Top 20 NBA Players Ever

The Choc

I thought this may get the board talking a bit being that its so quiet here. My original intent was to do a top 25, however when I did a "cut down" I was left with exactly 20. So rather than go back through and choose 5 more guys who didnt make the cut I figured Id leave it at 20. Like usual when I make such lists I will just put the list out there, rather than have explanations and hope to do some explanation when having arguments/debates later.

1-Bill Russell

2-Michael Jordan

3-Wilt Chamberlain

4-Magic Johnson

5-Oscar Robertson

6-Larry Bird

7-Kareem Abdul Jabar

8-Shaquille O'Neal

9-Tim Duncan

10-Jerry West

11-Kobe Bryant

12-Moses Malone

13-Hakeem Olajuwon

14-John Havlicek

15-Julius Erving

16-George Mikan

17-Lebron James

18-Isiah Thomas

19-Elgin Baylor

20-Scottie Pippen

In no particular order. They're all great.

Isiah Thomas

Joe Dumars

Dave Bing

Bob Lanier

Vinnie Johnson

Bill Laimbeer

Rick Mahorn

Chauncey Billups

Ben Wallace

Kelly Tripucka

John Long

James "Buddha" Edwards

Rip Hamilton

Adrian Dantley

John Salley

Dennis "Rodzilla" Rodman

Dave DeBusschere

Rasheed Wallace

Tayshaun Prince

Ray Scott

All Time Coach: Chuck "Daddy Rich" Daly

ill reply more on this later but firstly lebron at 17? when his career is finished maybe but right now - no way as he hasnt done much compared to the others you have listed esp the ones below him

Probably true.

Agreed. Just sub in The Admiral for LeBaby and you've got a pretty good list going there.

ill reply more on this later but firstly lebron at 17? when his career is finished maybe but right now - no way as he hasnt done much compared to the others you have listed esp the ones below him

Probably true.

Agreed. Just sub in The Admiral for LeBaby and you've got a pretty good list going there.

There are several players Id have on the list before David Robinson.

Wilt Chamberlain (# 1 IMHO)

Oscar Robertson (best all-around)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (take a peek into the league and some dude has 26 points and 13 rebounds in a game, come back 20 years later and the same dude has 26 points and 13 rebounds, wtf?)

Michael Jordan

Magic Johnson

Larry Bird

Bill Russell

Jerry West

Hakeem Olajuwon

George Mikan

Moses Malone

Elvin Hayes

Karl Malone

Shaquille O'Neal

Kobe Bryant

Bob Cousy

Pete Maravich

Charles Barkley

LeBron James

Tim Duncan

Scottie Pippen

John Havlicek

Bob Petit

John Stockton

Walt Frazier to round out that top 25.

Edit: is an unordered list.

I wouldn't have Pippen anywhere near a top 2, either.

I hate Scottie Pippen, but he was a great player. Best swingman defender Ive ever seen, easily. Could pass, rebound. He could control a game while taking like 6 shots. The fact that he was so great at everything (defending, passing, rebounding) allowed Jordan to save his energy for scoring.

I hate Scottie Pippen, but he was a great player. Best swingman defender Ive ever seen, easily. Could pass, rebound. He could control a game while taking like 6 shots. The fact that he was so great at everything (defending, passing, rebounding) allowed Jordan to save his energy for scoring.

This is correct, sir.

Awesome all-around player. Offense was actually one of his weak areas (inconsistency), and he still had four years where he scored more than 20ppg. Jordan's shadow, the pouting, injuries later in his career, and the fact that he played well past his prime all contribute to make people discount how great he was, but... he was.

So yeah, he's no Jordan, Magic, Bird, Shaq, etc... but there's no way he's lower than 10-15 on the list.

This is correct, sir.

Awesome all-around player. Offense was actually one of his weak areas (inconsistency), and he still had four years where he scored more than 20ppg. Jordan's shadow, the pouting, injuries later in his career, and the fact that he played well past his prime all contribute to make people discount how great he was, but... he was.

So yeah, he's no Jordan, Magic, Bird, Shaq, etc... but there's no way he's lower than 10-15 on the list.

It wasnt really his offense really that was inconsistent as much as it was his jumpshot. If Pippen played today with no handchecking hed score alot more points. He actually had his prime during an era that was awful for him where physical play was so prevelant.

Just to illustrate a couple things about how great an overall player Pippen was. He has the all time record for assists by a forward and career steals by a forward.

That was not an 'invite' ...
Good. I hated your thread. Die, thread, die.

I know he was my fave player but Olajuwon was better than Duncan. A better rebounder, better defender, better scorer.
Olajuwon had a few years (1992-93 through his '95 title run) that were better -- by far -- than anything Duncan's ever done, but over the entire course of their careers, Duncan was probably better. Even if he was never an absolute terror on the defensive end like Olajuwon.

:eek:

I'm doing this from my phone so bear with me and I'll try to update UFO think of others. I purposefully did not look at any lists posted so that I don't borrow any ideas.

1. Jordan

2. Russell

3. Chamberlain

4. Abdul-Jabbar

5. West

6. Bird

7. Magic

8. Duncan

9. Shaq

10. Olajuwon

11. Moses Malone

12. Erving

13. Stockton

14. Karl Malone

15. Drexler

16. Barkley

17. Havlicek

18. Bryant

19. David Robinson

20. Thomas

definite lack of pre-80's in my list but I've only seen highlights.

Next 5 in:

Gervin

Garnett

McHale

Worthy

Mullin

I'm doing this from my phone so bear with me and I'll try to update UFO think of others. I purposefully did not look at any lists posted so that I don't borrow any ideas.

1. Jordan

2. Russell

3. Chamberlain

4. Abdul-Jabbar

5. West

6. Bird

7. Magic

8. Duncan

9. Shaq

10. Olajuwon

11. Moses Malone

12. Erving

13. Stockton

14. Karl Malone

15. Drexler

16. Barkley

17. Havlicek

18. Bryant

19. David Robinson

20. Thomas

definite lack of pre-80's in my list but I've only seen highlights.

Next 5 in:

Gervin

Garnett

McHale

Worthy

Mullin

You think Clyde Drexler was better than Kobe Bryant?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.