Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Guess! That! Author!

48 replies to this topic

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Sprawled out below you'll see several threads featuring writing samples - only a kooky mix-up at the factory means the author's name has been accidentally erased. Oh my. How will we ever be able to assign royalty checks now?

I don't know. I guess I'll just keep them all. I assure you that those non-existent dollars will be spent as frivolously as I can manage.

The premise is pretty basic. We've did this before. Read the sample. Guess the author. Maybe give us a note on why you picked the way you did, or discuss the actual text if you like.

Remember: all of this is going to require a bit of subterfuge from our writers because I've decided to leave the replies on. If you're one of the few, when you recognize your piece be sure and play along. Act naturally, or try to throw everyone off your track. If you accidentally give yourself away, I'm gonna point and laugh like nobody's business. The curtain will be pulled back during the later part of this week when we've all had a chance to register our guesses.

So game on.
  • ShadowDog, GreenLightBaby and Sonny +1 this

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
Another contest! Fantastic!

Your intros are always as good as the contest themselves.

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
Only a couple stood out to me. I am going to have to dwell on the rest of them.

Also I think any of you who are enjoying this contest should give Antilla a plus one in this thread. Another great job, Antilla!

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
My only regret is that, barring a soap opera-ish episode of amnesia, I don't get to play. That, and I feel like I may be tempting fate since I have had no computer issues at all since the last contest wrapped up. I dare the binary gods to smite me this time. I just dare them.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
wouldn't it be funny if Antilla wrote all of these.

WOULDN'T IT?

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,588 posts
I thought he did...?

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
I don't see a rule saying a person could not enter twice or more either. So it could be more than Antilla punking us.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
That's all true. And I really thought it would take several days for someone to come to the conclusion that an author may have multiple samples.

Or I could just be fanning the flames of paranoia.

It's just so hard to be sure.

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts
I'm horrible at guessing. Great job writers. Some disguised their voices well. I'd get a vibe one way then looked at the writing again then got another.

A question to the writers after this contest is over.

How many of you are going to continue writing more of these tantalizing tidbits? :)

Thanks again Antilla for this contest!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Agreed, this is ****ing awesome! Good job working this up, Anty. Maybe next time you'll even invite me to submit a writing sample. :(

I love the idea Icy had of us doing a contest where we try to crib off another Nightly writer's style. I'd love to do something in a GLB or Anty voice. :drool:

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts

Agreed, this is ****ing awesome! Good job working this up, Anty. Maybe next time you'll even invite me to submit a writing sample. :(

I'm betting a PECAN PIE that you did. :drool:

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
This contest has already generated enough lies to fill the Royal Albert Hall, but that wasn't one of them. I SWEAR.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
LMFAO

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts
Waiting for Ashton to tell us that we've been punked. ROFL

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Hey, do you mind waiting until about Friday? Just got a text from Sonny and co that they're internet has been ass since the storm hit and now it's completely out. Mine was ass all weekend and I was without internet at all for two and a half ****ing days. If you give us til Friday the snow should be gone and the internet back full speed for all us NC losers who wanted to finish reading and voting. :drool:

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Okay. I'll bend the rules. Just this once. I'll aim for Saturday afternoon as a wrap-up date. We'll see if I hit it. This weekend could hold yet another large snow storm for the state nestled directly to your north, the one I'm holding down, so who knows what will happen with that.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
MORE ****ing snow? Are you kidding me? We've already had more this year than the previous five years combined.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
It's snowing right now here. It was predicted to start around 1 this afternoon and fall lightly though the night. It started before 10 and has been stacking up nicely atop the 12 inches from last Saturday. This weekend will probably be rain for you. Or rain to ice. If everything lines up, we could get another couple of feet - a replay of the mid-December event.

Virginia is the new Siberia.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That's where GreenLightBaby lives too, so you two burrow under and stay safe.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,588 posts

Hey, do you mind waiting until about Friday? Just got a text from Sonny and co that they're internet has been ass since the storm hit and now it's completely out. Mine was ass all weekend and I was without internet at all for two and a half ****ing days. If you give us til Friday the snow should be gone and the internet back full speed for all us NC losers who wanted to finish reading and voting. :drool:

I have to laugh. You people down there. We have multiple blizzards EVERY YEAR, and we all hunker down and spend the entire storm on our perfectly working internet and watching our perfectly working satellite tv :P Then, we all have to wade through knee-deep snow to go to work and school. AND WE LIKE IT :P

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

We have multiple blizzards EVERY YEAR,

Which is why you're well equiped to handle them. We have one every 3-5 years. That's not often enough to bury all our phone lines and whatnot. Having said that, it IS hilarious to see people making the bread runs at the grocery store every time there's a one inch snow forecast. LMFAO

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,588 posts
So ask the routinely snow-bound how to preserve innarwebs signal through snow before it hits ;)

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Hey, my connection has been strong for a solid day now so Sonny's on his own. :drool:

Svenn

Svenn

• Members
  • 725 posts
Sadly, I'm too new to this sub-forum to be familiar with really any of your writing. But hey, just for giggles I guess I could randomly guess based upon what I've read of everybody's normal posts from around the site.

As for the snow issue, I was pleasantly surprised that power outages were pretty minimal around here last weekend. The snow was too powdery, so nothing stuck to any limbs or anything else that might be in danger of falling. And Shadowdog's right, we'd lose less power here in snowstorms if we ever had snowstorms. The problem is that all of the trees around here have plenty of time between storms to grow long, weaker limbs overhanging power lines, or dead limbs, or what have you. So when a storm finally hits, all hell breaks loose.

Last week when everybody knew the storm was coming I heard a quote from some higher-up at either Progress Energy or Duke Power (can't remember which) who said that even though burying cables would help in storms like this, that it generally creates bigger problems that are harder to fix, and it isn't worth it. That might have just been bull, given that they probably don't have the money to do it anyway. But maybe there's truth to it too.

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 7,265 posts
Around these parts the power companies prune the trees back and/or remove aging trees near power lines. In fact, when we needed a tree removed at work (non-profit), we called the power company and they did it for us free of charge.

Reply to this topic