Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Disney buys Marvel

194 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I brought this up with a friend and was reminded that Mighty Mouse would stomp a mudhole in Mickey's ASS. Which I think is an excellent point. :drool:

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Danger Mouse beats them all. ;)

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,651 posts

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
You just kicked my childhood in the nads.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• Members
  • 11,651 posts
Now its time for cake!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
LMFAO! Never even heard of Danger Mouse, by the way. But I have a feeling he'd bend over like a bitch if Underdog showed up. :drool:

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts

Danger Mouse is the James Bond of anthropomorphic heroes.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
We should have a best mouse poll.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
I agree, we should! And I nominate RC since his polls are the funniest. :drool:

Danger Mouse has an eyepatch so he automatically takes a level in badass. LMFAO

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
I was just reading about The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made in amidst all the D23 Expo stuff and I realized that now there's the potential for a Marvel Comics and the Muppets to have property crossover. Even a whole Marvel Comics based Muppet movie wouldn't be out of the question...

X-Muppets: Kermit the Frog as Cyclops; Ms. Piggy as Jean Gray/Marvel Girl; Fozzie Bear as The Beast; Gonzo the Great as Iceman; Bunsen Honeydew as Professor X;

Thor: the Swedish Chef as Thor (just think about it) might work best as a short, or in an Avengers based Muppet movie.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Speaking of Disney's answer to Comic Con, did you attend it? Does Comic Con have anything to be afraid of?

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
I don't know -- I was just browsing through all the reaveled info that ComingSoon had posted. I doubt it'll faze Comic-Con though, judging from the articles D23 seemed entirely centered around Disney.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I think they can coexist although if this continues to become an ongoing trend, the company may just forgo attending Comic Con altogether which may mean no Marvel Comics presence.

As a stockholder, I'm pretty happy with the decisions that the company has made over the last year. From bringing in Spielberg & DreamWorks to the acquisition of Marvel Comics and the expansion of Fantasyland* as well as the upgrade for Star Tours, it sounds like Disney has finally stepped out of the shadows of the Eisner era and moving out into the 21st Century.

Thanks J.K. Rowling!*

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
Over the last few years of reading first hand accounts from people who have attended SDCC [some who have attended for years] the Con has gotten massively huge. I've even seen people that live in and around the San Diego area comment on how difficult it could be for them to attend much less those who travel across the US and the world.

For all the sorts of things that get shown at Comic Con it's probably best that there is another event somewhere & somewhen else in the country to give companies more opportunities to show their wares AND more opportunities for average Joes to attend such events.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Universal Studios has the rights to theme park Potter. So what does Rowling have to to with Disney's Fantasyland?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I figured it would be obvious..

If Rowling hadn't licensed Harry Potter to Universal, Disney never would have invested in the Fantasyland expansion.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I don't believe the two correlate. These things takes years if not half a decade to plan out, my wife works for an engineering/design firm and it is always surprising how far in advance to any sort of construction these types of projects have been planned out. Fantasyland has been in need of a face lift. It is more likely that Disney was in the planning stages for reworking Fantasyland at the same time Universal became interested in a Harry Potter theme possibility.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
You don't know how Disney works then. They're about ready to have their dominance in the area challenged for the first time since both parks occupied the area. Disney would have never considered a project of size in an already existing park of it's size and age if it wasn't for the looming threat of Harry Potter at Universal.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Okay. Whatever then.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Well you wanted to argue the facts. Having friends in management and having an invested interest in the company gets me in the know and I've known for a while that they were getting intimidated by Universal's Potter plans.

Fantasyland was rumored to be part of their plans for a while but so was an expansion of Hollywood Studios to make it more Pixar/Lucasfilm centric as well. There was also a Night Kingdom idea that would be similar to the Disney Institute but more of a niche park where people would pay $200 a ticket to have the park to themselves at night and do cave spelunking or scuba diving or whatever the park had to offer. That was part of the reason why Pleasure Island was closed down last year because management had plans to make this the counter for Harry Potter but the recession killed the project because of how much a specialty the idea was, the price of tickets, and the park at minimum would cost $350M to build.

Edited by Wally Q, 18 September 2009 - 12:16 AM.

Reply to this topic