Marvel's The Avengers

Wally Q

Guest El Chalupacabra

yeah, his split personality kind of gets in the way of things: the ultimate alter ego for sure. I was just saying he is like the marvel version of Supes.

There are some decent possibilities for future Avengers characters on both the hero and villain sides, though it might be best to introduce some of them in a seperate single-hero movie.

- Baron Zemo

- Wonder Man

- Hank Pym

- Ultron

- Vision

Vision would make a good member to the team on-screen, and his creator Ultron would make a formidable villain that everyone on the team can physically tangle with. Pym builds Ultron, and the on-screen reasons for doing so could be changed to fit the story however necessary. Zemo and Wonder Man can be introduced in an Iron Man film - Wonder Man (aka Simon Williams) runs a company that competes with Stark, it fails, he loses everything, and Baron Zemo shows up to give him the power necessary to stop Stark/Iron Man by making him into Wonder Man. I know it's not OMG MANDARIN but the Wonder Man/Zemo story could work. They could keep Wonder Man and make him a future Avenger, or just use his existence as part of Visions backstory when Ultron uses Wonder Mans brainwaves in part to create Vision, much like Hank Pym uses his own brainwaves in the creation of Ultron.

Some may say Ultron is too Skynet/Terminator'esque, but how does Hulk or Iron Man versus a terminator sound? ;)

Plus the usage of Zemo means using both the son (modern-day) and the father (in potential flashbacks of Captain America vs the Nazi's). A couple of neat possibilities.

Speaking of that lady, this feels like setting up something in the future. That character was highlighted in several crowd shots to the point I noticed her before anything happened to her. Then he saves her. Then they make a point of her saying something to the camera to this effect.

Future Captain America Love Interest, is that you?

Find another actress, 'cause she was homely.

Saw it over the weekend. Pretty solid effort. Started out slow but finished very well. Not a big fan of Black Widow and I didn't like what they did with Hawkeye early in the film (I've always hated the tired old bit where the bad guy can brainwash good guys to be his minions- it just never works for me). Iron Downey Jr carried the movie, but got a nice assist from the Hulk. I thought Hulk's CGI was much better in this, and I loved the comic relief they tossed in with him towards the end.

Minor gripe- I thought it was kinda awkward that Hulk suddenly developed the ability to play well with others when it came time to come together as a team. Given how awesome the last half hour of the movie was, however, I can easily overlook it.

Minor gripe- I thought it was kinda awkward that Hulk suddenly developed the ability to play well with others when it came time to come together as a team. Given how awesome the last half hour of the movie was, however, I can easily overlook it.

Don't be surprised if the Hulk gets pissed and bails in the sequel. There's the potential for Banner drama only hinted at in the Black Widow meeting and Avengers "argument" scene. I would not want to see another Hulk vs. hero scene, or falling under the control of a villain, but there should be another reason why he is not completely buddy-buddy with everyone--including Stark.

Some may say Ultron is too Skynet/Terminator'esque, but how does Hulk or Iron Man versus a terminator sound? ;)

like a very short, one-sided fight.

T: i am a robot from the future and may or may not have a plasma weapon under my flesh

VERSUS

Iron Man: hi. i'm Tony Stark, and i may or may not have several dozen compact missiles and an arc reactor-powered haduken aimed at you right now.

or..

Bruce Banner: HULK SMASH

really, a single terminator might be close to unstoppable against a normal human, but if that human is wearing a mechsuit or turns into an eight foot tall, super-strong, nigh-indestructible behemoth, it starts looking a lot less like an ultimate death machine and more like a paper weight in potentia. two or more could give Iron Man a run for his money IF they could stop him getting airborne, but i'm not sure if anything short of a T1000 could take on the Hulk once he transformed.

I was wondering how they'd handle it. Usually the Hulk "rules" are changed/broken to serve the story's purpose when needed. I thought it was somewhat clever how they handled it here; when Banner is pissed off Hulk is uncontrollable, but if he changes on his own he can retain some control. For me it's gotta be one or the other, but whatever, I can live with it.

I just hope that the next movie featuring the Hulk doesn't retread the same thing. He's uncontrollable until he learns how to control himself at the end!

The key scene was when Banner woke up in the abandoned building and the old guy told him he aimed for that place so obviously not to hurt anyone. That along with Stark's words earlier about being able to control it gave him the belief he could control the Hulk and to accept it. And Loki's staff seemed to be turning everyone against each other on the Hellicarrier.

HULK SMASH BOX OFFICE!

Clearly the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, as "Marvel's The Avengers" has been smashing box office records since it opened worldwide last week. The worldwide box office earnings have now reached $702.2 million as of the Monday, May 8 take.

The U.S. total has topped $225 million, while the international gross of the Joss Whedon superheroes hit has topped $475 million. "Avengers" has now surpassed the total earnings of its predecessor movies "Iron Man" ($318 M), "Iron Man 2" ($312 M), "Thor" ($181 M), "Captain America: The First Avenger" ($176 M) and "The Incredible Hulk" ($135 M). Only $420 million more to go to surpass the other movies' total.

The "Avengers" total so far has it at No. 47 on the list of highest grossing movies of all time (not adjusted for inflation). If you take ticket price inflation into account, "Avengers" still has a ways to go - just the No. 10 spot on that list grossed nearly $1.75 billion and belongs to "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" (no kidding, we were surprised too).

...a single terminator might be close to unstoppable against a normal human, but if that human is wearing a mechsuit or turns into an eight foot tall, super-strong, nigh-indestructible behemoth, it starts looking a lot less like an ultimate death machine and more like a paper weight in potentia.

Ultron is much more of a badass than a terminator though.

So far, Jarvis has only been an AI. Maybe in tthe movie continuity, since he's voiced by Paul Bettany of Priest and Legion, he could end up being fleshed out into the role of Vision somehow. That would be easy to cast.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.