What monthlies are you buying?

NumberSix

Quarterly update yet again!

Marvel, ongoing:

Deadpool

FF (trial basis)

Incredible Hulks (credit Chaos War for sucking me into this one)

Invincible Iron Man

Iron Man 2.0

Thunderbolts

Venom (much to my surprise)

DC, ongoing:

Action Comics

Secret Six

Xombi

Other companies and imprints, ongoing:

Chew

Dungeons & Dragons

Glamourpuss

Morning Glories

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Atomic Robo: the Deadly Art of Science

Fear Itself (we could maybe use a thread about this)

Fear Itself: the Home Front

Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters

Infinite Vacation

Locke and Key: Keys to the Kingdom

Meta 4

Nonplayer

Ruse

Sigil (Crossgen lives again!)

Spike: the Devil You Know

Twilight Guardian (loving this much more than the guy at CBR who keeps trashing it -- it helps if you get the joke)

Warriors Three

Dropped:

Iron Man: Legacy was apparently either canceled without my knowledge or simply ran out of stories. Thor: the Mighty Avenger was cruelly exterminated by comics-hating evildoers. S.H.I.E.L.D. is now a series of miniseries, which it's currently between. I've finally lost my last shreds of patience for IDW's lagging version of Angel (still digging Brian Lynch's Spike miniseries, though). I guess BOOM! either lost their Muppet Show license or wronged the talented Roger Langridge away from it somehow.

As of now, it's:

Batman and Robin

Booster Gold -- until Giffen's run ends in May

Doom Patrol -- until it is unjustly cancelled in May

Jonah Hex

Superboy

Weird Worlds -- This is a fun anthology mini that doesn't get enough credit, IMHO

Xombi

Young Justice -- I enjoy all-ages comics because they're done-in-ones, unlike 95% of what the comics industry puts out today

Avengers Academy

Invincible Iron Man

Locke & Key

Invincible

I graduate in a few months and then head home, so I'm thinking slimming down my pulls by a significant amount.

I'm probably going to end up trade-waiting Invincible and Locke and Key, simply because the former gets way too decompressed (Remember the "Conquest" storyline? There were at least two issues of literally nothing but Invincible and Conquest pounding the snot out of each other. Next to no dialogue or plot development.) and I'm collecting the latter in hardcovers for rereading anyhow.

Booster Gold, Doom Patrol, and Weird Worlds are all on their way out for me, since Giffen's leaving the first, the second is getting cancelled, and the third is a mini.

Young Justice is up in the air, depending on the quality of future issues. I may just cherry-pick the ones I'm interested in and leave the boring-looking issues on the rack.

It seems DC brass can't decide who to put on Batman and Robin for any fixed period, and I haven't really been enjoying Tomasi and Gleason's arc.

In terms of ongoings, that leaves me with Jonah Hex (simply the most consistent book on the market), Superboy (solid teen superheroics courtesy of Jeff Lemire and Pier Gallo), Xombi (super-fun and super-weird), Invincible Iron Man (c'mon... hardly a surprise), and Avengers Academy (Christos Gage is killing it every month on this title).

I enjoyed the first issue of Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and will definitely check out the next few before I make a decision. By the by, Six, I think it's an ongoing.

So that's what I'm working with these days.

I only read the best, so my list is small:

Locke and Key

The Unwritten

American Vampire

Kickass 2

Angel and his spinoffs

And I'm on board for Buffy Season 9 for the first arc, which had BED NOT SUCK or I'm ****ing OUT.

And I wait for trade collections for:

Fables

Mystery House

I've finally lost my last shreds of patience for IDW's lagging version of Angel (still digging Brian Lynch's Spike miniseries, though).

That should be wrapping up since Dark Horse will be handling the license. DH spent the most of its panel at WonderCon discussing their Whedonverse plans.

Yeah, it's wrapping up, with only two issues to go before the finale. Bill Willingham got booted off a few issues ago after his middling attempt, and his replacements haven't improved on his mistakes. With very little time remaining, the most recent issue just now introduced the Big Bad of their story arc, which (according to a recent CBR interview) had to be truncated from a planned 12-issue arc to just six. Even if it'd been good up to this point, that kind of surprise story compression never helps.

Thankfully Spike has the goods. Besides Lynch being a clever writer, he's also setting up to explain where Spike's weird insect minions in Buffy Season 8 came from. It's about time someone bothered to address that.

DC Comics

Action Comics (as of issue #900)

Superman (though I may drop it soon)

Batman Inc.

Batman: The Dark Knight

The Flash

Green Lantern

Justice League of America

Adventure Comics

Legion of Super Heroes

DC Comics mini-series

Brightest Day (pretty much over)

Marvel Comics

Amazing Spider-Man (currently the best superhero comic out there)

Avengers

New Avengers

Secret Avengers (I'm dropping it after Ed Brubaker leaves)

I've finally lost my last shreds of patience for IDW's lagging version of Angel (still digging Brian Lynch's Spike miniseries, though).

That should be wrapping up since Dark Horse will be handling the license. DH spent the most of its panel at WonderCon discussing their Whedonverse plans.

I looked that up and what they said sounds interesting except for one thing:

Dark Horse’s Atkins also told ICv2, “Additionally we are going to be picking up Dollhouse where it left off on the television show, much like we did with Buffy. We are starting as a mini-series and we will see where it goes from there. It will be written by Jed Whedon, who worked on the show as well.”

Um, NO THANKS. It was a great show until they flashed forward and painted themselves into a corner. From there it was on a one way out of control train heading towards Sucksville. I'm out.

Thankfully Spike has the goods. Besides Lynch being a clever writer, he's also setting up to explain where Spike's weird insect minions in Buffy Season 8 came from. It's about time someone bothered to address that.

LMFAO

• 5 months later...

Whoops. Missed a quarterly update. Quite a few changes since last time.

Marvel, ongoing:

Daredevil (Mark Waid, Marcos Martin, no more ninja, and no more Kingpin. Someone at Marvel really loves me.)

Herc (This has consistently sucked since its restart, but now that it's been canceled, I feel obligated to maintain my complete Incredible Hercules set.)

Invincible Iron Man

Journey into Mystery (Kid Loki > Thor)

Secret Avengers (yay Warren Ellis!)

Thunderbolts

Ultimate Comics X-Men (Can't believe this is on here, but Nick Spencer wrote a killer first issue.)

Venom

DC, ongoing:

All-Star Western

Animal Man

Batgirl

Demon Knights

Firestorm

Frankenstein

Justice League Dark

OMAC

Resurrection Man

Angel and Faith

Buffy Season 9

Dungeons & Dragons

Glamourpuss

Morning Glories

Near Death

Star Trek (Just started -- old episodes updated and reimagined with the new film cast.)

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Atomic Robo: the Ghost of Station X

Dollhouse: Epitaphs

Fear Itself

Fear Itself: the Home Front

Godzilla: Gangsters and Goliaths

Infinite Vacation

Locke and Key: Clockworks

Mystic (Crossgen lives again some more!)

Nonplayer (taking it on faith that there'll be a #2 in my lifetime)

The Red Wing

Special acknowledgment must be made of Invincible Iron Man and Thunderbolts, the only two titles on this entire list that I've managed to keep collecting without interruption for four years or more. Thanks very much for that, Marvel. :thumbsup:

Dropped titles:

Deadpool -- Funny in parts, but I got tired of every issue being a three-minute read that I forgot within half an hour.

FF -- The entire cast was booted from the book for two full issues and replaced with a Black Bolt story too dull and shoddily drawn to sustain its own miniseries. It didn't take much to remind me why I dropped Hickman's Fantastic Four in the first place, many months before Torch's doubtlessly temporary and therefore pointless death.

Incredible Hulks -- Ended with #635. Not sure how interested I am in paying an extra dollar per issue for the upcoming Jason Aaron/Marc Silvestri unnecessary renumbering. Might keep an eye out for discounted trades, as I've done with Aaron's Wolverine: Weapon X.

Iron Man 2.0 -- The opening arc, "Palmer Addley is Dead", had the makings of a wild ride at first, until they shelved it unfinished for three months, replaced by a three-part Fear Itself crossover that was basically an Iron Fist miniseries with a few cameos from Rhodey, followed by a Point One issue that still had nothing to do with Palmer Addley. Y'know, when I read a Star Trek novel, I don't expect pages 130-160 to be a wholly unrelated Remo Williams short story.

Action Comics -- As soon as Paul Cornell's Lex Luthor arc ended in #900 and paved the way for yet another Doomsday story, I was done. Not interested in rereading Superman's early years for the 75th time in my life, so you guys can have fun with Grant Morrison's remake.

Secret Six -- Canceled as of #36 because DC hates me.

Xombi -- Canceled as of #6 because DC hates me and wants to see me cry.

Chew -- The first sign that a series is losing me is when I can read an entire issue from beginning to end and still have no recollection what happened the month before. This happened to me with nearly every issue of the "Flambé" arc, and the cutesy jumping ahead to #27 a la Quantum & Woody exacerbated the problem.

Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters -- The monsters kept taking a back seat to dimwitted spoofs of today's dumbest celebrities. This wants to be a MAD Magazine spinoff more than it wants to be a Toho giant-monster comic. When my son, the Godzilla fan, gave up on it, I was more than happy to do likewise.

• 1 month later...

For some reason I thought I replied to this already: yeah, this new Star Trek series is kind of a curious thing. The first two issues reworked "Where No Man Has Gone Before", with Gary Mitchell facing the new version of the crew. #3, out in stores this week, is part 1 of "The Galileo Seven". I haven't seen either episode in ages, so I can't recall well enough to compare, but it's a cute conceit, and you can tell the occasional little difference here and there, especially in #3's conversation between Spock and McCoy about whether or not Spock is frustrated with no longer being in command. The covers by Tim Bradstreet are a plus, too.

• 5 weeks later...

Quarterly update time again!

Marvel, ongoing:

Daredevil

Invincible Iron Man

Journey into Mystery

Secret Avengers

Thunderbolts

Ultimate Comics X-Men

Venom

DC, ongoing:

All-Star Western

Animal Man

Batgirl

Batman (thus far living up to the hype)

Demon Knights

Frankenstein

Justice League Dark

Nightwing (a surprise addition that won't stay added if Eddy Barrows can't nail a monthly schedule)

OMAC

Superboy (so far the best of the Scott Lobdell triumvirate)

The Activity (Three cheers for non-superpowered indie books!)

Angel and Faith

Buffy Season 9

Dungeons & Dragons

Glamourpuss

Morning Glories

Near Death

Star Trek

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Atomic Robo: the Ghost of Station X

Locke and Key: Clockworks

Nonplayer (technically)

The Shade (pleasingly written by the lovable James Robinson who did Starman right, not the latter-day James Robinson who became just another lockstep JLA editor's puppet)

Spaceman (I'm surprised to like an Azzarello book, but it's got imaginative bits)

Dropped titles:

Dollhouse: Epitaphs -- Only a minseries, but I gave up halfway in because every issue was a forgettable combination of poor actor resemblances and recap failure.

Fear Itself: the Fearless -- I didn't think Fear Itself was all that dreadful, so I was midly curious about the extended epilogue at first. Then Fear Itself #7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 came out and gave me three great reasons to revise my opinion, retroactively revile the whole thing, and recuse myself from keeping tabs on it any further.

Firestorm the Nuclear Men -- When news spread even before #2's release that Gail Simone would be departing, I folded immediately. #1 didn't impress me nearly enough to wait and catch the fallout (so to speak).

Herc -- I gave up two issues before the finale because I couldn't take any more travesty.

Infinite Vacation -- Twenty years ago, if an antagonist were trying to out-reprehensible the reprehensible Governor from The Walking Dead, I might've hailed it as Book of the Year. Now? Really truly not my thing anymore. I miss out on a lot of Garth Ennis nowadays for much the same reason.

Resurrection Man -- My budget demanded that something among the New 52 had to give. Too bad for Abnett and Lanning that they love the Body Doubles far more than I ever will. Done after #2.

I've been buying the New 52 JLA* and JLI. I want to buy Action Comics, Batman and JLD, but they are always sold out. I'm told I should start a pull list, but sometimes I don't get back to the store for a couple months.

On the Marvel side I'm interested in the Ultimate Universe still, more than Marvel proper. However I wait for trades and even then I wait for my library to get them in.

Indy wise I really very much so like every free issue of Atomic Robo I get to read, but for some reason I never seek it out to purchase.

*There is a scene in New 52 JLA #2 where Hal Jordan outs Flash's identity and it's like the funniest thing I've read in a bit. Loved it. I hope they keep Hal stupid.

My fiance is the one that actually buys the comics, but I get to reap the benefits while not being subjected to the condescending "oh, you're a girl so you don't know crap about comics" attitude from our local comic shop grunts, so it works out well. The following list contains the comics / floppies / serials / whatever that we buy monthly / biweekly / as they come out. The ones marked with one star are ones Chris likes that I am not as interested in reading and the one's with two stars are ones I haven't picked up yet, but plan to:

American Vampire

Boys, The

Caligula

Crossed

Chew

Dark Tower

DMZ (just wrapped up last week, but including anyway)**

Fables

Fatale

Ferals

Hack / Slash

Infinite Vacation

iZombie

Jennifer Blood

Kick Ass 2

Pigs*

Space Man**

Stitched**

TMNT**

Walking Dead

Wheel of Time

New 52 comics:

All Star American Western**

Batman**

Dark Knight**

Detective Comics**

Swamp Thing*

Wonder Woman*

Right now here is what I get

DC:

Batman

Detective Comics

Nightwing

***Read there was a Batman Beyond comic starting this month plan to check it out

Marvel:

Uncanny X-Men

Amazing Spider-Man

Venom

***I'll be trying out Scarlet Spider and may go and start another XBook just don't know which yet

Independent

Wheel of Time

Just got back into collecting and am slowly adding to my monthly titles.

Cool - that's what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure. And I agree - those kinds of people suck. Our regular store has gotten less stuck-up towards me over the years, but only because they know I'm with Chris, who is a regular customer. I still don't get any respect as a fan of comics myself, though, and it really irks me.

Action Comics - The Morrison weirdness has begun after a fairly linear 4 issues of Superman's first month on the job, now we're getting into time travel and the non-linear

Superman - Arts' awesome, but after three issues was getting tired of the identical structure of the issues. #4 finally moved the plot along to the next stage and has my interest.

Supergirl - Has a fun mystery in place as to her arrival on Earth, and developing some interesting supporting characters.</p>

Superboy - Hasn't been this fun since the Kessel era

Wonder Woman - Azzarello and Chiang are creating a fun world here thematically and visually. This should be a Dark title, and not meant as an insult

Justice League - In it mostly for the art. Pretty by-the-numbers team origin tale, but I'll take the light read with Lee's art, which is sometimes hit or miss with me but I've really enjoyed him here. Johns needs to learn how to develop character traits without shoving it in your face so hard it stereotypes them. He's most guilty of this with his personal favorites too like Hal.

• 2 months later...

Quarterly update time again!

Marvel, ongoing:

Daredevil

Invincible Iron Man

Journey into Mystery

Thunderbolts (soon to become Dark Avengers, at which point it will be on immediate probation)

Venom

If Avengers vs. X-Men ruins any of these, I'm out.

DC, ongoing:

Animal Man

Batgirl

Batman

Demon Knights

Justice League Dark

Nightwing

It's worth noting that all of these DC titles except Demon Knights are heading into crossovers shortly and are therefore now on Triple Public Probation. One false move and I'm out.

Image, ongoing: (see what I did there?)

The Activity

Danger Club

Glory

Morning Glories

Near Death

Prophet

Saga

Angel and Faith

Buffy Season 9 (on probation)

Dungeons & Dragons (on hiatus?)

glamourpuss

Snarked

Supurbia

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Locke and Key: Clockworks (HURRY UP)

The Manhattan Projects

Nonplayer (still technically)

Rocketeer Adventures 2

The Shade

Spaceman

Dropped titles:

All-Star Western -- The art got sloppy, and I disliked paying an extra buck per issue just for the mediocre backups.

Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE -- The sheer weirdness of the cast carried me a certain distance, but Frankenstein himself is a one-note jerk.

OMAC -- Canceled with this week's #8, because DC readers hate characters who've never appeared on Underoos.

Secret Avengers -- Warren Ellis' arc ended, and the next issues after that didn't feel worth $3.99.

Star Trek -- I was mostly buying this because my son was curious about it. He got bored with it, and I disliked the decompressed writing.

Superboy -- Started off curiously enough, but lost my interest whenever Caitlin from Gen13 hogged the stage. No truly ill will toward it, but I'm cutting back on my monthly dosage of "meh".

Ultimate Comics X-Men - This wasn't bad when I thought it was a radical, standalone relaunch for new readers like me. When flashbacks to the previous series kicked in, I bailed in a heartbeat.

• 1 month later...

Update time! Though not much has changed

DC Ongoing:

Batman

Nightwing

Detective Comics

Marvel Ongoing: (ranked accordingly)

1.Scarlet Spider

1.Venom

1.Daredevil

--------- All 3 of these are amazing IMO. Scarlet Spider is just a badass in practice and I like where it is heading. Venom is well done with great stories and even better characters, and DD is prolly the most underrated comic right now.

2. Amazing Spider-Man --- Such a huge fan of Spidey, it's crazy I got him as 4th best comic in Marvel for me.

3. Uncanny X-Men --- Good, not great, but better than good but not quite great...

4. Deadpool --- I like it for the fun factor. May drop soon

5. Winter Solider --- Plan to drop unless #6 really grabs me

Other:

Thief of Thieves

Walking Dead

Stupid F'in crossovers!

Avengers v X-Men --- Grabbing the VS issues, as well as the round issues, and most of the tie ins.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.