Bill & Ted's Radical Remake

Darth Dude

http://io9.com/375484/bill-and-teds-completely-unnecessary-remake

Another classic science fiction franchise is getting the "reboot" treatment, but its biggest star could be even harder to recast than William Shatner's Captain Kirk. A new Bill And Ted movie finally got the green light — probably from the same people at MGM who thought that War Games sequel was a good idea — and it could show up in the next couple of years. The biggest question: where are they going to find an actor who can bring the Keanu? Click through for details.

As in the original, Bill and Ted are high-school students who are in danger of flunking unless they create a "full presentation" on the subjects of all their classes. They travel through time and meet the historical figures they're supposed to have learned about, including Gandhi and Calamity Jane this time around.

The main differences are that the phone Bill and Ted use to travel through time isn't an old-school phone booth, but something "funkier." Their band is called the Atomic Gorillas instead of the Wyld Stallyns. The script is supposedly full of "hip" pop culture references for today's kids, like Bill and Ted worrying they're going to miss The Dark Knight. No clue whether there's a George Carlin character this time around, or who might play him. There are a lot fewer "Whoas."

I was a lot more excited about a new Bill And Ted when I briefly thought it would feature Keanu and Alex back in their original roles, playing middle-aged stoners who have made a mess of their lives in spite of all Carlin's predictions.

If we have to have a remake, maybe it can do something new and interesting with the concept — like instead of being the saviors of a future world, Bill and Ted are actually patsies, given a time machine by someone who wants to wreck history but doesn't want his/her fingerprints all over it. And then Bill and Ted have to undo all the damage they've done. That would be totally excellent.

Supposedly Keanu has been trying to get a third Adventure/Journey off the ground for years but now that he has turned 77 years old, the studio feels a remake may be the better option. Who's hyped?

They should follow Tron's route (which really follows Star Trek II's route) ... a SEQUEL with a story written to highlight the time that has passed, not a remake.

I would love to see a Bill & Ted sequel. I don't want to see a remake, I feel it is needless. Absolutely needless. The originals still work well enough. Besides if everything goes awesomely with the story and casting then the end result of a remake like this is that all you really did was use prettier SFX.

Now don't get me wrong, in no way am I saying that this franchise is perfect, legendary or classic in the sense it's untouchable. But really? A remake? Come on. I gotta believe this movie would sell better with Keanu and as a sequel... the geek factor, the lead in for that should be bankable.

The beauty of the B&T movies is that they are so definitively of their time. When they came out they showed how 'modern' teens would react if transported to the dark ages, but now they can also be enjoyed nostalgically as snapshots of the 80s. This is why I'd be happy for a sequel (maybe with Little Bill and Ted as the mains, perhaps trying to find a way out of their famous dads' shadows, with many hijinks then ensuing) but to see Bill and Ted 're-imagined' as Ipod-addicts would suck hard.

It's going to be Bill & Ted got to Whitecaste or Bill & Ted's apatow adventure. Either way-- lame.

Funny, cause just last week keanu was saying a sequel was going to happen. Not sure if that'd be any good either. Just leave it all alone.

No kidding.

However my most wanted to see upcoming films:

Iron Man Too: War Machine

Tron: Legacy

Clash of the Titans

Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Batman and the Mystery of How to Top the Joker Again

Star Trek: The Next Sequel

The New Adventures of Superman, Part VI: Lonely Super-Powered Jesus

My Girl 3: Zombie Culkin

Spider-Man 4

X-Men: Retcon

Ghostbusters 3

Incredible Hulk: Now He's Red

OO7 James Bond 23

Medicine Man 2: I Found the Cure for AIDS and then I lost it!

Indiana Jones 5

Predators

Quigley Goes Down

Out & In: I guess I was Just Curious

Hellbaby

Afterthought: the My Girl 3 one sounds like something I'd really enjoy actually. LOL Someone should make that.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.