Adventure Comics

Blackest Night: The Flash

Blackest Night: Wonder Woman

The Brave and the Bold

Doom Patrol

Jonah Hex

Invincible

The Unwritten

I'm gonna stick around and see if Levitz does any good work over in Adventure Comics. If he does, I'll keep on keepin' on with the title. Otherwise, I'll drop it like a hot potato.

Definitely gonna be checking out Levitz on Adventure.

Also thought about following a few series I don't normally follow during their Blackest Night tie-ins -- Outsiders and REBELS rose above the repetition to do different, creative things. I appreciate that.

Wish I could say the same about Marvel's Siege. I picked up Siege: the Cabal this week and really, really want to see what happens next, but I'm not crazy about supporting their four-dollar titles. One of the first tie-ins, Kieron Gillen's first issue of Thor -- out this week -- was pretty readable to me, especially since I'm not a Thor fan and Thor was hardly in it. Works for me!

How did everybody like Adventure Comics #5/508? I love me some Jerry Ordway, as well as Superboy Prime, so it was win-win, for me. I was a little disappointed to find that there was no Legion backup. It was Superboy, instead. But, I must say, that disappointment quickly vanished in the face of awesome art and a fantastic cliffhanger.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Marvel:

X-Factor

Dynamite:

Green Hornet

Now I'm up to two whole books a month! :D

And for nostalgia reasons, I'll soon be getting X-Factor Forever. Louise Simonson will be writing this five issue mini series picking up where her run on the book left off.

I'm past due for my quarterly update!

Marvel, ongoing:

Amazing Spider-Man

Astonishing X-Men

Deadpool

Deadpool Team-Up

Incredible Hercules (assuming this is only on event-based hiatus and not flat-out canceled)

Invincible Iron Man

Thor

Thunderbolts

DC, ongoing:

Batman & Robin

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps (undecided about whether or not to stick with these two after Blackest Night ends)

Secret Six

Other companies and imprints, ongoing:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8

Chew

Die Hard: Year One

Ex Machina

Glamourpuss

The Muppet Show

Solomon Kane: Death's Black Riders

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Blackest Night

Demo v. 2

Great Ten

Muppet King Arthur

Siege

S.W.O.R.D. (just waiting on that last issue)

Dropped since previous update:

The Incredibles (it's still Mark Waid, but being written down to children)

Hellblazer

Fantastic Four

Doom Patrol

Cyberforce/Hunter-Killer (one faux-Maxim cover too many)

Booster Gold (the Blue Beetle backups are gone, and they're taking me with 'em)

Archie (came to my senses)

Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic (canceled)

Possible additions in the immediate future:

Adventure Comics (once Levitz arrives)

Angel (if I can catch up on the trades quickly enough)

The Flash

I'm due for one of my ridiculously compulsive updates.

DC

Batman

Batman and Robin

Blackest Night

The Brave and the Bold

Doom Patrol (Keith Giffen is the dopest of the dope, but I was sad to see the Metal Men backup go.)

Jonah Hex

Justice Society of America (I'm sorta back-and-forth on this one. The last two-parter was fun, but I may just end up picking up the trades.)

Magog (Nope. Nope. Don't care what you say. This title's great, and I'll be sad to see its inevitable cancellation.)

Marvel

Amazing Spider-Man (It doesn't even hurt to admit it. Whether or not you liked BND--I hated it, personally--this is some quality work.)

Invincible Iron Man

Invincible

Vertigo

Hellblazer (I hopped onboard for the "India" arc because it looked entertaining. It was, and I'm giving the next arc a shot. If it doesn't do it for me, I'm out.)

The Unwritten

• 2 months later...

I'm way past due for yet another one of my obsessive compulsive change-ups:

Invincible

Captain America

Invincible Iron Man

Batman

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman and Robin

Booster Gold

The Brave and the Bold

Brightest Day

Doom Patrol

Jonah Hex

Justice League: Generation Lost

Magog

I've had some changes, but it's only been two months since my last update, so I'm gonna force myself to hold off a little longer, so I can maybe shorten my list even more.

Booster Gold

Justice League: Generation Lost

I was thiiis close to picking those up, but this week was just too heavy on the budget. I ended up going in an unexpected direction and sacrificed both so I could afford to pick up the New Avengers Finale instead. I'm a sucker for ends of eras, and it's been a long time since I picked up anything with Bryan Hitch in it.

I'm thinking about trimming my pull list down to six or seven books a month. Here are the titles I plan to keep:

Green Lantern

The Flash

Batman & Robin

One of the Superman books

The Amazing Spider-Man

One of the Avengers books, possibly two (whatever Bendis writes)

EDIT: Add Legion of Super Heroes to the list. Blame Paul Levitz returning to writing the book. *sigh*)

I'll offer my selections too.

Marvel

Stephen King's The Dark Tower & The Stand

DC

Batgirl

Power Woman (dropping next month with the change in writer and artist)

Added this month: Birds of Prey

Dark Horse

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8

Conan

Dynamite

Army of Darkness

Green Hornet (now 3 different takes on the character - Brett Matthews, Kevin Smith and Matt Wagner)

Buck Rogers

Red Sonja

IDW

Angel

Star Trek

The Walking Dead

Zenescope

Grimm Fairy Tales

Infrequent publications or limited series

Dynamite: Brett Matthew's The Lone Ranger

Dynamite: Battlestar Galactica (awaiting publication of Galactica 1981 as follow-up to their Galactica 1980)

Dark Horse: R.E. Howard's Solomon Kane

DC: First Wave & spin-off's

DC: Supernatural Beginning's End

Image: Frank Frazetta's...

Zenescope: Neverland

• 3 weeks later...

Close enough to time for another quarterly update, especially after a major shift in my budgetary paradigm. Now that I've set myself on a fixed weekly dollar budget, now that Marvel is raising most of its prices to the same levels as many indie companies that I've been avoiding, and now that DC's just losing me in all kinds of ways...my reading patterns have shifted a bit.

Marvel, ongoing:

Amazing Spider-Man

Deadpool

Invincible Iron Man

Iron Man: Legacy

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Thor

Thunderbolts

Web of Spider-Man

DC, ongoing:

Secret Six

The Spirit

Angel

Chew

Ex Machina (just one issue to go!)

Glamourpuss

Hellblazer (I keep trying to quit, but Peter Milligan keeps pulling me back in)

The Muppet Show

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Angel: Barbary Coast

Atomic Robo: Revenge of the Vampire Dimension

Great Ten

Heroic Age: Prince of Power

Locke and Key: Crown of Shadows

Peter Parker

Star Trek: Leonard McCoy, Frontier Doctor

Terminator: 2029

I haven't collected so few DC titles since my first year of collecting at age 6. I'll probably check out Action Comics when Paul Cornell takes over, but beyond that...I don't share their 1980s fetish. I'm fed up with trying to read Grant Morrison's mind. I don't get their rule that every story arc must begin with old characters being brutally murdered. And I really do miss the days of expository dialogue and of characters who actually say each other's names -- y'know, devices from back in the day when new readers were encouraged to try out a new series without having to sit through several WikiPedia study sessions to catch up on continuity first.

• 2 months later...

I've been away for a while again. Moving into a new apartment.

Here's what I've been digging on:

Adventure Comics

Batman and Robin

Booster Gold

The Brave and the Bold

Doom Patrol

Jonah Hex

Avengers Academy

Casanova

Invincible Iron Man

Invincible

Morning Glories

Northlanders

Locke and Key: Keys to the Kingdom

I haven't collected so few DC titles since my first year of collecting at age 6. I'll probably check out Action Comics when Paul Cornell takes over, but beyond that...I don't share their 1980s fetish. I'm fed up with trying to read Grant Morrison's mind. I don't get their rule that every story arc must begin with old characters being brutally murdered. And I really do miss the days of expository dialogue and of characters who actually say each other's names -- y'know, devices from back in the day when new readers were encouraged to try out a new series without having to sit through several WikiPedia study sessions to catch up on continuity first.

While I don't entirely agree with the Grant Morrison crack, I will admit that his Batman mega-saga is starting to wear me down. I don't know if I'm gonna delve into Batman, Inc. when it becomes a monthly, simply because I've come to appreciate Dick Grayson as Batman instead of Bruce Wayne. He's just so much nicer.

Has it been three months already? Time for a quarterly update!

Marvel, ongoing:

Amazing Spider-Man

Deadpool

Invincible Iron Man

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Thor

Thor: the Mighty Avenger

Thunderbolts

Web of Spider-Man

DC, ongoing:

Action Comics

Secret Six

The Spirit

Superman

Zatanna

Angel

Chew

Dungeons & Dragons

Glamourpuss

Hellblazer

The Muppet Show

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Hercules: Twilight of a God

Heroic Age: Prince of Power

Meta 4

Spike: the Devil You Know

Welcome to Tranquility: One Foot in the Grave

DC's recent changes in Superman personnel has my attention for now. Paul Cornell's Luthor is creative and a little loony, whereas JMS' old-fashioned Superman is like a pair of fuzzy slippers -- you might not want them around perennially, but they're nice for a comfy change of pace. It's also interesting to see Eddy Barrows grow as an artist, compared to his rough start as a 52 helper...though his key to improvement seems to be in imitating Bryan Hitch. He could've picked plenty worse, so I'll allow for it.

Also looking forward to what John Rogers (cocreator of Jaime Reyes!) and what he can do with IDW's D&D comic. The zero issue was shaky, but I liked the glimmer of possibility it showed, especially the part where he doesn't plan to take it funereally like most other sword-'n'-sorcery comics.

• 3 months later...

Dracula: The Company of Monsters

Batman and Robin

Booster Gold

The Brave and the Bold

Doom Patrol

Jonah Hex

Superboy

Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom

Invincible

Avengers Academy

Invincible Iron Man

And now for general observations...

Lemire's Superboy is fun and refreshing. Neither Booster Gold nor Doom Patrol get the amount of readers they deserve. Jonah Hex, in spite of abysmal filmic adaptations, is still the most consistent book on the stands today, as far as I'm concerned. Dracula: The Company of Monsters is a fun and interesting little horror romp with quirky, fun art and solid storytelling with an interesting take on the Dracula legend that's more Vlad Tepes than Stoker.

Quarterly update again!

Marvel, ongoing:

Deadpool

Invincible Iron Man

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Thor: the Mighty Avenger

Thunderbolts

DC, ongoing:

Action Comics

Secret Six

Angel

Chew

Dungeons & Dragons

Glamourpuss

Morning Glories

The Muppet Show

The Unwritten

Miniseries:

Angel: Illyria: Haunted

Ant-Man & Wasp

Atomic Robo: the Deadly Art of Science

Chaos War

Meta 4

Spike: the Devil You Know

Strange Tales II

Warriors Three

I'm not consciously trying to withdraw from super-heroes, but that end of the list sure keeps shrinking on me...

That's okay. I can do this over.

DC Comics

Superman

Batman

Batman, Inc.

Batman: The Dark Knight (when it comes out)

Green Lantern

The Flash

Justice League of America

Adventure Comics

Legion of Super Heroes

DC Comics Mini-Series

Brightest Day

DC Universe Legacies

Marvel Comics

Amazing Spider-Man

Avengers

New Avengers

Secret Avengers

Reign of Doomsday can't get here fast enough as far as I'm concerned. I'm not into villain-centered books so no matter how good I hear it is I can't get on board with Lex on Action, and I dont' think I've ever been more bored with a comic than I have been with Grounded in Superman. Preachy, hamfisted, and Superman's written like a dickwad. So I look forward to Reign of Doomsday to hopefully put an end to the bore-fest of Grounded, and also get Superman back in Action comics (which I'm guessing will happen in Action #900, which I think will be the still-secret final part to the Doomsday storyline). But for the present, no Superman for me right now and that sucks.

Yeah, "Grounded" has left much to be desired. The only reason I'm buying Superman right now is that it's the only comic out there currently with Superman as the main character. I'm buying it, more or less, out of obligation. They need to put Geoff Johns and Gary Frank back on Action. That was a team Superman deserved. I wouldn't mind seeing Dan Jurgens come back to Superman, either.

Yeah...I was wary of the storyline from the start as I think we discussed at the time, but I still thought it was going to be more than this. Then you put on top of that delays, "interlude" issues, and now JMS leaving the book, it just amazes me the half-assed job the editors are doing with this characters. Maybe if DC didn't have all their attention on their thirty Batman books, I dunno (love Batman, but damn, Batbooks take up half DC's solicit pages anymore). Anywho, I was thinking it might be kinda cool if Sterling Gates got a shot at writing Superman soon, considering they forced him off Supergirl for some reason that only they know, and I thought Supergirl has been the best Super-book in publication since he's been writing it.

I'm actually pretty disgusted at how DC's been treating Superman for the last decade or so. As I mentioned earlier, Geoff Johns' and Gary Frank's all-too-brief run on Action Comics was a beacon of hope, but now Superman is being shoved to the back of the shelf again. You would think DC would pick the best of the best for their flagship character and treat him with the utmost respect. I want to see a confident Superman lead the DC Universe again and stop all this pussyfooting around! And don't even get me started about JMS' Superman: Earth One.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.