What monthlies are you buying?

NumberSix

Couldn't decide whether or not to pick up The Kitchen. My shop orders light on new Vertigo titles, so they may not even have carried it.

Forgot to ask:

Also, can I just say **** John Cassaday?

What'd he do now, ruin the new Star Wars comic already? Or is this just in general?

Just in general. He gets these huge epic jobs-- Planetary, Astonishing X-Men with Whedon, Marvel's Star Wars, Uncanny Avengers... He's stalled every single one of them for months. I give Star Wars 3 issues before he falls behind.

I used to like his art, but I feel like he's gotten worse. Everyone looks like they have down syndrome.

He's my Keanu Reeves of comics-- he keeps ruing stuff I want to love.

Great analogy. Three issues sounds exactly right.

I still like his covers on occasion, but I got tired of his interiors on Astonishing X-Men when he got to the point where widescreen panel layouts were the only kind of panels he knew how to draw. The lessons of Eisner's Comics and Sequential Art were never part of his curriculum, I'm guessing.

My books of late have been the following:

All-New X-Men

Axis (I should have dropped it after the first few issues, but I'll stick it out the last one now)

Batman

Batman and Robin

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ultimate Spider-Man

Star Trek

Multiveristy

Wytches

Amazing Spider-Man (and a few of the related tie-ins to Spider-Verse, which have been far more interesting than Axis)

Avengers

Avengers World

Harley Quinn

Peter Panzerfaust

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (not the cartoon tie-in)

Thor

Uncanny X-Men

Grayson

Secret Six (I'll give it a few more issues based on history, but the first issue didn't do a whole lot for me)

Swamp Thing

Judge Dredd

New Avengers

Deadpool

Loki

Morning Glories

She-Hulk

Silver Surfer

Birthright

Saga

Miracleman

Recently dropped (among others that I can't remember):

Superior Iron Man (A waste of a potentially interesting concept)

Wonder Woman (I stopped with the end of Azzarello's run)

I feel like there are some others I have left off from Image, but I didn't feel like venturing out of the recently purchased list on Comixology. That's also why the titles are in such a strange order. I'll probably be trimming some more titles in the near future, too, after ridding myself of a number of DC books I was reading just for the sake of it.

Yeah Superior Iron Man totally pooped the bed.

I bailed on Axis after the first issue-- the banter felt really forced to me. I have problems with Rick Remender. He is a super nice guy (again, I've met most all of the working for CBR) and I generally love his concepts. Every new book he does sounds awesome to me-- but somehow they always miss the mark. I'm glad I'm in a minority, cause he deserves the success, I'm just not into his stuff.

I loved, loved, loved Remender's run on Venom when it wasn't jammed up with crossovers. I wasn't even a fan of the character, but I love that the whole thing turned psychoanalytical with Flash Thompson working through his abusive dad's legacy and his own hotheadedness that came out of it, and in the end the symbiote became a metaphor for it all.

The first Deadly Class trade wasn't bad, for some reason -- all stylized, snotty attitude and unsentimental '80s setting with zero sappy nostalgia, and its ongoing fights with evil versus more evil, kinda like Secret Six in its pre-New 52 heyday.

But his Marvel/DC work nowadays all seems to be crossovers (NO NO NO NO NO) and/or team books, which I just can't get into anymore.

I'm in a similar place with him. Of course, I haven't met him, but I've read a number of his Marvel books, largely thanks to comixology sales, and, while I like that he's had ideas in place for where he's building to long-term, various aspects of (most of) the books just haven't done it for me. For Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers, I think it may have been at least partly due to the Apocolypse mythology going right past me since I am not really familliar with anything but the basics of it.

All of the characterizations in Axis have felt really off to me because all of the characters involved with the inversion have been extremely one-note. Some of the books dealing with effects of it, like Loki and Deadpool, are doing interesting things with the concept, but, otherwise, the entire event, much like UA before it, has seemed so disconnected from everything going on in other books. It also doesn't really help that it is going on as Hickman is ramping things up by crossing his two books over with Avengers World, building to what looks to be something bigger and more interesting than Axis.

The timing of the event has also been horrible for Falcon as Captain America. Having him take over the mantle just in time to turn into a homicidal maniac doesn't exactly make for an easy transition.

The mess that is Axis aside, though, I get why he is popular. He just doesn't quite do it for me. A book that is similar for me is Captain Marvel. I've read the first however many issues of the second most recent series (it did just restart at numbr one, right?) and I liked it well enough and really appreciate the book, but it didn't really hit the spot for me. At the same time, though, I hope the book is successful.

I loved, loved, loved Remender's run on Venom when it wasn't jammed up with crossovers. I wasn't even a fan of the character, but I love that the whole thing turned psychoanalytical with Flash Thompson working through his abusive dad's legacy and his own hotheadedness that came out of it, and in the end the symbiote became a metaphor for it all.

I had forgotten hat he did that. That's easily my favorite of his books that I've read (at least) for, more or less, the reasons you mentioned. I'm sure its partly because I've come into reading Marvel books more recently and not at Venom's heyday, but Eddie Brock as Venom isn't nearly as interesting to me as either Mac Gargan (for some reason) and Flash.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.