Marvel's The Avengers

Wally Q

Everything is all here. I've reread it numerous times and cannot fathom why a Thought Nazi tag could be applied to me.

Essentially and reiterated with love:

Me "I like ice cream. Can't wait to get some."

Danger "I like frozen yogurt. Why is it frozen yogurt is better?"

Me "I like both. Maybe you just haven't had good ice cream. I know sometimes snobby chefs on Food Network insist only Gelato should exist, but with their culinary talent it's a shame they won't try making ice cream."

Danger "No I just hate ice cream."

Me "Do you like cherries?"

Danger "Yes. Frank Miller's cherries."

Me "Maybe you'd like cherry ice cream."

Merc "People that don't like both aren't worth my time."

Krawlie "I missed the point."

Danger "No, Torch. What's wrong with you? Just all telling people what to think?! Ass."

Me "Whoa. I just thought given you liked cherries maybe there'd be a possibility cherry ice cream could do it for you."

Me "You know what? I get what just went down. Classic bait. **** you."

Krawlie "Distraction! Haha!"

Danger "I hate ice cream. Screw you for proposing there could ever be a possibility I could like it. Fine. Ben & Jerry's for president! Happy now?"

Everyone Else "WTF?!"

Me "Uhh. Let me explain..."

Everyone Else "WTF?!"

:thumbsup:

To add to this...I came into this thread to watch the teaser, but while it was loading I got caught up reading your little pissing match and now the GAT DANG VIDEO HAS BEEN REMOVED!! :angry:

I blame you both. Good day to you, sirs.

I didn't miss the point, I was trolling you because you're the easiest person on Nightly to rile up.

i got the point. i simply didn't agree with him. really not trying to insult or rile anyone up, here. i love you guys.

Guest bodega

I'm psyched. The Avengers is a team full of badasses. I think DC characters are mostly very boy-scouty. Superman is a chump, Wonder Woman is uptight, Flash has a loser super power and Aquaman TALKS TO FISH. I'm sorry, you can't slap a beard on that dude and retcon him into coolness. Just a team full of the lamest super heroes and Batman. Avengers on the other hand are a team full of badasses, except of course for Captain America who is the "DC" hero of the team in that he is an uptight boyscout who would suck without his other more badass colleagues.

Superman is a chump,

In what way?

Wonder Woman is uptight,

That would apply more to Batman.

Flash has a loser super power

The guy can move so fast you wouldn't even know he's there, can steal or give speed to a person or thing, pass through solid objects and travel through time. What exactly is "loser" about it?

Aquaman TALKS TO FISH.

I'm sorry, you can't slap a beard on that dude and retcon him into coolness.

It's amazing how damaging to Aquaman's rep the old Super Friends show was. He has super-strength, is durable enough to withstand ocean depths and weapons fire, can swim up to speeds around two miles a second and yes, can communicate with all marine life. I don't see how any of that translates to lame in any way.

Just a team full of the lamest super heroes and Batman. Avengers on the other hand are a team full of badasses, except of course for Captain America who is the "DC" hero of the team in that he is an uptight boyscout who would suck without his other more badass colleagues.

I'm not sure why "Boy Scout" is a bad label to have. That term would apply to most male heroes in comics, anyway. Besides, Cap's a soldier and if there's one thing he's not, it's naive. He may work for the government, but he's also turned against them more than once because he knew what they were doing was wrong.

One of the other notable differences between Marvel and DC is that a fair amount of Marvel heroes don't mind killing a villain if need be, Spidey and Professor X are like some of the few that shy away from that. Whereas DC's bigs are almost all universally against that. It's such a contrast I have to believe it was intentional. Not saying that is a bad or good thing in regards to Marvel vs DC, just an interesting difference.

The DC heroes generally only kill when absolutely necessary (Flash killing Zoom, Wonder Woman snapping Max Lord's neck, Superman Kryptoniting Zod and co. to death), but they have on occasion. I think Marvel heroes are mostly depicted the same way, with certain exceptions obviously.

Guest bodega

Haha this dude just defended Aquaman's badassness. See this is why a Justice League movie will never be made: The inherent goofiness of the DC characters is obvious to everyone but the people who really, really read the comics (0.001% of Earth's population?). Tommy already made a lot of these points. Flash is a one trick pony, Wonder Woman is a goofy mock up of 70's feminist badassness in a goofy all-American costume, Aquaman solves fish-related badness and stops people from polluting the ocean, and Superman is inherently lame in that he has EVERY power but can be taken down by ONE little chunk of something. He's also a corny, all-American boy scout (I use boy scout in the kiss ass never question authority sense, not like he can low impact camp and tie cool knots).

Never EVER got why people love or even like Superman, he's just a paper cut out of a superhero with no depth. He got hit by a car once. A dude picked up a car and threw it at him. Not one damn hero worth his weight in salt should be stupid enough, slow enough, or so depressingly dependent on his or her super powers to get hit by a car some villain chucked at him, but Superman is all of those things.

And that's why Justice League sucks.

This is just my stance, but I've always thought that DC characters are best translated to film in those direct to DVD animated movies that are released a few times a year. That's a venue where they can get away with some of the inherent goofiness that comes along with most of the DC stable, yet still deal with stories that are somewhat serious.

Those Superman / Batman movies are really cool, but there's no way that kind of stuff could be put on screen in live-action and be taken seriously.

DC characters are best translated to film in those direct to DVD animated movies that are released a few times a year. That's a venue where they can get away with some of the inherent goofiness that comes along with most of the DC stable, yet still deal with stories that are somewhat serious.

Those Superman / Batman movies are really cool, but there's no way that kind of stuff could be put on screen in live-action and be taken seriously.

exactly!!

i so don't want to see a live action justice league.

Haha this dude just defended Aquaman's badassness.

That's because he can be. If you extend your knowledge beyond an old cartoon, it's easy to see.

See this is why a Justice League movie will never be made: The inherent goofiness of the DC characters is obvious to everyone but the people who really, really read the comics (0.001% of Earth's population?).

They're really no more goofy than Marvels batch.

Tommy already made a lot of these points. Flash is a one trick pony,

I already explained why he's not.

Wonder Woman is a goofy mock up of 70's feminist badassness in a goofy all-American costume,

She's gone beyond that.

Aquaman solves fish-related badness and stops people from polluting the ocean,

He lives there, why wouldn't he? Besides, Marvel has their own version who does the same.

Superman is inherently lame in that he has EVERY power but can be taken down by ONE little chunk of something. He's also a corny, all-American boy scout (I use boy scout in the kiss ass never question authority sense, not like he can low impact camp and tie cool knots).

Actually, Superman has gone against authority in the past, most recently in the story where he didn't consider himself a US citizen. If you're going to take issue with Superman having too many abilities, you'd have to throw in Marvel's Thor (who along with having strength and durability on par with Supes', also has a plethora of other powers due to his hammer) and even characters like Wolverine, who these days can heal from almost anything.

And again, I'm uncertain why a "boy scout" is a bad thing to be. Not every character has to be Batman, Wolverine, etc. Even Spidey is a "boy scout" in that sense.

Never EVER got why people love or even like Superman, he's just a paper cut out of a superhero with no depth. He got hit by a car once. A dude picked up a car and threw it at him. Not one damn hero worth his weight in salt should be stupid enough, slow enough, or so depressingly dependent on his or her super powers to get hit by a car some villain chucked at him, but Superman is all of those things.

Superman could have a building drop on him and he'd be okay. If I were like that, I wouldn't be too bothered by a car hitting me, either. That has nothing to do with being slow or stupid, it's knowing what one can do. Someone like Batman or Captain America would naturally dodge, as despite their skills, they'd still be killed by something like that. That's like saying Hulk or Thing are stupid when letting someone shoot them. If you have the durability, what's the point of dodging?

And that's why Justice League sucks.

Why, again? You didn't really explain anything.

Guest bodega

I admit I'm being too hard on JL for the sake of being a jaggoff. They are obvs very powerful and have carved out deeper back stories than the general public knows about. I just prefer the Avengers, and I'm trying to explain to you why on screen Justice League would appear goofier than the set of heroes chosen for Avengers. Hulk is big and stupid but he knows this, his job is to smash. He's also delightfully hard to control when he's doing it. Thor is a badass Norse God with heavy metal hair and one of the world's only famous hammers. Captain America can be ruthless when the person at the end of the barrel deserves it. Tony Stark, well, do I need to explain? It's a team with swagger. They are rockstars. The Justice League, Batman included, are sticks in the mud.

I'll put it like this - I'd rather party with the Avengers, and so would everyone else. That's why they get a movie and Justice League doesnt.

I kinda agree about the DC characters. Individually, they're kinda seared into the American conscience as campy, but I see no reason that they wouldn't work as an ensemble. Their powers are no more "one trick pony" than any of the X-men's are. I think if a film writer came in who would really focus on "humanizing" the DC characters in a way that people don't expect, it would work brilliantly. But then of course, people would be mad that they're not getting the live action version of the campy, cartoons they've grown up with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.