Marvel's The Avengers

Wally Q

Wow, Don't have time to write much but its pretty amazing. The last half hour just takes it to another level, absolutely crazy packed with so many awesome moments its difficult to actually pick anything out. Marvel's best effort by far.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but My brother and I were discussing the fact that the Fantastic 4 are reserved members of the Avengers. Now Chris Evans played the Human Torch in the FF movies, but he is also portraying Captain America. Should they EVER want to make an Avengers movie to include the FF, either another actor will have to play Torch (That will suck), Torch will be left out ( which would suck too ), Chris Evans could do both, but the Captain America character would just have to keep his mask/helmet on.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but My brother and I were discussing the fact that the Fantastic 4 are reserved members of the Avengers. Now Chris Evans played the Human Torch in the FF movies, but he is also portraying Captain America. Should they EVER want to make an Avengers movie to include the FF, either another actor will have to play Torch (That will suck), Torch will be left out ( which would suck too ), Chris Evans could do both, but the Captain America character would just have to keep his mask/helmet on.

The Fantastic Four aren't part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film rights to the Fantastic Four are owned by Fox, not by Marvel. There won't be a crossover with those two entities until Fox gives up the rights, which they're unlikely to do... and if they did, Marvel would reboot Fantastic Four and Chris Evans playing two roles will be irrelevant.

Hell, Fox is planning on rebooting anyway, so this is so totally irrelevant that I've typed far more than is necessary already.

I don't know what you mean by irrevelent....FF are still Marvel owned, nor does it change the fact they ARE reserved members of the Avengers. But as you said if there is a reboot in the works, it may no longer matter. Seems to be all the rage in the film industry these days.

Saw it and it was epic. About 10 dull minutes in total. Spoliers and a lot of IMO incoming:

3D is subtle for the most part - the best it gets is when we are directly following behind Ironman as he flies around New York.

IMO Ruffalo is the best banner/hulk yet and his interaction with RDJ is great.

Captain America is the patsy of the group but really comes into his own later in the piece.

Johansson (who has never been hotter) and Hawkeye are pretty much tacked on but at least they are somewhat Whedonised and self-aware that they are in a riduclous situation.

There's no explanation of how Thor managed to get back to Earth, other than a throw-away line that doesn't help

Great movie - but the girls we went with didn't seem to like it as much as us boys, which probably means i have to see a chick flick sometime soon as recompense.

No NOT REALLY..Fox may OWN the FILM rights...but I am not talking about film rights I am talking MARVEL. they are 2 different things IMO. If you disagree fine....we can agree to disagree.

Maybe you're confused.

If you're talking about the rights to use the characters in any medium other than film, yes, Marvel Entertainment has the rights to both and the characters cross over frequently. Currently, Spider-Man has his solo adventures and is also a member of both the Fantastic Four AND the Avengers. In comics, cartoons, toys, video games,, etc-- Marvel can do all they want.

But when it comes to Film and TV rights they cannot. When Marvel was in bankruptcy they sold the screen rights of several characters to different studios.

Fox got the X-Men, Fantastic Four and anything "mutant" related.

Sony got Spider-Man

Universal got the Hulk.

Marvel's film division was able to negotiate with Universal to share the rights for the Hulk, but Sony and Fox aren't sharing. Marvel Studios CAN NOT use the X-Men, Fastastic Four or X-Men in their self-produced films.

The only way around is is to get those rights back by either buying them back, which with Disney's money is possible, but Fox and Sony won't sell considering that all those properties still make them money.

The other caveat is that the rights will revert if Sony and Fox don't continue to use the license. This is why both Fox and Sony are rebooting and spinning-off so quickly. If they go 2-3 years without making a film the rights will revert to Marvel.

I think it would be awesome to have Spidery and Wolverine in the Avengers as they are now in the comics, but it isn't likely to happen onscreen any time soon.

These aren't really matters of your opinion versus somebody else's, these are binding legal agreements between million dollar corporations.

Daredevil and Ghost Rider are two other properties Marvel doesn't control the film rights to. I'm PRETTY sure that covers all of them--the rest are Marvel's (Punisher has reverted back to Marvel).

I agree though, Spider-Man in this Avengers film would be great, and seeing Robert Downey Jr and Hugh Jackman trade insults as Iron Man and Wolverine would be awesome. It's too bad it won't happen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.