Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Contest Ideas

26 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
What about the next contest being a character description dealio? People have to describe the most interesting character they can in a hundred words or less and at the end we vote on the best and most interesting and most amusing character description. :drool: What do you think? Also, any other contest ideas?

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
With March coming up, I was looking at a sequel of the March Mini's thing we did last year.

This time around it would again be a number of short submissions - maybe with a common framework of a story already in place - written in different people's styles. It was complicated. Plus it leaves out anyone not already familiar with what has been written in the past.

So that's the rub. But the character description thing is interesting too.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,504 posts
I like SD's idea. A lot.

I think I'll use Claudia :P

HANFAN

HANFAN

Bottoms Up!

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
:lol: Can't wait to read that one.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I'm going to have to go back and look up the March mini thing. I don't remember that one AT ALL. I'm getting old. LMFAO

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,504 posts

:lol: Can't wait to read that one.

Domo actually used it for one of his articles for the Front Page. But he didn't credit me publicly and changed the names, since we were still in gameplay and my secret hadn't been revealed :lol: I was TERRIFIED they'd all catch on when they saw the article, but no one did :lol:

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Here's a linkto the March Mini's thing.

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts

What about the next contest being a character description dealio? People have to describe the most interesting character they can in a hundred words or less and at the end we vote on the best and most interesting and most amusing character description. :drool: What do you think? Also, any other contest ideas?

Funny how a character jumped to the forefront of my mind within minutes of reading this. I like this idea.

With March coming up, I was looking at a sequel of the March Mini's thing we did last year.

This time around it would again be a number of short submissions - maybe with a common framework of a story already in place - written in different people's styles. It was complicated. Plus it leaves out anyone not already familiar with what has been written in the past.

So that's the rub. But the character description thing is interesting too.

I liked doing the March Minis. It was fun and I it helped with Script Frenzy last April.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Let's do the character thing now to finish off this month and then do the March Madness thing next! :drool:

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
The clock is running out on February. Is someone up for taking the lead on setting stuff up, or should I go for three in a row?

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,504 posts
Hat trick, dude, hat trick!

I'd be willing to do it if you don't have time, tho. I can still enter if I'm the poll master, right?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I'll do it man. That'll leave you up and running for the March Mini donut thingy. I'm sure you could do with a bit of a break. :drool:

Just saw your reply, Icy. Not trying to step on your toes. Let's do rock paper scissors for it. My choice is in the spoiler box. No cheating!

Spoiler

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,504 posts
No cheating necessary - I always choose scissors first ;)

edit: you win. Start the contest, man!

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
I never got the paper part. Scissors and rock I understand because the scissors cut the paper and the rock crushes the scissors. Something is destroyed in both cases. But paper covering the rock? Who cares? Rock can just wait it out. The first wind that blows through there the paper is gone and the rock is sunning himself again. Nothing's changed. Paper is stupid.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
"...it comes from an ancient Chinese tradition where when a request was sent to the ruler on a piece of "paper" or the equivalent at the time, the rock was placed over the paper if the request was accepted, the paper was draped over the rock, indicating defeat of the request, if the request was rejected. Hence, paper over rock = defeat ..."

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,504 posts
ahhhh.... that makes alot more sense.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That does make sense! Still, I love the idea that paper can go straight to hell! LMFAO

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
So when is this mini donut thing happening? :drool:

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 7,265 posts
I'm happy to organize if we change it to April minis. (In reference to the month, not the lovely Copper.)

I'm swamped at work during March, but April is blissfully open in comparison.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

(In reference to the month, not the lovely Copper.)

That could work too though! Bring out Copper's thousand different avatars she's used over the past years and you have to use one of them as the inspiration for your mini story. :drool: Bonus points if you mix in one of her thousand different member statements.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
hahaha.

I'm totally down. Not that I can remember all the avatars OR member titles I've used over the years. I'd do better remembering signatures.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
There's gotta be come kind of google cache database out there somewhere archiving **** like that. Cuz if we'd have to go by memory, the only ones I remember are that bad ass horse avatar, the one with the woman on her back and the big sky above her and ... um ... that's about it. LMFAO

Svenn

Svenn

• Members
  • 720 posts
What happened to April Minis? Also, maybe they should be called April Anecdotes, just because alliteration is fun.

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
I think we should have a contest to see who can write the funniest fake description of a real book. That thread is hilarious.

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 7,265 posts
That's a good idea, Sonny.

Sorry about the April minis Svenn. I just thought about this thread the other day when I glanced at my desk calendar. April's practically gone now. :eek: Where does the time go?

Reply to this topic