title, just "news".

Joss Whedon Confirms He’s Directing The Avengers

I think I read he might be writing the script himself, throwing out Zak Penn's draft. I'm totally fine with that. I can't really stand most of Penn's work and I'm pretty high on Whedon's work since starting Buffy on DVD.

Which makes me wonder, now that Norton is out in favor of a lesser name, will Banner's part be reduced from what it may have been? Anywho, speaking of said "lesser name"...

Fan site www.comicbooked.com is claiming "Mark Ruffalo Is The New Hulk. Its Official folks! They just announced it! More Details coming up!" Oddly, though, no one else - including Marvel - is announcing this yet, so... :shrug:

http://www.comicbooked.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/hulk.jpg

OK, back to the topic of former Whedon colleagues who have "geek cred"...

http://www.comicbooked.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/AntMan-Bak.png

This has me a bit confused. At the same time that this is being reported...

SDCC: NATHAN FILLION IS NOT ANT-MAN IN THE AVENGERS

by SuperHeroHype

Jul 24th, 2010

There seems to be some confusion that Joss Whedon announced Nathan Fillion will be Ant-Man in The Avengers at a Comic-Con panel today. While we couldn't attend, Marvel has confirmed to us that he was joking.

"Nathan Fillion is Ant-Man," he said, adding, "unfortunately Ant-Man isn't really in the movie."

I just found this...

Whedon Confirms Nathan Fillion is Ant-Man in The Avengers

And within the same article at comicbooked.com they present both stories:

We been hearing speculations about this for months now, well it is official fellas:

At the Joss Whedon panel in Ballroom 20 at San Diego Comic Con 2010, fan-favorite actor Nathan Fillion crashed the party in disguise. As a fan in a trench coat, fake mustache, and shades Fillion asks Whedon who his favorite actor was.

After Whedon’s answer “Nathan Fillion” of course, he reveals himself. And soon Joss Whedon tells Fillion that he wants him for the ‘Ant-Man’ role in the forthcomingAvengers film. Basically confirming the actor & Ant-Man on the roster.

Also, when Fillion’s name was tossed in with the role several months ago, Desperate Housewives actress Eva Longoria was included to portray Ant-Man’s wife “Wasp”. If true, Eva’s involvement should be announced in Marvel’s big SDCC presentation in two days.

It’s also confirmed that after The Avengers, Ant-Man will get his own solo film, directed by Edgar Wright. And while the film has a second draft in the works, Nathan Fillion is presumably confirmed to appear lead in the film as well.

Why would they do all that at the Con if it wasn't true? And if they're planning on making an Ant-Man movie after The Avengers film, it would make sense to at least have him make an appearance, since he's hardly a widely known character (or one that would be otherwise likely to get a fair shot from casual moviegoers). I'm on the fence as to how I feel, personally. I've never been a huge Ant-Man fan, sometimes enjoying him a bit, others finding him annoying, and finding myself rather indifferent to him most of all. It would depend, also, if it were Hank Pym or not and how he was portrayed (since at various times throughout the decades he was anywhere from one of the coolest Avengers to a total prick). Earlier rumours floating around had Fillion as Pym, but not Ant-Man. Who knows at this point?

However I feel about Ant-Man, though, I'm happy about Nathan Fillion (if it's true, of course). My wife and I have actually been watching Firefly for the first time recently and I've enjoyed Fillion (who is one of the few actors on the show I didn't already know from something else). He may not be a big name actor, but I think he'll hold his own just fine...y'know, if he's in the movie. :hmm:

(EDIT: Note that that first link also lists Ruffalo as being in "final talks" with Marvel.)

I'm not that familiar with Renner, although I did like him a lot in The Hurt Locker. I'm very happy about Hawkeye, though, as I used to be a big fan of his (especially back around the West Coast Avengers period). Hopefully, they do well by him in this live action film, since the few animated versions I've seen of him were less than satisfactory.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

http://www.comicbooked.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/AVENGERS.jpg

Robert Downey Jr., Clark Gregg, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Director Joss Whedon, Producer and Marvel Studios’ President Kevin Feige

Love it. LOL

My wife and I were talking and we both had the thought that at this rate Marvel should recast Banner for every outing of the Hulk. Not like everyone in the cast, just every new project has to have a new Banner. Then the characters should do like little non-looks and nanosecond expressions of non-recognition every time Banner is met. Sorta like the two daughters scenario on Rosanne.

That does sort of bring up something I've been wondering about. Even if there really is no Ant-Man and Wasp in this film, we still have the Widow, Fury, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, and now Hawkeye all sharing screen time. So many characters isn't a problem in an ongoing comic, because you can split things up a bit. However, in a two hour movie, some characters can end up as little more highly paid extras, as we saw in the X-Men films. Obviously, this movie has the advantage of a few individual lead-in movies, so character development won't take as long. Still, the X sequels suffered from the same issue, so it's not an automatic fix. I'm still hopeful, but I think the potential is there for some problems.

And yes, Black Widow needs her own movie! :drool:

^Ditto

Also Joss is seasoned at working with lots of characters and actors all wanting face time. Plus I have always felt that these superhero team films could learn a lot from the way the Star Trek films handled their casts... Each character had a moment in the films. Oh sure the stars were Kirk, Spock and McCoy but the rest of the crew got their moments.

It's no easy-- but it is certainly possible. The thing is, where you start getting preferential treatment with ensemble stories is when you delve into the emotional backstories of characters. There's just not time to do that for more than a couple people in a film. But what is smart about Marvel establishing a film universe, is that now their own movies establish those stories. The Avengers movie doesn't need to tell us about Tony's struggle with ego and responsibility, or Cap's adjustment to the modenr world, or how Thor was banished to Earth, or how Banner became the Hulk. Those things were told to us in their own films. We know their back stories-- all they need is a great unifying problem to bond over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.