Infernal Man-Thing

Locke and Key (SERIOUSLY, HURRY UP)

Love and Capes: What to Expect

The Manhattan Projects

Nonplayer (...I guess it still exists?)

Punk Rock Jesus

The Shade

Dropped titles:

Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers -- The title didn't change, but they've added an entire third cast and I have no idea who most of 'em are. Kinda left me cold.

Animal Man -- Crossover fail.

Batgirl -- Crossover fail.

Batman -- Crossover fail.

Justice League Dark -- Crossover fail.

Nightwing -- Crossover fail.

Saga -- As much as I've enjoyed Vaughan's past works, "Let's push the boundaries of sex in comics!" is not my thing.

Dungeons & Dragons -- Canceled because someone in power is stupid, hates me, and hates witty adventure comics.

Spaceman -- When I stop remembering what happened in previous issues, that's usually a good sign that I've lost interest in a series. Alas.

Saga -- As much as I've enjoyed Vaughan's past works, "Let's push the boundaries of sex in comics!" is not my thing.

I don't understand, Six... All I have picked up on in Saga is a message of protecting one's family / child at all costs. I guess certain characters can be a little gritty, but it seems to be the bad guys who are the ones doing really bad things in the bedroom. I don't think it's meant to push the boundaries so much as remind us what our boundaries are, to ensure we understand who the good guys are supposed to be.

Dungeons & Dragons -- Canceled because someone in power is stupid, hates me, and hates witty adventure comics.

I heard an interview with John Rogers, author, where he says it's on hiatus for a while (thanks to a TV-heavy schedule working on his quite fun show Leverage) but will be coming back.

It had just better! :angry:

I don't understand, Six... All I have picked up on in Saga is a message of protecting one's family / child at all costs. I guess certain characters can be a little gritty, but it seems to be the bad guys who are the ones doing really bad things in the bedroom. I don't think it's meant to push the boundaries so much as remind us what our boundaries are, to ensure we understand who the good guys are supposed to be.

I'm perfectly fine with that particular message, but many works and writers can distinguish between good and bad guys without having themselves a good ol' super-sexed-up time. I'm glad Vaughan and Staples have the freedom at Image to create as they see fit, but I'm reluctant to spend money on that kind of material. The Stalk was already pushing it, but I took the extremes of Sextilion as a sign that Saga isn't for me. I realize I'm a minority in the hobby. I'm sure their sales will be fine without me.

I miss out on a lot of legendary writers at Avatar Press for pretty much the same reason. I'll be fine. I'm hardly in danger of running out of good reading material.

• 2 months later...

I'm totally getting front row seats for Kieron Gillen's Iron Man and Young Avengers. I'm also looking forward to Waid/Yu's Indestructible Hulk. Might or might not check out the new Deadpool, and can't decide whether or not to stick with Journey into Mystery once Kid Loki is replaced by Sif.

Not so sure about the rest, because I don't like having too many four-dollar Big Two titles on my pull list, but we'll see.

• 1 month later...

Way overdue for quarterly update:

Marvel, ongoing:

Daredevil

Deadpool

Hawkguy

Indestructible Hulk

Iron Man (replacing Invincible Iron Man)

Journey into Mystery

Venom

DC, ongoing:

Batman Inc.

Dial H

Image, ongoing:

The Activity

Glory (though its cancellation was recently announced)

Great Pacific

The Manhattan Projects

Revival

Image, in limbo:

Danger Club

Nonplayer

Other companies and imprints, ongoing:

Angel and Faith

Bloodshot

Harbinger

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

America's Got Powers

Happy

Idolized

Locke and Key: Omega

Love and Capes: What to Expect

Popeye

Punk Rock Jesus

Spike

Willow

Dropped titles:

Archer and Armstrong -- The political slant was made of broad, annoying caricatures.

Buffy Season 9 -- The team seemed more concerned with perpetrating stunt after headline-grabbing stunt, instead of just making good, readable, exciting comics. The zompires are played out.

Captain Marvel -- The first arc reminded me too much of the most recent Atomic Robo miniseries and lost me quickly.

Demon Knights -- With news of Paul Cornell leaving, I went ahead and jumped ship early, since there was no way he'd be able to get to a resolution or a point in the time remaining.

glamourpuss -- Canceled with #26.

Hypernauts -- It was starting to feel like Legion Lite, which I'd prefer not to pay four bucks an issue to read.

Morning Glories -- Finally got sick of being teased and strung along.

Near Death -- Canceled with #11.

Prophet -- Consistently kept landing near the bottom of my reading stack. It was mind-bending, but wasn't really compelling me to keep up with it.

The Shadow -- Garth Ennis under a PG-13 rating was the only reason I checked this out. He left; I followed.

Snarked -- Canceled with #12.

X-O Manowar -- I made the mistake of reading some of the original Valiant run, and found this new version much slower and duller by comparison.

So my pull list has had kind of a bloodbath over the past few months.

• 6 months later...

Once again way overdue for quarterly update, as in I missed an entire quarter.

Marvel, ongoing:

Daredevil

Deadpool

Hawkguy

Indestructible Hulk

Iron Man

Journey into Mystery

Wolverine

Young Avengers

DC, ongoing: (Now collecting twice as many titles as before! Except two of them are ending in the next two months. BAH.)

Batman Inc.

Dial H

Green Team

Swamp Thing

Image, ongoing:

The Activity

Danger Club (though they've released one issue in the past eight months)

Great Pacific

The Manhattan Projects

Ten Grand

Angel and Faith

Astro City (Welcome to the new Vertigo! I guess.)

Bloodshot

Green Hornet (yay Mark Waid!)

Harbinger

Suicide Risk

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

America's Got Powers (WHERE'S #6 WHERE IS IT?)

Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur

Dropped titles:

Glory -- canceled.

Nonplayer -- I'd keep it on the list if there were a chance of #2 existing before I die.

Revival -- It was just okay, but I resented a risqué cover or two that I didn't feel comfy leaving around the house.

Venom -- After Rick Remender finished his killer run, the new guy had to start with crossovers right away, and they got a new, cheaper artist whose work didn't do much for me, and it was clear the new guy has never read a classic U-Foes story in his entire life because all their voices and powers were wrong, wrong, WRONG.

Marvel:

All new X-men

Uncanny X-men

X-men

Indestructible Hulk

Iron Man

Wolverine and the X-Men

DC

Superman Unchained

Batman

The Wake

(In other words, just Scott Snyder)

Brother Lono (new 100 Bullets!!)

Image:

Invincible

Walking Dead

Saga

Ten Grande

East of West

Comeback

Other:

Private Eye

Red Team

Powers

Dropped:

Avengers books post A vs. X

Wolverine and the Xmen is on the chopping block

Considering a break from Walking Dead and Iron Man as well.

Kinda struggling with Iron Man myself. I want to like it because Kieron Gillen, but it's yet another long-term "Everything You Know Is WRONG!" arc, like the Winter Soldier, the Court of Owls, and other stories I never finished reading. Argh.

LOL about Nonplayer.

I don't know or care about companies so here's mine:

Angel and Faith

Buffy

The Unwritten

Locke and Key

Revival

Saga

Kickass 3

Dungeons and Dragons

East vs West

I collect Fables via trades only.

Comic Book Guy tried to turn me on to Dexter the comic. But he said they Follow the books more than the series and the books suck 1,000 asses.

• 3 months later...

So about two months ago I moved, and between that and starting a new job, I've been way behind on my comic book reading. This morning I decided was a good day to bring the growing pile to the couch with a pot of tea and start reading some of them.

The pile consists of the following:

Elfquest: The Final Quest, by Wendy and Richard Pini. This series is the first thing I remember my dad reading to me when he would come and visit. Over the years, I had collectd everything about the orginial series I could find, though I stopped short of some of the spinoffs. But then I kind of drifted away, and the series kind of fizzled out, but now! The orginal writers and artist are back together and are making a new run of it! The fisrt issue is a $5.99, 60 page comic that basically catches you up with everything that has happenend over the course of everything in the story. It's a little jumpy in places, but I'm excited for the actual run to start in January.

Trillium, by Jeff Lemire. I haven't read anything by this particular creator before, but I am glad I picked up these first three issues. It's great. Sci fi, time travel, weird aliens, magical plants, space ships, PTSD soldiers from WWI. This series has set up a lot, and I'm excited for it to continue. So far, it has three issues.

Saga, by Fiona Staples and Brian K. Vaughn. My love for this series is outwieghed only by my love for chocolate and kittens. I'm glad I've been picking it up since the beginning, and I even got to meet Ms. Staples at the Denver ComicCon last summer and get my first 12 issues signed. This is up to issue 14, and is running strong.

Fairest, by lots of people. This particular arc is done by Sean E Williams. This is a spinoff of Fables, and follows the classic Disney princesses as they make their merry way through their own adventures. My favorite part so far has been the arc about Rapunzel, done by artist Inaki Miranda and writer Lauren Beukes. Now we're on to a Maharaja arc which features Prince Charming, of whom I am not really a fan. Overall, I think issues 6 & 7 (Beauty), and 8-13 (Rapunzel) have been my favorite thus far.

Fables, by Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham, and others. I love fairy tales. I love fairy tales adapted to other places and times. I love this series. I started reading it in trade paperbacks, but have collected at least 50 issues in individual comic form. I'm about three issues behind, so I'll be catching up on this today.

Unwritten, by Mike Carey and Peter Gross, currently joined by Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham right now, in an epic Unwritten/Fables crossover. Unwritten got super meta there for a bit, and I need to go back and reread a chunk of it just for my own piece of mind. Maybe the next time I have a school break, I'll reread the whole series. I'm two issues behind on this.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel and Faith, by Andrew Chambliss and Georges Jeanty, and Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs, respectively. Of the two, I'm digging Angel and Faith way more than Buffy, but as they twine together here at the end of series 9, I'm really digging them both. I'm two issues behind on Buffy and three issues behind on Angel and Faith.

And some random ones that I haven't committed to, but have picked up here and there:

Plume, by K. Lynn Smith. This is a webcomic I've read bits of and dug, so when I saw it at the comic book store, I was excited and thought I'd buy some paper copies. I hope my purchases help support the creator and keep the series going. It's a kind of Western, with weird magic going on, and a kick-ass heroine.

Hinterkind, by Francesco Trifolgi. This is new, out by Vertigo, and it looks interesting. Haven't read it yet, and it's only one issue, but I'll keep you updated.

Akaneiro, by Justin Aclin and Vasilis Lolos. This is a weird twist on Little Red Riding Hood, and I'm digging it.

Cyberforce, Marc Silvestri and Matt Hawkins. Another I haven't really read but am interested in. It's kind of cyber-punky.

Now time to make some more tea and continue my reading.

Hey, wow, quarterly update time:

Marvel, ongoing:

Daredevil

Deadpool

Hawkguy Family Featuring Lady Hawkguy and Pizza Dog and Sometimes Also The Hawkguy

Indestructible Hulk

Iron Man

Young Avengers

DC, ongoing:

Batman '66 (super awesome retro fun that's so super awesome, even my wife is reading it)

Green Team

Swamp Thing

Image, ongoing:

Lazarus (Man, I missed reading Greg Rucka)

The Manhattan Projects

Rocket Girl (creator-owned Manhattan-based time-travel fun)

Ten Grand (new artist pending)

Three (yay Kieron Gillen!)

Astro City

Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps (now with longer, more unwieldy title. Bleah.)

Brain Boy (yay Fred van Lente!)

Green Hornet

Harbinger

Hinterkind (trial basis; still on the fence about this one)

Star Wars (I've been buying this for my wife since #1, but secretly enjoying it as well so might as well add it)

Suicide Risk

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur

Kings Watch (am I the only one who remembers Defenders of the Earth?)

Resident Alien: the Suicide Blonde (a low-key sci-fi curiosity far below too many radars)

THE Star Wars (a most curious trainwreck)

Trillium (REALLY WEIRD)

Dropped titles:

Dial H; Journey into Mystery -- canceled.

Angel and Faith; Batman Inc. -- completed their runs.

Wolverine -- A four-dollar comic that kept taking two minutes to read? Pass.

The Activity -- Loved the art, but could never remember what happened in previous issues. That's usually a sign of not-enjoyment.

Great Pacific -- At some point I started hating the main character, and watching everyone hate on his new garbage nation got monotonous quickly.

Danger Club -- Not actually dropped, but one issue per year doesn't constitute a "series" in my book.

Marvel

Indestructible Hulk

Iron Man (about to drop, hate the current run)

X-Men

Wolverine and the X-Men

Uncanny X-Men

All New X-Men

DC

Batman '66

Batman

Lazarus

Ten Grand

Walking Dead

Invincible

East/West

Saga

Vertigo

The Wake

Brother Lono

Darkhorse

Star Wars (JUST the Wood book)

THE Star Wars

Boom

Red Team

Books so irregular I get them when they come out

Powers

Scarlet

Stumptown

Comeback

Man! Astro City is still playing?

I should go back to collecting or something. I miss it sometimes.

It just relaunched a few months ago as the very first Vertigo title not to bear a mature audiences label. Vertigo's kind of in a different place now.

And holy crap! Kieron Gillen!? I used to post with that dude.

Oh, wow. Seriously? I met him at C2E2 this year. Posed for us an everything.

My understanding is Tumblr idolizes him. I don't buy everything he does, but his run on Journey into Mystery starring Kid Loki was one of Marvel's best series of the past five years.

His Young Avengers is keen in a young-hipster way that suits me, but his Iron Man run has been kinda mixed...though the most recent issue blew minds nationwide, including mine. I'm surprised I didn't hate the two SHOCKING REVELATIONS in it.

I used to frequent the WEF for Warren Ellis (I have not read any of his book writing yet as I believe he has gone to writing novels now) and there was a spin off of the Vhive that I still post out. Gillen used to post all the time but now that he's making a living out of comics it is less and less that I see him.

You are making me long for frivolous spending on comics again, Six. I loved Astro City and had all of the original first run. I also love Rucka so I would love to read his comic stuff again.

I used to frequent the WEF for Warren Ellis (I have not read any of his book writing yet as I believe he has gone to writing novels now) and there was a spin off of the Vhive that I still post out. Gillen used to post all the time but now that he's making a living out of comics it is less and less that I see him.

I poked around the WEF once or twice waaaaay back when, but couldn't stand Delphi's design. Seems like an awful lot of its members are making money in comics now.

(And what do we get for sticking with Nightly? BUPKIS. Hmph.)

You are making me long for frivolous spending on comics again, Six. I loved Astro City and had all of the original first run. I also love Rucka so I would love to read his comic stuff again.

To be honest, I was kinda hoping to start cutting down on my weekly comics fix, but then they go and let people like Rucka and Busiek go and write cool things again. It's not FAIR.

OTOH, I found out this week that both Daredevil and Green Team are ending, so there's a tiny bit of savings...unless DD just relaunches with the exact same team. Mark Waid is hard for me to quit.

• 4 months later...

Whoops, overdue for quarterly update.

Marvel, ongoing:

Daredevil
Deadpool
Hawkguy Family Featuring Lady Hawkguy and Pizza Dog and Sometimes Also The Hawkguy
Indestructible Hulk

Magneto (trial basis -- curious premise)

Moon Knight (with one issue out it's already Best New Comic of the Year)

Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk

DC, ongoing:

Batman '66
Swamp Thing

Image, ongoing:

Alex + Ada

Lazarus

Manifest Destiny
The Manhattan Projects

Rocket Girl

Astro City
Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps

Dead Boy Detectives

Deceivers
Harbinger
Star Wars
Suicide Risk
The Unwritten: Apocalypse

Miniseries:

The Fox (best Archie title of the decade)

The Royals: Masters of War

Sandman: Overture (altough I now completely forget everything that happened in #1 back in whatever year it was published)

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind
Trillium

Dropped titles:

Brain Boy: Was actually just a miniseries.

Iron Man: The two new Everything You Know Is Wrong secrets added to continuity by "The Secret Origin of Tony Stark" didn't bother me, but then the Mandarin returned yet again and I'm not paying four bucks an issue for that even if it's not technically him.

Green Hornet: I kept completely forgetting what had happened in the previous month's issue, which is never a good sign for me.

Green Team: Canceled with #8, but I stopped after #6, four issues after it stopped being readable. Not exactly Art Baltazar and Franco's finest hour.

THE Star Wars: My wife and I just couldn't go on. It made the Senate debate scenes in The Phantom Menace look like high drama.

Ten Grand: That long gap caused by Templesmith's bailout, coupled with his replacement by an inferior artist, made the perfect jumping-off point.

Three: Somehow not as interesting as I'd hoped.

Young Avengers: ended with #15.

Magneto (trial basis -- curious premise)

Moon Knight (with one issue out it's already Best New Comic of the Year)

Sandman: Overture (altough I now completely forget everything that happened in #1 back in whatever year it was published)

Iron Man: The two new Everything You Know Is Wrong secrets added to continuity by "The Secret Origin of Tony Stark" didn't bother me, but then the Mandarin returned yet again and I'm not paying four bucks an issue for that even if it's not technically him.

THE Star Wars: My wife and I just couldn't go on. It made the Senate debate scenes in The Phantom Menace look like high drama.

Ten Grand: That long gap caused by Templesmith's bailout, coupled with his replacement by an inferior artist, made the perfect jumping-off point.

Will update with my list later-- but I wanted to agree with these golden truths.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.