Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Disney buys Marvel

194 replies to this topic

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

Another thing that scares me is that far fewer companies are controlling more of our entertainment. I preferred a Marvel of a bunch of ragtag hippies in a Manhattan office building. Now they're just a bunch of corporate drones toeing the company line.

Sadly, Marvel has LONG been controlled by suits. Not on the creative side, sure, but on the business side.... :(

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,503 posts
But Marvel has been part of a conglomerate for over a decade. They haven't been a bunch of hippies in Manhatten since they went Bankrupt. They've been a billion dollar corporation for years. I agree Disney can be a freaky scary ass company (I should know, their studio lot property edges closer and closer to my apartment every year) that does some questionable stuff. The direction the Muppets have taken has less to do with Disney, and more to do with Jim Henson being dead in my opinion.

If Marvel were a faltering company, surrounded by poor booksales an failing films, you might be onto something. But they aren't, they're doing astonishingly well. This isn't Disney buying a once great set of IPs to rebuild in their image to reap the benefits, this about them buying in while they can afford it and reaping said benefits. Marvel clearly isn't broke, so they aren't going to fix it.

I don't like us boilding things down to 3 major companies that own everything either, but to say this deal is going to instantly destroy Marvel comics is silly.

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
that's what i said! only you put it better. ;)

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
Yeah.

Disney is evil, for sure, but if they buy a company that is successful, they pretty much leave that company alone. They don't take over creative control of the company unless they acquire a failing one. And Marvel is anything but failing.

I too don't like the idea of all the entertainment being concentrated into the hands of just a few companies.

But, how cool would a Pixar-made Spider-Man or X-Men film be? :thumbsup:

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
It's really weird for me to hear myself saying this, but I don't want a Pixar / Marvel movie. I love both companies and their universes dearly, but I want them to remain separate entities.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I LOL at the Disney is evil stuff and Disney will ruin Marvel stuff. It's in Disney's best interests for Marvel to continue to succeed. Disney is no different than any other studio in their "evilness". Yes, Disney has been unkind to creators... but what is that I hear over at the WB? Oh yeah, a fight over Superman. This is business.

Also:

I want to see The Fantastic Four meet The Incredibles YESTERDAY.

I want to see Marvel rides, events and exhibits at Disney theme parks RIGHT NOW.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,746 posts

everyone go over to CBR and read the details and stop wigging out already.

Not while I'm at work, I'm not, unless they've raised the content standards on their banner ads. Some of the half-nekkid cheesecake nearly got me in hot water here.

So it's back to wigging out for me. AAAH! PANIC IN THE GUTTERS! SAY HI TO KITTY PRYDE, DISNEY PRINCESS! AAAAH!

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
he's just social network whoring his company. you wouldn't catch me doing that...

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,503 posts
Some bullet points from the not-child-friendly website I work for part time that won an eisner for comic news that I generally only mention in the comics forum:

* Existing licensing and distribution deals should remain where they are.
* Disney believes there’s real opportunity with the Marvel catalog of characters and will work on where those opportunities are greatest and how best to leverage them across the existing Marvel and Disney infrastructure.
* Disney executives went to great lengths during the call to make the point that they don’t pretend to be more expert than Marvel is in handling their characters, citing the hands-off relationship Disney has had with Pixar since the acquisition of that studio. Disney said Marvel manages the properties from a business perspective very intelligently and trusts them to make the right decisions for these products for a long time to come.
* Disney said the deal was attractive not just because they’re buying great characters, stories and brand, but about working with people who know these characters best and how best to work with them in other media.
* Again, referencing the Pixar deal, Disney finds working as one company with Marvel removes friction and creates value that’s very compelling. Licensing offers very attractive opportunities, but nothing is better than being one. International expansion of Marvel properties through Disney was cited as a potential growth area.
* Cable channel Disney XD is currently running about 20 hours a week of Marvel content and Disney has been looking to license more Marvel content and this deal gives them that opportunity as well as the opportunity to expose these characters internationally.<.li>
* With regards to video game publishing, Disney praised Marvel’s licensing agreements with some of the best video game producers and publishers in the business and said moving forward they will consider what’s best for each individual property as each licensing deal comes up for renewal and that there would likely be a blend of licensed and self-produced/self-distributed titles.
* With respect to Paramount’s distribution deal with Marvel and the Iron Man franchise, Disney has every intention to respect the deal that’s in place, but noted that it’s in their best interest, overtime, to become the sole distributor of Marvel films.
* Will Disney3D be used for Marvel movies? That will be determined by those who are in charge of producing Marvel’s theatrical films.
* When asked if there was potential for cross-polination between Marvel and Pixar, Disney said that Pixar’s John Lasseter has met with key Marvel creative executives recently and the group got “pretty excited, very fast.” Disney will look at all opportunities and thinks there are some exciting product that could come from this sort of partnership.
* Disney said this deal is expected to benefit Marvel’s retail efforts, being able to leverage Disney’s shelf space and relationships with major chains and distributors.
* The deal began when Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger reached out to Marvel Chief Executive Ike Perlmutter earlier this year. Again, Disney noted that they believe in the creative team at Marvel and see no reason to upset that applecart.
* Disney has not made any real estate decisions and sees no reason to move Marvel Studios from their headquarters in Manhattan Beach, California. No mention of Marvel Publishing’s offices in New York City was made.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,236 posts
Bendis just killed off Wasp so he could replace her with Tinkerbell.

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
i was more talking about the fact that you rarely do it and it's all i've been doing for the last week, but awesome. my sig still stands. ;)

well that's encouraging and totally backs up the opinion i formed with minimal research. :thumbsup:

i also want to know what john lasseter's excited about.

Justus

Justus

• 13,061 posts
Hey Tank, reading through the points, I did not notice anything about the distribution status of the Marvel cartoons still owned by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, such as the 1966 Marvel Superheroes cartoon, or the '67 Spider-Man (the latter was released as a DVD box set around 5 years ago). Marvel Superheroes has been splintered time and again, and released as character-centered DVDs on Region 2, but nothing for North America as of this date, so I wonder if we will finally get a proper MSH set?

I also wonder if Disney will attempt to buy the 60s Fantastic Four animated series from Time-Warner...

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,503 posts
Since Disney owns Buena Vista it's certainly possible!

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Wow. 4 billion dollars for a comics company started by Stanley Lieber and Jacob Kurtzberg? Walt Disney must be rolling in his grave.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,503 posts

I'm just not convinced. Maybe it won't be for another five or ten years, but Disney will step in and take editorial control. It happened with the Muppets, and it will happen again here.

It hasn't happened with ABC, and they've own it for 13 years so far.

AND Disney owns and produces 'Desperate Housewives' of all things, which is FAR more risque and 'mature' than almost anything Marvel puts out.

Here's one better-- Disney owns Miramax, which funds Quentin Tarrantino's films.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
One thing I AM worried about with this, Tank, and if you could check on it, I'd appreciate it:

I frequently criticize how DC handles it's characters, I,E, never really allowing Superman, Wonder Woman, or the rest to ever really progress, or develop as characters. Never allowing them to change.

While Marvel HAS been good at character growth and development over the years.

The main reason for that, is that Warner owns DC, and won't let those iconic characters to really grow any.

I don't want to see the same thing happen with Marvel and Disney. I want Marvel to continue to be able to add new depths and development to their characters, without having to worry that Disney will veto them.

Edited by Obsidian, 31 August 2009 - 03:06 PM.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts

Some bullet points from the not-child-friendly website I work for part time that won an eisner for comic news that I generally only mention in the comics forum:

I :heart: You.

P.S. Tell that site that I wish they had an iPhone/iTouch friendly version, otherwise it is great.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
http://chud.com/arti...RVEL/Page1.html

UPDATE 7:42: Marvel and Pixar? John Lasseter and Marvel honchos recently met and got so excited the suits had to tell them to calm down, the deal wasn't done yet. There is DEFINITELY Marvel/Pixar stuff brewing right now.

C'Mon Pixar Spider-Man film!!! :drool:

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts

I frequently criticize how DC handles it's characters, I,E, never really allowing Superman, Wonder Woman, or the rest to ever really progress, or develop as characters. Never allowing them to change. While Marvel HAS been good at character growth and development over the years.

There is not THAT MUCH of a difference between Marvel or DC in this area anymore and hasn't been for probably two decades. Both companies have character growth, changes and retcons back to the status quo or just boots into a different alternate universe or just decided that the prior continuity is over etc etc. There really is not much of a difference between the companies, not in this and not in dark or gritty vs goldenboys either. If you want a real difference between the companies it's in the superhero underpants over the tights department. LOL

Sure Marvel has always been more about imperfect characters, but as I said DC has adopted growth in this way for over 20 years.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,503 posts
I have no way to check or validify your supposition, or my own answer.. but, I don't think WB has any real direct control over what DC does in their comics. As a studio they have the film licenses, but DC runs on its own. There may be some content edicts, but for the most part DC runs itself.

Andagain,. Marvel isn't failing, they've been on a constant upswing for years, so Disney doesn't want to mess with it, the want to cash in. Just licensing alone will make this dill worth untold billions.

Edited by Tank, 31 August 2009 - 03:22 PM.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts
I know Tank. I'm not worried about Disney dumbing down Marvel or anything (After all, aside from ABC, Touchstone and Miramax, they own a number of other properties that are more 'mature'.)

I just want to be sure that Marvel will have 100% creative control over their characters and books, and that Disney will NEVER, EVER, FOR ANY REASON veto any decision they make. I know they probably will not, but I just want to be sure.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I would have to believe that Disney would hold veto power over certain financial decisions if the need for such a "the buck stops here" decision surfaced. As such I think it is naive to hope that Disney will not have ANY say in a company they just bought.

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,501 posts
skipped the thread.. sorry if this has been said.....

DISNEY ZOMBIES!!!!!

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

I would have to believe that Disney would hold veto power over certain financial decisions if the need for such a "the buck stops here" decision surfaced. As such I think it is naive to hope that Disney will not have ANY say in a company they just bought.

I'm talking creatively, not financially.

And I just thought of ANOTHER bonus.

Maybe Marvel could convince Disney to start publishing a Gargoyles comic again!!!!!!

Or even incorporate the Gargoyles into the Marvel universe. Eeeeeeeee!!!!!!

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

Uatu the Watcher's Intern

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

* What happens to the Pixar/BOOM! Studios deal?
* Does the Beverly Hills Chihuahua get to join the Pet Avengers?

1. Yeah, I'm still wondering about that myself. Today is probably the worst day of Mark Waid's adult life.

2. THAT could get ugly.

If I had four billion dollars, I'd buy Marvel right back from Disney and immediately fire Joe Quesada.

Does Joe Q. even have a say? I thought this sort of decision would go straight to the stockholders and board of directors and what not?

I wanna see Franklin Richards pop up in Kingdom Hearts 3.

I will lay you even money on a Wolverine/Goofy crossover.

Come to think of it, how cool would it be to see a Pixar/Marvel movie? It could actually conceivably happen now!

The heads of Pixar and Marvel studios have ALREADY met. This is actually what excites me most!

Is anyone else thinking of the upcoming Peter Porker: Spider-Ham movie?

Reply to this topic