Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dragon Age: Origins

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts
noticed from the xmas thread that quite a few folks have picked this up
what you guys think so far?

i'm loving it
same old formula as KOTOR and mass effect with just enough little changes to keep it interesting

naturally i'm being a total bastard on my 1st playthrough
Spoiler! --Click here to view--
just finished the part where the wee boy is possessed by a demon. after bailing out before defending the village at night, i returned to find it deserted. the one suvivor says because i abandoned them the entire village was wiped out and we goto the castel. when we get there all the villagers are there. as zombies. so we murder them all and find the wee boy who's running the show. his mum pleads for me to save him and a blood mage pipes up with a way to beat the demon and save the boy. but i'm not taking any chances so i kick the **** out the boy. his mum intervenes to try and stop me one last time. i punch her lights out and kill him

only played 13 hours so far, pretty sure i haven't even scratched the surface yet
good times ahead

oh and who said star trek voyager was a career killer?
janeway, tuvok and barclay are all listed in the voicecast, but dont let that stop you

Lord Malice

Lord Malice

The Pixelante

• 12,646 posts
Unfortunately, it seems like the console versions are gimped to hell. The game was worked on as an exclusive for the PC for about 4 years before it was decided that it would be ported to the 360 and PS3. I own the PC version and love it. It's unbelievably polished, runs at a smooth 60 FPS, and looks gorgeous. I had a chance to play the 360 version and it was total rubbish in comparison.

As a PC gamer though, I'm totally happy that, for once, the PC users got the superior non-ported version of the game.

Chaos_Effect

Chaos_Effect

• Members
  • 9,122 posts
My PC can't handle it so I'm going to have to get it for PS3.

Gman

Gman

Just call me Buck

• Members
  • 1,054 posts
I'm still on the tutorial and I'm really enjoying it. The combat seems a bit off, though. I click the weapon, then the enemy, then click the weapon again? What's up with that? Or, am I just a stupid tool for not being able to figure it out so far?

Oh yeah, it's the PC version.

Edited by Gman, 07 November 2009 - 03:53 PM.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
I'm downloading this right now off of steam.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
If anyone has the PS3 version of this PLS report back and tell us if it has terrible frame rates and pop up issues as compared to the 360 like I'm hearing all the downers yell about at other places.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts
not seen any problems with the frame rate on the 360. you get the odd bug, but all bioware games come with those as standard

from what i've read tho, the ps3 version is slightly less buggy

i've clocked up 24 hours of play since friday morning.......

Stormtrooper X

Stormtrooper X

Mr. X too you!

• Members
  • 1,973 posts
I like it. I got mine on the 360 so I could get the Mass Effect armor. I wish there was a little more to do career wise but all in all an awesome game so far.

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
I'm playing on the 360 and love it. I won't say that it's better than the PC version, but there is nothing wrong with the 360 one.

BTW, loving this game. :)

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts
i'm on the final battle
it's a bitch

i even flipped it onto casual and it's still a bitch

clocked up about 36 hours

must have missed a LOAD as i'm only lvl 18

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts
just finished it
funnily enough on my 1st go when i switched it on this evening

wee tip. dont sit through the 20mins of credits. there is nothing at the end

PACMAN729

PACMAN729

• Members
  • 1,278 posts
I think I'll be getting this. I dunno when though.

Stormtrooper X

Stormtrooper X

Mr. X too you!

• Members
  • 1,973 posts
Did you have any glitches with the Captured mission?

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts
glitches as in did i use cheats, or problems with it?

cant even remeber that quest tbh!

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts
I didn't have any glitch at any point during my game. I played through on 360.

Treq

Treq

What's this?

• Members
  • 987 posts
any one else finding it pretty hard?

got battered by the wolves random fight
got battered in the urn of sacred ashes quest
got battered doing Morrigans quest!!

Stormtrooper X

Stormtrooper X

Mr. X too you!

• Members
  • 1,973 posts
I'm playing it on 360. I'm not using any cheats. It's really annoying.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
I'm heavily considering this for 360. I loved Mass Effect, so what the hey.

Is it Mass Effect'ish...IE, do you actually DO stuff? Or is it more like RPG's where you point and the game does the fighting for you?

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts

I'm heavily considering this for 360. I loved Mass Effect, so what the hey.

Is it Mass Effect'ish...IE, do you actually DO stuff? Or is it more like RPG's where you point and the game does the fighting for you?

It's not "aim and shoot" like Mass Effect, but it's not a Final Fantasy style turn-based game either. You have a party of four people (mages, warriors, rogues, whatever combination you want) and your allies have AI like Mass Effect. You can swap between your main character and the allies at any time, but when fighting your character can attack or use any number of skills. It's not button-mashy direct action, but like I said, it is far from a slow turn-based game. You can also pause the action at anytime to issue commands, but mostly the combat is very fast and hectic.

It uses the PC RPG Baldur's Gate as its foundation, but if I had to compare it to a console RPG Final Fantasy XII would be the closest in terms of combat, but you have more interaction and customization than you did in FFXII. Also, the story is just like Mass Effect, in that your decisions really matter. Party members might turn against you if you do something they don't like.

It's great, but I can't say that it's just like Mass Effect by any means, though the similarities are there.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
I know for a fact that I'll be getting it for Christmas. I've never been a huge fan of standard RPG's (though I loved Chrono Cross), but maybe this will turn the corner for me so to speak.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
It sounds like it plays a bit like Jade Empire, fighting control scheme wise. Would that be accurate?

Macstorm

Macstorm

Whipped

• Members
  • 17,338 posts

It sounds like it plays a bit like Jade Empire, fighting control scheme wise. Would that be accurate?

Never played JE, so I couldn't say.

Edit: Looking at JE videos, I think JE is more action-based than DAO.

Corbett

Corbett

• Members
  • 47 posts
Jade Empire is more action based, definately.

Unfortunately, it seems like the console versions are gimped to hell. The game was worked on as an exclusive for the PC for about 4 years before it was decided that it would be ported to the 360 and PS3. I own the PC version and love it. It's unbelievably polished, runs at a smooth 60 FPS, and looks gorgeous. I had a chance to play the 360 version and it was total rubbish in comparison.

As a PC gamer though, I'm totally happy that, for once, the PC users got the superior non-ported version of the game.

Yeah, even though both mass effect and kotor were both at least as good as the PC version, I went with the pc version of Dragon Age.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts
played it through 3 times on the ps3 now. got every trophy bar the heavy hitter one. where you need to dish out 250 damage to a single target in blow

any ideas?

i quite fancy my 1st platinum trophy!

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,503 posts
got it! woo-hoo! my 1st platinum!

for anyone thats going for it, use a ranged rogue and use arrow of slaying from stealth