Jedi and Sith Power Rankings

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

On Screen

1. Anakin Skywalker's unfulfilled potential=Luke Skywalker's theoretical potential

2. The Emperor/Darth Sidious

3. Yoda ROTS and before

4. Luke Skywalker (ROTJ): Defeated Vader, and succeeded where other Jedi failed with only less than a year of formal training.

5. Darth Vader: ANH-ROTJ-height of his power, and was roughly 80% of the Emperor.

6. Yoda (post ROTS): Must have gotten weaker by OT due to Dark Side dominance of the force after Order 66. Lost to Darth Sidious and if he could have taken (post cyborg) Darth Vader out, he would have.

7. Anakin in ROTS as pre-Cyborg Darth Vader.

8. Mace Windu: Sidious was toying with him in ROTS, IMHO.

9. Count Dooku\Darth Tyranus: May actually be equal to Mace.

10. Obi Wan Kenobi in ROTS: would have ranked higher, but Dooku owned him in both AOTC and ROTS, yet he defeats Anakin. Go Figure. I chalk that up to Anakin\Vader subconsciously wanting to be defeated more than Obi Wan being more powerful than Anakin.

11. Darth Maul

12. Qui-Gon Jinn

13. Luke Skywalker in TESB

14. Obi Wan in ANH

*I don't know EU power levels, especially post-ROTJ, so I will not try to rank them. If you do, include them on your list. :)

Guest El Chalupacabra

I am not stating a fact, just my opinion. :)

To be fair, I think neither gained a clear or decisive advantage over the other, until the end when the Emperor had the higher ground. The fight could have actually gone either way, but since Yoda retreated and never returned for a rematch, I listed the Emperor as more powerful.

How would you rank them all?

To be fair, I think neither gained a clear or decisive advantage over the other, until the end when the Emperor had the higher ground. The fight could have actually gone either way, but since Yoda retreated and never returned for a rematch, I listed the Emperor as more powerful.

Yoda was out of time and injured from the fall. He was pushing Sid back at the end of the fight and the only reason he lost was due to the Force blowout (or whatever it is when two Force users get repelled). Yoda was on the side of the pod and Sid was still in it, that's why he fell. That was really the only chance Yoda had, as after that trying to get that close to Palpatine a second time would have been useless.

How would you rank them all?

Going by each character's best:

Yoda

Sidious

Anakin

Luke

Mace

Dooku

Obi-Wan

Maul

Qui-Gon

Yoda was shown to be more intelligent in the fight, and in some cases more powerful. He was the better adversary until he falls at the end (whether a result of his carelessness in the heat of the moment or just bad luck). It's reasonable to assume he would have gained the upper hand. This is why Palpatine was shown panicking, trying to escape and relying on the stormtroopers to get Yoda. Not that the Emperor isn't powerful, but he was clearly having a rough time. The movie went out of its way to show him getting extremely pissed at a ridiculously unstoppable Yoda during the ludicrous swordfight portion (and he eventually ditches his saber, likely a result of Yoda's apparent upper hand), stupidly cackling and unable to deflect the frisbee Yoda rotates and hurls back at him, then panicking when he retreats and finally in pain when Yoda reflects his force lightning back at him. Even when Yoda falls, Emperor is holding on for his own life on the balcony. The Emperor was also the one to move the fight into the senate on balconies and things at an unsafe altitude like 400 feet in the air as opposed to a room. Yoda had him retreating the whole way.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I interpret the fight a little differently. Yoda did put a good fight. I am not claiming he got his ass whooped. And yeah, the Emperor did act cowardly and ran, but was it because he was less powerful, or was it because that is the nature of evil when confronted by good~ even if the evil one has an advantage?

Anyway, maybe this is an overly elaborate theory, but here is my attempt at an explanation...

Yoda was more powerful than the Emperor technically, at least when the Force is in balance or when the Force is tipped in favor of the light side, like at the start of the PT. At the beginning of the PT, there were only 2 known sith yet thousands of Jedi. I think the Force is like the yin and Yang, and goes in cycles, alternating between Light and Dark dominance. Therefore at that time, the Jedi were on top, and at that time if the emperor and yoda went 1 on 1, Yoda would win.

But when Palpatine caused the clone wars, the balance was disrupted, and the force began to tip in favor of the dark side. even Yoda and Mace said as much, when they said the force had "become shrouded." So, by the final duel, Palpatine was the more powerful~through the dark side gaining dominance. Basically, Yoda lost due to the will of the force, and therefore, no matter how much skill or experience a 900 year old Yoda has over Palpatine, he is not capable of winning. Hence, why I think Palpatine is more powerful post-Order 66.

Again, that is my interpretation. I have not read anything by G. Lucas that disputes it, so it is as valid an idea as yours, I think.

Yoda was more powerful than the Emperor technically, at least when the Force is in balance or when the Force is tipped in favor of the light side, like at the start of the PT. At the beginning of the PT, there were only 2 known sith yet thousands of Jedi. I think the Force is like the yin and Yang, and goes in cycles, alternating between Light and Dark dominance.

Actually, according to George Lucas, this view of the Force is incorrect. Not only is it an out-of-universe misconception, but an in-universe one as well.

The Force is, by nature, good. Therefore, the light side is the Force's true nature. The dark side is a perversion of the Force, or misapplication. The Force is in balance when the light side (the Force's natural manifestation) is dominant and the dark side (the corruption) is not influential. When the Sith were destroyed a thousand years ago, it allowed for the Jedi to grow complacent thinking that the dark side no longer threatened the galaxy. In the meantime, the Sith had survived and were perfecting their arts in secret under the Rule of Two, tipping the balance in their favor as the cancer that is the dark side drew the power of the Force away from the irresponsible Jedi and gained power with the Sith. Finally, when their command of the Force seemed definite, and when the Jedi's connection to it seemed watered down enough, they put their final plans into action and overthrew the Jedi relatively easily and regained control of the galaxy, practically from right under the Jedi's noses.

It was when the Sith were finally destroyed that the Force was brought back into balance, as their monopoly over the dark side and its dominance was finally cut off, allowing the pureness of the light side of the Force to right itself. Sure, the dark side would never be destroyed completely and any Force user would always be free to go down the dark path, but its prominence had been undone, and it no longer hoarded the power of the Force itself.

Think of the dark side as a cancer and you'll have the right idea. The Force is not comprised of two equal parts, it is good by nature but can also be misused. The fact that the Jedi had forgotten this and adopted the two-halves theory themselves helped lead to their downfall. Really, even they did not realize what "balance" entailed, even though they knew from the prophecy that the Sith must be destroyed in order for it to happen. I can only imagine their confusion as this would not make much sense under the equal-halves theory.

"A prophecy that misread, could have been."

Darth Maul is the Ultimate Baddass. his power ranking being OVER 9000!!!!

Obi didn't have a chance and would have chased his saber down into the abyss if Maul hadn't gotten cocky and let his guard down.

Anakin MIGHT have had a chance against Maul using the Dark Side, but not in the Vader suit.

Reasons why Maul was no ultimate badass:

1. Qui-Gon gives him a pimp backhanded punch, knocking Maul several stories down.

2. Obi-Wan drives Maul back, cuts his oh-so-deadly 2-bladed saber in half, kicks him to the floor, and moments later was driving Maul toward the force field. Kenobi's brief flirtation with the Dark allowed the moment for Maul to use the Force push.

3. To top it all off, Maul proved he was the King of all Dumbass Sith right after Mr. Anakin leaps-at-Kenobi-affter-being-warned-against-it Skywalker, by taunting Kenobi while the Jedi was hanging in the pit. Underestimating an opponent (particularly one who--only moments before--was handing Maul his own ass) is pretty dumb, not badass.

1. Qui-Gon gives him a pimp backhanded punch, knocking Maul several stories down.

2. Obi-Wan drives Maul back, cuts his oh-so-deadly 2-bladed saber in half, kicks him to the floor, and moments later was driving Maul toward the force field. Kenobi's brief flirtation with the Dark allowed the moment for Maul to use the Force push.

3. To top it all off, Maul proved he was the King of all Dumbass Sith right after Mr. Anakin leaps-at-Kenobi-affter-being-warned-against-it Skywalker, by taunting Kenobi while the Jedi was hanging in the pit. Underestimating an opponent (particularly one who--only moments before--was handing Maul his own ass) is pretty dumb, not badass.

1. yeah well, even Luke got in a lucky shot now and then. :p and Maul just flipped right back up on his feet, grinned, and commenced with teh slashin.

2. Obi cheated by tapping into the Dark Side, cut Maul's saber in half, and STILL got his crakka butt face-palmed down a trash chute.

3. like i said, if Maul hadn't gotten cocky Obi-wan would be at the bottom of that chasm with his lightsaber. Every Sith apart including Palpatine has gotten pwnd eventually, but Maul would've been the top dawg.

also, considering Maul was really a noob when it comes to dueling. For all we know that scrap on Tatooine was his first real fight. (i guarantee Palpy never gave Maul the ass-kicking he could have in training. Sith ruthlessness aside, he's not going to dice up the first potential Sith successor in the Force knows how long.) give him as much field experience as Lil Ani and you don't need no stinking Clone Army. Maul was so awesome they had to give us an old geezer and a carton-a-day robot next so that Vader wouldn't seem like such a sissy.

Also, Maul got "Duel of the Fates" for a theme = bestest Sith evar. i rest my case.

Yoda was more powerful than the Emperor technically, at least when the Force is in balance or when the Force is tipped in favor of the light side, like at the start of the PT. At the beginning of the PT, there were only 2 known sith yet thousands of Jedi. I think the Force is like the yin and Yang, and goes in cycles, alternating between Light and Dark dominance.

Actually, according to George Lucas, this view of the Force is incorrect. Not only is it an out-of-universe misconception, but an in-universe one as well.

The Force is, by nature, good. Therefore, the light side is the Force's true nature. The dark side is a perversion of the Force, or misapplication. The Force is in balance when the light side (the Force's natural manifestation) is dominant and the dark side (the corruption) is not influential. When the Sith were destroyed a thousand years ago, it allowed for the Jedi to grow complacent thinking that the dark side no longer threatened the galaxy. In the meantime, the Sith had survived and were perfecting their arts in secret under the Rule of Two, tipping the balance in their favor as the cancer that is the dark side drew the power of the Force away from the irresponsible Jedi and gained power with the Sith. Finally, when their command of the Force seemed definite, and when the Jedi's connection to it seemed watered down enough, they put their final plans into action and overthrew the Jedi relatively easily and regained control of the galaxy, practically from right under the Jedi's noses.

It was when the Sith were finally destroyed that the Force was brought back into balance, as their monopoly over the dark side and its dominance was finally cut off, allowing the pureness of the light side of the Force to right itself. Sure, the dark side would never be destroyed completely and any Force user would always be free to go down the dark path, but its prominence had been undone, and it no longer hoarded the power of the Force itself.

Think of the dark side as a cancer and you'll have the right idea. The Force is not comprised of two equal parts, it is good by nature but can also be misused. The fact that the Jedi had forgotten this and adopted the two-halves theory themselves helped lead to their downfall. Really, even they did not realize what "balance" entailed, even though they knew from the prophecy that the Sith must be destroyed in order for it to happen. I can only imagine their confusion as this would not make much sense under the equal-halves theory.

"A prophecy that misread, could have been."

Homeostasis

• 3 weeks later...
1. yeah well, even Luke got in a lucky shot now and then. :p and Maul just flipped right back up on his feet, grinned, and commenced with teh slashin.

2. Obi cheated by tapping into the Dark Side, cut Maul's saber in half, and STILL got his crakka butt face-palmed down a trash chute.

Can we say he tapped into it throughout the final duel--or, do we chalk most of it up to GL attempting to establish Obi-Wan as powerful Jedi or remarkable talent to set up/justfiy the rest of his prequels appearances and overall reputation?

also, considering Maul was really a noob when it comes to dueling. For all we know that scrap on Tatooine was his first real fight. (i guarantee Palpy never gave Maul the ass-kicking he could have in training. Sith ruthlessness aside, he's not going to dice up the first potential Sith successor in the Force knows how long.) give him as much field experience as Lil Ani and you don't need no stinking Clone Army. Maul was so awesome they had to give us an old geezer and a carton-a-day robot next so that Vader wouldn't seem like such a sissy.

I would say the Jedi were just as "green" (so to speak) regarding the specifc experience of dueling to the death. Remember, in TPM, the Jedi had not faced a Sith (the most likely candidate to use a lightsaber) in 1000 years, so Maul, Obi-Wan, and Jinn were on equal ground. Kenobi being victorious as a padawan with such a lack of experience sells some of the legendary status his character has in the bigger picture of the saga.

Also, Maul got "Duel of the Fates" for a theme = bestest Sith evar. i rest my case.

Eh. The Imperial March (aka Darth Vader's theme) owns Duel of the Fates; i'm not saying DotF is not a great piece, but The Imperial March sold personal evil or a corrupt government like few scores in film history.

Can we say he tapped into it throughout the final duel--or, do we chalk most of it up to GL attempting to establish Obi-Wan as powerful Jedi or remarkable talent to set up/justfiy the rest of his prequels appearances and overall reputation?

just look at his expression; he at least had a toe or two dipped in the deep end.

I would say the Jedi were just as "green" (so to speak) regarding the specifc experience of dueling to the death. Remember, in TPM, the Jedi had not faced a Sith (the most likely candidate to use a lightsaber) in 1000 years, so Maul, Obi-Wan, and Jinn were on equal ground. Kenobi being victorious as a padawan with such a lack of experience sells some of the legendary status his character has in the bigger picture of the saga.

fair enough.

Eh. The Imperial March (aka Darth Vader's theme) owns Duel of the Fates; i'm not saying DotF is not a great piece, but The Imperial March sold personal evil or a corrupt government like few scores in film history.

i'd have to call it a tie. they both get the pulse up in different ways, but in terms of energy Duel of the Fates has the edge. . Imperial March is awesome, but it just doesn't fuel a dozen rounds of broom-handle bashing like Duel of the Fates does.

don't we have a SW soundtrack thread somewhere yet? debating and comparing the various themes could easily fill a few pages.

• 4 years later...
Guest DarthRayj

1. yeah well, even Luke got in a lucky shot now and then. and Maul just flipped right back up on his feet, grinned, and commenced with teh slashin.

3. like i said, if Maul hadn't gotten cocky Obi-wan would be at the bottom of that chasm with his lightsaber. Every Sith apart including Palpatine has gotten pwnd eventually, but Maul would've been the top dawg.

Just so you know, Darth Maul was dueling them after completing another job for Sidious and killing an entire ship of Bartokk assassins on his way to Tatooine, he was tired and injured, and he still killed a Jedi Master who was probably in the top five duelists of the Jedi Order at the time. He had been trained extensively in dueling by Sidious, and ruthlessly honed to physical prowess. Sidious wasn't careful with him, he knew Anakin was coming to replace Maul soon since Sidious probably helped create Anakin. If Maul hadn't let his guard down or if he had been at his best, I guarantee neither Obi-Wan nor Qui-Gon would have made it through the fight.

YEAH!

+1!!!

I missed this nerd bait initially. I think that all of these rankings are flawed because they are attributing all Jedi skills as one.

Lightsaber skill, general physical agility/force oneness, precognition and ability to tap into the force are seen as very different things despite being common to force-users. I think you have to take them all into consideration.

Example-- in ANH Vader clearly outmatches Obi-Wan in most ways-- but you don't see him becoming one with the force and maintaining his consciousness. Similarly, in ESB Vader beats Luke down in every way, but is unable to temp him with the darkside.

• 2 months later...

I missed this nerd bait initially. I think that all of these rankings are flawed because they are attributing all Jedi skills as one.

Lightsaber skill, general physical agility/force oneness, precognition and ability to tap into the force are seen as very different things despite being common to force-users. I think you have to take them all into consideration.

Example-- in ANH Vader clearly outmatches Obi-Wan in most ways-- but you don't see him becoming one with the force and maintaining his consciousness. Similarly, in ESB Vader beats Luke down in every way, but is unable to temp him with the darkside.

In the same vein, Luke defeats the Emperor in ROTJ - not with force skills directly, where he'd be no match, but turns Vader good. At times, there's more philosophical depth to SW than is readily apparent.

• 4 months later...

Top Ten Power Rankings: Career Mode

1). Darth Sidious. Held the galaxy by the balls. A company man. Rags to riches. Really loves his job. A bit of a task master.

2). Yoda. Catches force lightning and probably would eat it if you asked him to. Great with the kids. Good sense of humor.

3). Darth Tyrannus. His ability to throw rocks is second to none. Plus he can cast lightning, too. Possesses a keen fashion sense.

4). Obi-Wan. Very creative with the force. Why throw rocks when you can use it to employ stealth, subterfuge, mind control? Winning!

5). Anakin/Vader. His...ahem...career was cut short. He tends to throw a lot of metal around and choke people when angry.

6). Luke. A late bloomer for sure, but performs brilliantly under pressure. Great guy too. I'd let him have my sister if he wanted.

7). Qui-Gon. The gold standard for any Jedi master. Favors mind control. Rumored to have a drinking problem.

8). Darth Maul. Not very imaginative, but can force push with the best of them. A great dancer who excels at jazz, ballet, and hip-hop.

9). Mace Windu. Overrated. Reputed to be a powerful Jedi master, but is rarely seen using the force. Or doing...anything.

10). Kit Fisto. Bullied as a kid, this Jedi deserves a spot on the list. He's apparently very popular with the ladies. Must be the tentacles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.