Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (spoilers)

638 replies to this topic

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Some might consider this premature but even though we're on the eve of perhaps the biggest release of the summer and by far the best reviewed film of the years, filming is already at the half way mark for the two part finale of the Potter series.

From ComingSoon.net:

Harry Potter: What to Expect from Deathly Hallows
Source: Edward Douglas
July 10, 2009

Today, at the New York press conference for Warner Bros.' anticipated Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the cast and crew talked about the final chapter in the long-running series based on J.K. Rowling's novels, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which has been divided into two separate films. (If you haven't read the book yet, you might want to turn away as to avoid spoilers before even seeing the sixth film.)

Director David Yates and the cast are about five months into shooting the two halves of the film, scheduled for November 19, 2010 and July 15, 2011, and he mentioned that they would have very different looks even though he's using the same crew. He told ComingSoon.net in an exclusive interview after the press conference that they've shot roughly 85% of Part 1 and 10% of Part 2, the latter due to the availability of the actors.

Earlier, Yates gave an idea about what the feel will be for the two parts of the final movie, which should be very different from Half-Blood Prince or anything that came before. "The first movie is a road movie basically, and it's quite intense and very raw and we're way away from Hogwarts, and it's a bit like three refugees being pursued across the landscape by these terrible Death Eaters. We're really enjoying it actually. It feels very different. What's hard about coming back to 'Half-Blood Prince' is we finished it about a year ago or less. It's weird coming back. The first one is very verité and documentary and edgy and on the road, and the second part is a big opera basically, a great big epic with huge battles and very oddly moving, because it concludes the whole saga really. So they're two very different films."

Producer David Heyman is still remaining deliberately coy about where the split between the two parts will happen, possibly because it still might change. "It's been an interesting process because actually, when we began, all of us didn't want to make two films. Why do it now? It was not something that was told to us that we had to do. It was just an organic process of working on it and Steve working on it. The films really took a fundamental turn when Steve working with Alfonso Cuaron made the decision to tell the story from Harry Potter's point of view, as opposed to translating the books to film. At that point, there were sort of necessary omissions along the way so something that we loved, for example something like SPEW, which is Hermione's interest in the house elves, we love that but it is omitted because it wasn't part of Harry's story. It allowed us to create a cinematic structure for the films rather than literally translating the books"

"The seventh book is a long book," he continued, "but it's a book in which there is almost nothing that isn't related to Harry and almost nothing that you could cut out so Steve working away in the vacuum of his house was struggling in some ways to figure out what to cut out. Together, all of us made the decision—obviously the studio were rather happy with that decision, let's not kid ourselves—but we made the decision to make two films. And Steve called me the other day and said, 'I think we can do three…" Only just joking of course, but actually, I think there's so much material in the seventh book that making two films was the very best thing we could have done to adapt it in the right way. In terms of where we're breaking it, we'd like to hold that back for a bit and actually we made a decision right now but because we're shooting both films as one in a way, we're shooting them together, we'll see what happens ultimately. The film is written in a very specific way and I'm sure that'll be where we end up but I don't want to say now and all of a sudden go 'Hm….'. Is that fair?"

"Absolutely fair," Yates agreed. "We do have an endpoint but we'll kind of figure it out when we start editing I think."

"'I'm so excited about the seventh film," Daniel Radcliffe told the sea of journalists earlier. "I don't know if anybody else had the same experience as me over the last couple of days, but seeing the sixth film again, it does suddenly strike me that we are doing something very, very different with the 7th film."

"It's not very often that in the middle of the filmmaking process, you stop yourself and go 'This is going to be awesome' and I've done that on a number of occasions," Emma Watson confirmed. "We've just done this amazing scene in the forest where we're getting chased by the Snatchers, and I've never done anything like it, nothing even close. I've never really done any serious stunts or any real action, and it's so exciting and just really dynamic. Because all of us are now finished with school and we're all just totally focused on this finale. It's out of Hogwarts, it's just about the three of us. It's going to be… well, I hope it's going to be brilliant and it feels totally different. I feel like I'm on a different film. The other films have this structure: You know, we come into the Great Hall and there's the opening talk and that's just gone, it's gone."

"Deathly Hallows," the book, ends with a flash-forward nineteen years to the young characters in the future, and the creators were asked how they thought they were going to accomplish that and whether it would involve the existing actors or older ones that looked like them. "We're still exploring how we're going to deal with that," Heyman responded, to which Yates added, "It's an absolutely beautiful part of the book and one of the most unique things of this franchise I guess is the fact that you've grown up with these characters. I think it's what makes it special for the audience, so we'll be delivering that at the end of Part 7 Part 2, but we're looking at various options of how we do it. We still haven't quite figured it out yet. Probably not 'Benjamin Button' technology. We did look into that, but we don't think it's the route we're going to take.

"A lot of 'Benjamin Button' was making them younger and we're taking people who are 20 years old and making them look like they're in their late 30s, so that's a different experience," Heyman confirmed. "We may use some of (it) but we're still in an exploratory stage. We're going to do everything we can and it will be Dan, Rupert and Emma in those parts, not some other actors."

Watson also mentioned that her and Rupert Grint have already filmed their big kissing scene two weeks ago. "It was not something we were really looking forward to," said Grint. "It was quite a strenuous day to have to go in and think about doing, but I think it was alright in the end."

"Yeah," Watson agreed. "David doesn't really let us watch playback but he let us watch playback under the circumstance because I think Rupert and I were quite nervous that it might look ingenuous, as we were so desperate to get it over with. I think Rupert and I felt the pressure of this kiss, and (for) the fans, this is like ten years worth of tension, hormones and chemistry and everything in one moment and we had to ace it, so it was like 'Oh God' but hopefully we did it."

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens on Wednesday, July 15. We'll have more from Mr. Yates next week, including him telling us about blowing up Hogwarts... and possibly even a good portion of Leavesden Studios in the process!

Hm, I love the road movie idea. Interesting that they're keeping the epilogue for the finale and that they may age the young adults into their forties. And I'm pretty sure they'll end the first part at the cabin. Thematically, that's the only place you can end it based on the info they gave us.

unacquainted

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
John Williams return a possibility.

RA (Richard Alexander)
DH (David Heyman)
RA: Hi, First I want to say thank you for your amazing work.
DH: Thank You.
RA: In a recent interview John Williams said that he would love to come back and bring his musical storytelling "full circle". Will he come back for Deathly Hallows?
DH: The question is will John Williams come back? I'm a huge fan of John Williams he did three of the scores and I think he is amazing. He came up with some of the themes that have carried on. We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes.
RA: Great, thanks.

As a huge John Williams mark, I'm beyond excited at the prospects of Williams returning to complete his opus in some capacity. There's an audio clip associated with the link provided with what was said by Heyman.

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,119 posts
From what I've read of the story outline, it makes sense for the first part to be a 'road movie' and then for the second to focus on the pandemonium as He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (I can't believe they censored his name, I must've missed that meeting) launches his attack. Also, I would expect the epilogue to be expanded and be a but more fulfilling than what I've heard about the book's version, no doubt taking on some of the ideas from Rowling about what becomes of them and showing this.

I'm all for Johnny Williams to return too. You need all your best people on hand to end this story :thumbsup:

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,384 posts
So long as he can still produce. Not to be morbid, but he's getting pretty high up there in years, and hasn't exactly been putting out his best work.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,795 posts
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

lol.

Wald

Wald

• Members
  • 3,259 posts
Please bring back Williams. The last three scores don't even come close to the first three. Someone ought to give Hooper a good kick in the nuts for the OotP score, and from what I have heard, HBP isn't much better.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,795 posts
i like how the last two films have gone away from the main-original scores of the harry potter theme, etc.

i like change. i thought the score for hbp was great. it brought emotion to the film.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,134 posts
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

I think the perfect part for the split will be after
Spoiler! --Click here to view--
Ron destroys the Locket Horocrux.
Need to have some hope at the end.

They also are planning to have (for those that haven't seen 6
Spoiler! --Click here to view--
Dumbledore's funeral

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• 13,119 posts
STOP SAYING He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named! :angry:

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
I think the perfect place for the split would be Ron's departure from the search. It would end the film on an appropriately grim note.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,795 posts

I think the perfect place for the split would be Ron's departure from the search. It would end the film on an appropriately grim note.

ooooohhh. agreed jc, very nice.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts
You know, I just reread books 6 and 7 on vacation and I can't definitively say where the best place for the split would be. No matter what I'm going to leave the theatre the first time going "I wish they would have gone up to _____!!" I'm just anxious for the movie to come out lol, and I haven't even seen HBP yet! Regrettably I didn't have time to check out any Bahamian theatres on my cruise.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I still think the best way to break up the story thematically would be at the cabin after everything goes down at the mansion. That just works out for the best.

Wald

Wald

• Members
  • 3,259 posts
Could someone please remind me what He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's seven horcruxs were? I am forgetting at the moment.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts
1. Ring
2. Locket
3. Cup
4. Diadem
5. Diary
6. Harry
7. Nagini

Right?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
That sounds about right.

Wald

Wald

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

1. Ring
2. Locket
3. Cup
4. Diadem
5. Diary
6. Harry
7. Nagini

Right?

Thanks! So Voldy's soul was split in eight, according to wiki. Those seven plus himself, even though they didn't all exist at once.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Yeah...originally Harry was told that Voldy split his soul into seven pieces, so there were six horcuxes; later on he found out that he was also a horcrux that Voldy had not intended to make.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
According to MuggleNet, the following cast will return to their roles previously established in film series:

• Stanislav Ianevski (Viktor Krum)
  • Joshua Herdman (Gregory Goyle)
  • Louis Cordice (Blaise Zabini)
  • Angelica Mandy (Gabrielle Delacour)
  • Katie Leung (Cho Chang)

Seems like they aren't skimping on the details with this last film. I bet the producers are now trying to figure out a way to have an extended flashback to include fugly heartthrob Robert Pattison to lure in those Twitards.

UK Legend Killa

UK Legend Killa

Double NFF Champion

• 19,652 posts
Grindelwald will be in it, played by Jamie Campbell Bower of Sweeny Todd and the new Prisoner series.

All good news

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts

According to MuggleNet, the following cast will return to their roles previously established in film series:

• Stanislav Ianevski (Viktor Krum)
  • Joshua Herdman (Gregory Goyle)
  • Louis Cordice (Blaise Zabini)
  • Angelica Mandy (Gabrielle Delacour)
  • Katie Leung (Cho Chang)

Seems like they aren't skimping on the details with this last film. I bet the producers are now trying to figure out a way to have an extended flashback to include fugly heartthrob Robert Pattison to lure in those Twitards.

I wonder if Crabb will be in it. The real life actor was sentenced for growing pot.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,635 posts

[list]
[*]Stanislav Ianevski (Viktor Krum)

To me, this means we're getting a wedding scene after all.

It can't be that hard to get another meathead to play Crabbe. It's not like he ever did anything but grunt previously.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

That's pretty early in the story isn't it?

Wald

Wald

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Yeah...originally Harry was told that Voldy split his soul into seven pieces, so there were six horcuxes; later on he found out that he was also a horcrux that Voldy had not intended to make.

Another dumb question for you. Voldy split his soul so that if he was ever killed, he could re-take human form using one of his pieces of his soul from a horcrux. When he tried to kill Harry, the spell bounced off and killed that piece of the soul. So he still had six horcruxes plus one more in Harry. What horcrux did he use to retake human form in Goblet of Fire? The diary was already destroyed as was the ring. So how did he reanimate?

Reply to this topic