Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Guess! That! Author!

48 replies to this topic

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,412 posts
Ditto Cashmere. It's really sad, because this policy was implemented maybe a decade ago, and there were alot of old-growth trees that were just mutilated. Ironically, it was especially bad at the local nature preserve. But we haven't had a severe outage since - seeing as how we're on a well and septic, both run on electricity, and the last really bad outage was after an ice storm and temps were well below freezing the couple of days we went without... well, funny-looking trees are an okay trade-off for no heat, lights, food prep or preservation, water, and flush toilets for days at a time.

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
I'm just glad we have consistent internet back b/c missing so much work has been depressing and the net is the only thing that makes me laugh these days. This place is good for a dozen chuckles a day at least.

I'll finish my voting by tomorrow morning. :D

Svenn

Svenn

• Members
  • 715 posts
I see companies cutting trees back around here sometimes, but it's pretty rare, and it's usually for the big main lines.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Yeah, tell them man, this is the first snow in at least three years. And now we've already had it twice and we're working on our third time. Grrrrr.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Still snowing outside. I shoveled twice yesterday to keep up with it, along with skimming some of the stuff off the roof. Because if the house collapses atop itself, then the secret of who wrote what dies with me. Speaking of that, I'll probably be pulling the plug sometime around 5 pm EST this evening. In looking at the votes I have noticed:

- Sonny has yet to place a vote for sample #1
- ShadowDog has yet to place a vote for sample # 2
- Copper has yet to place votes for samples #1, 4, and 7

...And a couple of other people have yet to place a vote at all. I just went ahead and listed these few out because it's really easy to overlook one of the samples as they shift around. So that's the update.

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
Thanks for the heads up. I could have sworn I voted for them all.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Okay. I've looked over this one more time:

- All of Copper's votes are in.
- ShadowDog is missing a vote on both samples #2 and 4.
- Sonny is missing a vote for sample #4.

I think. Maybe. I get so confused as to what thread I've clicked on and what thread I haven't. But even with the outstanding votes, we're pretty close. It's more than enough to work with.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

- ShadowDog is missing a vote on both samples #2 and 4.

Done and done!

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
We're missing what? One vote? It really won't change anything ... so I think I'm going to go ahead and call it.

Sample ONE - Copper
"Science stole my faith from me." The herd shifted around us like restless prey around a watering hole. "Well logic did, anyways." Monday was drunk ...

Sample TWO - Sonny
"Sure." I said reaching for the salt. "But you know what really ticks me off? Why do pseudo-intellectuals keep insisting that fans are a symbol of death? ...

Sample THREE - Antilla
Paths snaked through the blossoming landscape of Vermögen like fat arteries, with the red brick corpuscles flowing along in their tight knit way to the arboretums and orangeries which grew from beds of English ivy ...

Sample FOUR - ShadowDog
Ten thousand years ago there might have been bottom shaped depressions on the side of the path wild boar walking took from the clearing they called home down to creek where they drank their fill. Even after the boar had moved on or all been eaten this path would continue to be used by what passed for human back then ...

Sample FIVE - GreenLightBaby
Belly down on a wooden table was not my idea of a vacation. Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I concentrated on breathing. Inhale. Exhale. Flexed my right index finger ...

Sample SIX - Nixie
I don't believe in anything but myself.
I don't believe in you and I don't believe in us ...

Sample SEVEN - Iceheart
She was 15 years old, and everything about her slouched; her clothes, her posture, even the expression on her face. The only other person in the room was a middle-aged woman, well coiffed and poised, with a tablet and pen posed at the ready ...

Now we come to the voting. For every voting author, your own submission has been discounted when it comes to your specific vote. It neither hurts you nor helps you.

Cashmere 1 correct (GreenLightBaby) 14%
GreenLightBaby 2 correct (Copper, Nixie) 34%
Iceheart 2 correct (Copper, GreenLightBaby) 34%
Nixie 2 correct (GreenLightBaby, ShadowDog) 34%
ShadowDog 2 correct (GreenLightBaby, Nixie) 34%
Sonny 2 correct (GreenLightBaby, Nixie) 40%
Foxglove 3 correct (GreenLightBaby, Iceheart, Nixie) 43%

And with the most correct (percentage wise) we have:

Copper 3 correct (Antilla, GreenLightBaby, Iceheart) 50%

Next we have the most recognizable sample. What you're seeing here are the number of correctly cast votes. Again, I've totally thrown out the author's own vote when it came to their own submission.

Sonny 0 votes 0%
Antilla 1 vote 13%
ShadowDog 1 vote 17%
Copper 2 votes 29%
Iceheart 2 votes 29%
Nixie 4 votes 57%

And for the most recognizable we have:

GreenLightBaby 7 votes 100%

Finally we come to mistaken identities. This is which donkey you pinned which tail on. And yep, I've disregarded the author's vote when it comes to their specific submission once more.

GreenLightBaby's sample was thought to be GreenLightBaby's by 100% of voters
Nixie's sample was thought to be Nixie's by 57% of voters
Copper's sample was thought to be Antilla's by 43% of voters
Iceheart's sample was thought to be Richcelt's by 57% of voters
Antilla's sample was thought to be Copper's by 63% of voters
ShadowDog's sample was thought to be Richcelt's by 67% of voters

And for the piece that totally baffled you all we have:

Sonny's sample was thought to be ShadowDog's by 100% of voters

That wraps up another contest. You people are terrible guessers. Try to work on that.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I WIN I WIN!

hilarious that people thought my writing was Antilla's. And that people thought Antilla's was mine. He used all those big words and complicated sentences. I could never write that pretty.

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 7,265 posts
Haha, I knew I was going to do poorly on that one. I submit that most of you were trying to fool everyone. Or that's what I'll keep telling myself .

Congrats, Copper!

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
when antilla asked me for a sample I just randomly went to one of my unfinished stories and copied and pasted a bit. no hoodwinking intended!

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,412 posts
Whoo, Copper! :)

A question to the writers after this contest is over.

How many of you are going to continue writing more of these tantalizing tidbits? :)

Count me out :P

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Congrats Coppy! You know us all well. :drool:

Sample SEVEN - Iceheart

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hilarious that people thought my writing was Antilla's. And that people thought Antilla's was mine. He used all those big words and complicated sentences. I could never write that pretty.

You two really inhabited each other very well, even though it wasn't intentional.

I would have bet anything Richcelt did a sample. Especially considering how much he writes. Then again, if he'd have submitted a sample then he would have been voting and commenting so that should have told me something.

GreenLightBaby you ****ing liar!!!! YOU SWORE IT WASN'T YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,412 posts

Sample SEVEN - Iceheart

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Point #1 - HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Point #2 - I would have figured yours out if I didn't think Sonny was you, so right back at you :P

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
:lol:

congrats copper! :)

i cant believe so many people figured me out. :( i went outside the box dammit! :lol:

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
I think the moral here is clear. All of us have a little Shadowdog inside. We just need to harness our hate and any one of us can be a Shadowdog. Well, harness our hate and put on a fat suit.

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts
Congrats Copper.

I'll comment more in the next day or two. It's too damn cold in this room.

BTW Antilla, I'm about 10 minutes away west of the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia Beach. Those snowy pictures from the beach. We got about 10 inches here closing everything down. We haven't gotten that much snow in more than 10 years so everything closes down. We got hit again with a couple inches Saturday and might get more tomorrow. I got nothing to complain about since my brother's up near DC and he got more than 2 feet and going to get more.

SD, yesterday I was going to type up something on how I got my idea for my entry, but the Super Bowl got in the way. It's pretty funny with Mike, Fi and Sam helping me out.

BTW my entry was a gimme because I suck at guessing. SD totally could have wrote it. :drool: I'll have to think of something for the next part of that one.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
I'm on the western side of the state, on the cusp of the Shenandoah valley - not so far outside of a small city named Staunton. Cold air routinely gets trapped in the mountains and the moisture shunts up alongside them. We get more snow here than some people realize. So last weekend it was fourteen inches - a little less, perhaps, than was predicted - but we already had ten inches on the ground.

And hey. It's snowing right now.

It's been a long time since I went to the beach. I can't remember much at all. Only that the nearby Sandbridge Beach area seemed a little a better to me because their were fewer people and it was all not as slick looking. I'm sure it's all swarmed now. Also: there was absolutely no snow. This was a good thing.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

I think the moral here is clear. All of us have a little Shadowdog inside. We just need to harness our hate and any one of us can be a Shadowdog. Well, harness our hate and put on a fat suit.

Oh, by the way, you should take off your old suit now. ... What? ... Oh, I see. :D

BTW my entry was a gimme because I suck at guessing. SD totally could have wrote it. :drool: I'll have to think of something for the next part of that one.

You could have totally had us all in the dark if only you'd written about sparkly vampires or something. LMFAO

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts

You could have totally had us all in the dark if only you'd written about sparkly vampires or something. LMFAO

In the years you've known me, have you ever read anything of mine that had vamps or other supernatural creatures? I'm not talking about androids and such. That's right. I haven't. I leave the supernatural to those who can write it better. I suck at worldbuilding and that would be too much work to work on the mythology of said creature.

That character and scenario popped into my mind five minutes after I read Antilla's email requesting a writing sample. She was so forceful and wanted it exactly as such. After visualizing the scene for a day, I wrote it the next day, revising it three times to fit her attitude.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,412 posts

In the years you've known me, have you ever read anything of mine that had vamps or other supernatural creatures? I'm not talking about androids and such. That's right. I haven't. I leave the supernatural to those who can write it better. I suck at worldbuilding and that would be too much work to work on the mythology of said creature.

But that's why it would have been so misleading, if you could have written a paragraph or two outside of your normal zone ;)

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Considering how much work GLB puts into her normal writing, I imagine she'd die of sleep deprivation if she tried to world build.

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts

But that's why it would have been so misleading, if you could have written a paragraph or two outside of your normal zone ;)

The muse put a gun to my head so I follow her lead otherwise she'll disappear for close to a year. That happened a few years back and I still can't finish that story. Doesn't matter that I have all the notes, outlines and input from my beta readers. If the muse doesn't like it, I'll be blocked.

Considering how much work GLB puts into her normal writing, I imagine she'd die of sleep deprivation if she tried to world build.

You know me well, grasshopper. :drool: It's bad enough when the same scene runs through my mind for days at a time until I write it down. If I try to do a lot of world building, I'll never get to sleep.

Reply to this topic