What monthlies are you buying?

NumberSix

I went back and looked and it DID actually. Maybe it's because I soured on Lucas and I hadn't read those drafts since that late 90s during prequel build-up that I used to cut them more slack. But they are very dry and terrible. Lucas never has been a writer. American Graffitti and ANH had ghost-writers. THX was minimalist enough that maybe it didn't show?

• 3 months later...

Quarterly update time!

Marvel, ongoing:

Amazing Spider-Man (post-relaunch trial basis, but it's mired so heavily in Superior Spider-Man blowback that it's not quite the new-reader clean slate I was looking for)

Captain Marvel

Daredevil
Hawkguy (at least I think it's not canceled but I sure miss when it was monthly)
Hulk

Magneto

Moon Knight

Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk

Silver Surfer

DC, ongoing:

Batman '66

Image, ongoing:

Alex + Ada

Lazarus

Manifest Destiny
The Manhattan Projects

Shutter

Trees

The Wicked and the Divine

Other companies and imprints, ongoing:

Angel & Faith

Astro City
Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10

Harbinger

Lumberjanes

Rai
Star Wars

United States of Murder Inc.

Miniseries:

Atomic Robo and the Knights of the Golden Circle

Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet

Brain Boy: the Men from G.E.S.T.A.L.T.

Original Sin (but almost none of the crossovers)

Original Sin: Hulk vs. Iron Man (...except this one. Mark Waid plus Kieron Gillen is hard to turn down.)

The Royals: Masters of War

Sandman: Overture (stretching that "series" aspect a bit, granted)

Star Wars: Rebel Heist

The Unwritten: Apocalypse

Dropped titles:

Dead Boy Detectives: I'm picky about Sandman spinoffs, and this one was lacking a certain...I dunno, lyricism? Something was off and it felt dull.

Deadpool: For some reason the writers turned to Serious Business and slashed the black comedy by 90%. Why would you do this?

Indestructible Hulk: Pointlessly canceled and replaced with Adjectiveless Hulk.

Rocket Girl: Just felt it wasn't for me.

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind: The show's performances were 80% of its charm. Nearly every Firefly print project has fallen flat for me, with or without Whedon's guidance.

Suicide Risk: Interesting premise took a hard left turn stolen straight out of Hancock, which sucked.

Swamp Thing: Ever since DC's New 52 began, crossovers have been cause for instant drop. In this case, a crossover with Aquaman.

Ms. Marvel has everything an all-ages starter-hero series should have -- hero with a distinct personality; strong supporting cast; fun moments during the power discovery phase; forthright senses of humor and morality. The knee-jerk complaints about her being yet another nonwhite hero with a legacy name have bounced off me, and I'm not all "OH NOES ISLAM BRAINWASHING" either. Great stuff.

I'm steering clear of team books in general, but this is Marvel's strongest solo-hero lineup in a long time.

• 5 months later...

The Multiversity Issues 1-4 : whaaaaat? gonna need some annotations for the annotations on this one. The story is half over and I'm not really clear on what happens where or when or to whom. Looks pretty though.

Nonplayer -- I'd keep it on the list if there were a chance of #2 existing before I die.

get your affairs in order maybe http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/12/nate-simpson-announces-hes-finished-nonplayer-2/

The Multiversity Issues 1-4 : whaaaaat? gonna need some annotations for the annotations on this one. The story is half over and I'm not really clear on what happens where or when or to whom. Looks pretty though.

My exact reaction to, like, four of the last five Morrison projects I tried (Happy was shockingly straightforward). I've given up on Morrison ever writing anything lucid ever again, so I pre-avoided Multiversity.

I have event crossover fatigue like whoa

This, except mine came years sooner. I have other hobbies and interests I'd like to devote time to nowadays instead of wasting my free-time minutes reading comics cash-grab stunts. I believe in the medium, but I can't be its devoted servant anymore.

And since I'm here anyway: overdue quarterly update time! I'm still hanging in there, but looking for any excuses to drop titles:

Marvel, ongoing:

Captain Marvel

Daredevil

Hawkguy (are we pretending this is still a thing?)

Hulk

Moon Knight

Ms. Marvel

She-Hulk (alas, canceled and ending soon)

Silver Surfer

DC, ongoing:

Batman '66

Secret Six (part of the New 52 alienated-former-DC-readers outreach program)

Image, ongoing:

Alex + Ada

Copperhead

Lazarus

Manifest Destiny

The Manhattan Projects

Nonplayer (...so you're saying there's a CHANCE!)

Shutter

Supreme: Blue Rose

The Wicked and the Divine

Wayward

Wytches

Other companies and imprints, ongoing:

Angel & Faith

Astro City

The Autumnlands: Tooth and Claw

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10

Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland

Rai

United States of Murder Inc.

Miniseries:

Godzilla: Cataclysm

Memetic

Q2: the Return of Quantum & Woody

Sandman: Overture (SIGH.)

Sleepy Hollow

The Unwritten: Apocalypse (one more issue to go!)

Wild's End (Dan Abnett writing Wind in the Willows versus War of the Worlds -- crazy stuff)

Dropped titles:

Amazing Spider-Man: Spent too much time dwelling on dangling Superior Spider-Man subplots that meant nothing to me.

Atomic Robo and the Knights of the Golden Circle: I quit in the middle of a miniseries because my bitterness about the years-long delinquency of the Atomic Robo: Last Stop Kickstarter has finally ruined Atomic Robo for me altogether, even though the Kickstarter wasn't strictly the fault of Robo's creators, but now I can't look at one without seething about the other.

Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet: Another dropped miniseries; wasn't one-tenth as clever as Jeff Parker's work on Batman '66.

Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps: Valiant went crossover-happy and now apparently that's ALL they do.

Harbinger: Ended with #25; relaunched as a crossover miniseries. No.

Lumberjanes: The first arc was cute and I thought it deserved support, but it's not actually my thing.

Magneto: They had a crossover. Period.

Star Wars: I kept buying this for my wife but lost track of it months ago, and then Dark Horse lost the license forever, but you can bet I'm on board with the Marvel relaunch.

Trees: Each issue took three minutes to read and I stopped remembering what happened in previous issues, assuming anything did happen in previous issues, which I wouldn't know because I forgot.

The ingredients are borrowed leftovers from old crime dramas, grilled up in a thick sci-fi marinade and topped with a light Firefly seasoning, but it's a kind of light, tasty casserole that no one else is serving right now. The secret ingredient: the characters, I think.

I'm really intrigued at ideas like a disenfranchised android living out in the wilderness away from civilization, "roughing it" like a man's man. Or the extra-large deputy who's basically a fuzzy Harvey Bullock who's upset that he got beaten out for promotion, and now in #4 we learn he has a Captain Reynolds kind of past. The new sheriff in town who's a single mom and a loose cannon. The alien domestic dispute belying a possible religious conflict.

There's a lot going on, and it's fun. And the art ain't half bad.

We got to meet Jay Faerber at a con a few months ago. Pretty nice guy, and now I have this hefty Noble Causes phone-book collection to dig into sometime, too.

Alex + Ada is weird: the art is minimalist and the story crawls along, so I feel like I should be spurning it, but it has so many fine little touches and twists and tender moments to it. It's consistently near the top of my reading stack.

I've never even heard of The Bunker, so I looked it up and figured out why pretty quickly: my local shop almost never orders any Oni Press books. :angry:

I forgot to mention the one and only comic I have actually pre-ordered (or, really, subscribed to) which is Michel Fiffe's Copra and I highly recommend it to everyone and anyone. I might also get the first two issues of Busiek and Dewey's Tooth and Claw when I go to a real life comic store to get the new Multiversity (Cameron Stewart!1!!!) and who knows maybe pick up Trees or check to see if there's any Desolation Jones or Fell or Doktor Sleepless there too.

Desolation Jones is 100% worth it except the non-JH-Williams-III-illustrated final issue that left us all hanging. Fell was a fun experiment, but differently petered out. Forgot about Doktor Sleepless, never got around to it.

I really like the art in Tooth and Claw and am really curious to see where Busiek is going with it, but I'm a little annoyed that I predicted the nature of the Great Champion before I was done reading #1, so the reveal in #2 wasn't quite a moment of awe.

The ingredients are borrowed leftovers from old crime dramas, grilled up in a thick sci-fi marinade and topped with a light Firefly seasoning, but it's a kind of light, tasty casserole that no one else is serving right now. The secret ingredient: the characters, I think.

I'm really intrigued at ideas like a disenfranchised android living out in the wilderness away from civilization, "roughing it" like a man's man. Or the extra-large deputy who's basically a fuzzy Harvey Bullock who's upset that he got beaten out for promotion, and now in #4 we learn he has a Captain Reynolds kind of past. The new sheriff in town who's a single mom and a loose cannon. The alien domestic dispute belying a possible religious conflict.

There's a lot going on, and it's fun. And the art ain't half bad.

We got to meet Jay Faerber at a con a few months ago. Pretty nice guy, and now I have this hefty Noble Causes phone-book collection to dig into sometime, too.

I had a space-cop pilot written years ago that I guess I should have pushed to a comic. There's no less than four of them out now, Fuse, Copperhead, Roche Limit and some other one...

Copperhead is the only one I stuck with-- and I recall now what it reminds me of-- the very first Predator vs Aliens comic Darkhorse did. Very similar set up.

And yeah, Jay is a nice guy. I've interviewed him 3 or 4 times and did some motion graphics for him at one point.

Anybody reading The Bunker because its fantastic.

Another guy in comics that I really like is Josh Failkov. Super nice every time we've met. Bunker was awesome, but the art wasn't strong enough for me to track the time periods. I was getting confused and frustrated. It should have been two artists, or maybe different coloring schemes. I may check it out again in trades. That said, his revived PUNKS comic is the best thing ever.

Desolation Jones is 100% worth it except the non-JH-Williams-III-illustrated final issue that left us all hanging. Fell was a fun experiment, but differently petered out. Forgot about Doktor Sleepless, never got around to it.

I was an Ellis mark for years. Jones still remains in my top 5 comics ever. I LOVED that series. Unfortunately Warren's work has shifted. His pitches always sound great, but they always miss the mark for me. Like all the other OG Vertigo guys he's pulled a David Lynch and is so caught up in his own weirdness that he's forgotten how to tell a compelling story. I was bored to hell with Trees after 2 issues.

Here's what I've been reading...

Actively Enjoying

Walking Dead

Invincible

Uncanny X-Men

All New X-Men

Copperhead

Punks

Nailbiter

Ms. Marvel

Cyclops

Stumptown

Moon Knight

Wytches

Saga

Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Silver Surfer

Reading Because It Was Once Good and I Need to Know How it Ends

East of West

Ghost Rider (started great, art has gotten too sloppy)

Powers

United States of Murder

About to Drop

Superior Iron Man

Storm

Outcast

Magneto

Tried and Disliked

The Bunker

Men of Wrath

Southern Bastards

Deep State

Drifter

The Fade Out

GI Joe (relaunch)

Roche Limit

Supreme Blue Rose

Trees

Spread

Started, Willing to Stick With it a Bit

Bitch Planet

The Humans

Wolf Moon

Dropped Because It Went To Poop

Batman (super bummed about that)

Hulk (after Waid left I did too)

The Wake (when it was spooky mer-man stuff, I was in. Flashforward a hundred years to Waterworld and ehhhhh)

I really like the art in Tooth and Claw and am really curious to see where Busiek is going with it, but I'm a little annoyed that I predicted the nature of the Great Champion before I was done reading #1, so the reveal in #2 wasn't quite a moment of awe.

I was trying (and failing!) to make a funny about how Ellis rarely finishes his creator-owned work anymore.

You and all other human peoples can read the first issue of COPRA free and legal at Michel Fiffe's website and if you so choose buy a compendium of the first six issues at this link or maybe from a comic store too I just checked the publisher's twitter feed and it says any copies ordered go on sale 12/17 which is in, like, fifteen minutes.

Like all the other OG Vertigo guys he's pulled a David Lynch and is so caught up in his own weirdness that he's forgotten how to tell a compelling story.

I was going to say that this was an unfair characterization but Ellis and Tula Lotay are blatantly doing David Lynch's Superman (with a touch of Don DeLillo in the dialogue) in Supreme Blue Rose and it certainly applies to some projects by Moore, Morrison, and Milligan.

ONLY GARTH ENNIS KEEPS THE FAITH (and, uh, mmmmmmaybe Gaiman, Delano, and Jenkins)

Reading Because It Was Once Good and I Need to Know How it Ends

United States of Murder

It had a strong start, but now that we're near the inevitable part of every Bendis series where we have to start waiting six months between issues, I'm probably bailing out if the next one isn't out soon.

Tried and Disliked

Men of Wrath

The Fade Out

Roche Limit

Ditto to all three. Men of Wrath repulsed me before I was half-done with #1; Roche Limit bored me after two issues; and I wanted to like The Fade-Out, but it didn't happen.

I was trying (and failing!) to make a funny about how Ellis rarely finishes his creator-owned work anymore.

Eep. I see what you did there. Mea culpa.

I had completely forgotten about Sandman Overture. I'll have to pick up the trade if it ever gets finished.

I'm buying it on the installment plan, but now I wish I'd waited. JH Williams III is one of the greatest artists of our time, but I couldn't tell you what happened last issue even if remembering it would win me some prize money.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.