Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Top Five Vampire TV Shows Of All Time

69 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Thomas the Unbeliever raped a woman in the first novel of the series and got away with it. Of course he's such a crying douchebag that I don't know he was ever sympathetic. LMFAO

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
I forgot about him. Mostly because I dropped the series before he even got to raping the chick.

Guest_Vampyr_*

Guest_Vampyr_*
  • Guests
I'm not one to post on threads but this i couldn't let go, blood ties is based on novels by Tanya Huff and created into a series anyone with basic knowledge would know his name is HENRY not harry.

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
Vampire Nerd Rage? Awesome. You'll fit right in here. Welcome. :)

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,491 posts

So Entertainment Weekly came out with their list of the 20 Best Vampires EVER (and THE INTERNET is pissed, as evidenced by this link: http://dayofwoman.bl...list-sucks.html ) and for once in my life, I agree with THE INTERNET)

Here's the list:

1. Lestat, Interview With the Vampire
2. Christopher Lee's Dracula
3. Bela Lugosi's Dracula
4. Edward Cullen, Twilight
5. Bill and Eric, True Blood
6. Asa Vajda, 1960's Black Sunday
7. Angel
8. Mr. Barlow, Salem's Lot
9. Schuyler Van Alen, Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods series
10. Gary Oldman's Dracula
11. Klaus Kinski's Dracula
12. Zoey Redbird, P.C. and Kristin Cast's House of Night series
13. Jean-Claude, Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series
14. David, 1987's The Lost Boys
15. Miriam Blaylock and Sarah Roberts, 1983's The Hunger
16. Blade, the Blade trilogy
17. Eli, 2008's Let the Right One In
18. Countess Bathory, 1971's Daughters of Darkness
19. Selene, the Underworld trilogy
20. Caleb and Mae, 1987's Near Dark

The fact that Twilight is ANYWHERE on this list is a ****ing travesty and shows that EW is just catering to whatever the flavor of the month is. ****ing morons. Also, as great as Cruise was in Interview, no way is he the best vampire ever. Rek-keg-nize Lugosi or Lee, bitches.

OKAY.

Lestat IS #1. I wholeheartedly agree there. But, I didn't think he got awesome until The Vampire Lestat. Armand, Marius, David, Akasha, and Maharet should probably be in there, too.

Bill and Eric need to be separate listings. Jessica and Pam would be worthy additions.

Agree with Angel, will raise you Spike and Drusilla.

Where are the Salvatore brothers, Katherine, and Klaus? TVD was a popular book series when this was compiled, even if it hadn't hit the tee vee yet. Especially if Zoey Redbird made the list, ugh.

Speaking of, Zoey Redbird needs to be UTTERLY ELIMINATED. From the list, and from my grey matter. She's worse than Edward Cullen, not even kidding.

And where is Being Human in all of this? The British show was on at the time. Nowadays, I'd put Aidan and Bishop near the top. Under Lestat and maybe Damon Salvatore, depending on how I feel on a particular day.

Animation needs to be included. D (if Blade counts, D counts), Alucard, the trio from Vampire Knight, etc.

Otherwise, the list isn't really that bad. Just needs some updating and housecleaning.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,855 posts
Uhm...hello?? The Count from Sesame Street?!? Best. Ever.
  • Wally Q +1 this

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

Lestat IS #1. I wholeheartedly agree there. But, I didn't think he got awesome until The Vampire Lestat. Armand, Marius, David, Akasha, and Maharet should probably be in there, too.

Bill and Eric need to be separate listings. Jessica and Pam would be worthy additions.

Agree with Angel, will raise you Spike and Drusilla.

Where are the Salvatore brothers, Katherine, and Klaus?

The whole thing is a bit confusing and vague, because while some people assume we're talking about film and TV, there are literary series listed, as well. And, of course, a number of the vampires that are on film & TV are from books. These versions are not always created equally, by any means. If to you, Lestat = Tom Cruise, then you may not appreciate the character nearly as much as an Anne Rice fan does. Bill and Eric should absolutely be separate, as lumping these two dissimilar characters together makes no more sense than combining the absent - and in many ways opposite - Damon and Stefan.

Both pairs of vampires further underline the difference between the literary and the onscreen versions in terms of "likability". I feel pretty safe saying that the TV versions of Eric and Damon would rate much higher than the ones in the books. The respective actors looks appeal to the female audience and their charisma and attitude appeal to the men.

*Icey, as someone who has a 16 year old cat named Louis, I couldn't help but notice that he's about the only Anne Rice vampire that you didn't mention! :lol:
*Moonlight was weak. Plus, I was highly surprised when Hawaii 5-0 started that that guy has any acting skills or charisma at all.
*Forever Knight is overrated, but at least it had a couple awesome vampires that may be "list worthy": LaCroix and Janette (whom I named Louis' sister after, may she RIP).
*Kindred: The Embraced was a great show. Certainly in my own top five, even if it was tragically cancelled after only eight episodes.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,491 posts

The whole thing is a bit confusing and vague, because while some people assume we're talking about film and TV, there are literary series listed, as well. And, of course, a number of the vampires that are on film & TV are from books. These versions are not always created equally, by any means. If to you, Lestat = Tom Cruise, then you may not appreciate the character nearly as much as an Anne Rice fan does. Bill and Eric should absolutely be separate, as lumping these two dissimilar characters together makes no more sense than combining the absent - and in many ways opposite - Damon and Stefan.

Both pairs of vampires further underline the difference between the literary and the onscreen versions in terms of "likability". I feel pretty safe saying that the TV versions of Eric and Damon would rate much higher than the ones in the books. The respective actors looks appeal to the female audience and their charisma and attitude appeal to the men.

*Icey, as someone who has a 16 year old cat named Louis, I couldn't help but notice that he's about the only Anne Rice vampire that you didn't mention! :lol:

Agree.

I do NOT see Tom Cruise as Lestat. When I say that Lestat is #1 in my book, I mean as Anne Rice's literary creation. Same for Vampire Bill and Eric Northman... I prefer the literary versions, as much as I like True Blood. Meanwhile, I really couldn't stand LJ Smith's writing or characterizations, but the writing and acting on the tv adaption of The Vampire Diaries (despite last season's derpitude) would put Damon, Stefan, and Katherine on my list. I'd add Caroline, too, if we're talking tv specific choices. Also, I hope to all things holy that Zoey Redbird never makes it to the screen in any capacity.

... and I never liked Louis that much. Sorry, Lohr! Also, as someone who LOVES Merrick, I could never see what she saw in Louis. Gah. I'd include Merrick in my list, but her death just... sucked. Pun only partially intended.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts
I'm not a huge fan of Louis, I just thought that it was interesting that with so many Anne Rice vamps being thrown out by you, he was noticeably absent. Of course, now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing Claudia, either (who, incidentally, was who my Louis' other sister was named for). In any event, I think we can all agree that one of the worst things that ever happened to the vampire world (and many of us) is Anne Rice...finding God. :unimpressed:

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,491 posts

I'm not a huge fan of Louis, I just thought that it was interesting that with so many Anne Rice vamps being thrown out by you, he was noticeably absent. Of course, now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing Claudia, either (who, incidentally, was who my Louis' other sister was named for). In any event, I think we can all agree that one of the worst things that ever happened to the vampire world (and many of us) is Anne Rice...finding God. :unimpressed:

Claudia... annoyed me. She was much cooler as an evil ghost. I just... did not dig IWTV. I think it's funny, though, that my friend has a cat named Claudia, too, after the same character :)

And... yeah. The moral and spiritual consequences of vampirism is a cool subject to explore, but... yeah.

Thrawn33

Thrawn33

• Members
  • 2,873 posts
Anyone remember the TV series based on Vampire: The Masquerade that came out some years ago? Granted I was young, but it didn't seem that bad.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,491 posts
NO?! What was it called? It would be a hoot to check out.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,855 posts
Ya know, I like Zooey Redbird for about 2 books.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,491 posts
The thing that bothers me about Zoey from page one is that she may as well be named Mary Sue. I mean, really. Specially chosen by the Goddess, pure channel of all the elements, has every guy in the story following her around with lust and adoration in their eyes... and it just gets worse as it goes on. Stevie Rae is a better character as characters go. Aphrodite got pretty interesting, too. I'd keep reading for Stevie Rae and Aphrodite if the Zoey stuff wasn't so fantastically (word chosen carefully there) awful.

In conclusion, Vampire Knight is a better take on the same story. Yuki's only downfall is...

Spoiler

Edited by Iceheart, 13 August 2011 - 12:08 PM.

Thrawn33

Thrawn33

• Members
  • 2,873 posts

NO?! What was it called? It would be a hoot to check out.

I actually think it was called "Vampire:the Masquerade" I'll check, back in a few.

Thrawn33

Thrawn33

• Members
  • 2,873 posts
Got it:

Called "Kindred: The Embraced" based of the "The Masquerade" RPG.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115232/

I remember it being a vampire mob type series.

Holy crap 1996....i'm old....

Edited by Thrawn33, 13 August 2011 - 03:49 PM.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,491 posts
Netflix doesn't have it :(

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,855 posts

The thing that bothers me about Zoey from page one is that she may as well be named Mary Sue. I mean, really. Specially chosen by the Goddess, pure channel of all the elements, has every guy in the story following her around with lust and adoration in their eyes... and it just gets worse as it goes on. Stevie Rae is a better character as characters go. Aphrodite got pretty interesting, too. I'd keep reading for Stevie Rae and Aphrodite if the Zoey stuff wasn't so fantastically (word chosen carefully there) awful.

Ya know, you're right. I think that's why I only liked the first 2 books. I think I was willing to accept everything for the first book because it's basically just an origin story, and then I guess the second was more of the same...but I just kept waiting for SOMETHING to happen that really tested Zoey. Stevie Rae was good. Aphrodite was my favorite for a while.

I, honestly, almost felt the same way about Potter after I read CoS. I remember thinking, "ok, if this is the pattern that all these books are in, I'm out," but then Azkaban came out and pretty much blew that theory out of the water.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,491 posts

Ya know, you're right. I think that's why I only liked the first 2 books. I think I was willing to accept everything for the first book because it's basically just an origin story, and then I guess the second was more of the same...but I just kept waiting for SOMETHING to happen that really tested Zoey.

The sad thing is, when she finally got "tested," it ended up being more of the same. Big scary-but-hot guy following her around with lust and admiration in his eyes. Powers building to conquer all obstacles. Personality getting even more whiny and obnoxious. Why did I read so many of these books???

I agree that CoS is the weakest of the HP books :yes:

Guest_sonamkapoor_*

Guest_sonamkapoor_*
  • Guests
My top 5 vampire movies are
Dracula
Fangland
Thirst
The Vampire’s Ghost
Vampires: The Turning
I rally like this mvie
I watch this movie Free time...........