Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Top Five Vampire TV Shows Of All Time

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Just a joke. A bad one, but just a little jab at a franchise that developed probably some of the lamest characters in all of literature to ever own the vampire tag. In my opinion.

Now, am I crazy or was there an updated version of Dark Shadows in the 80s or some such? I can't be thinking of the original, surely it didn't last that long did it?

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
NBC did a remake in the 90s. Here's the complete series if you've got a hankering.

CLICK ME

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Ha! Thanks, that's what I've been remembering.

Kay

Kay

• Members
  • 26 posts
I never much cared for the 80s version of DS, with the exception of Joanna Going as Victoria/Josette, who I think made the whole thing worth while and to this day is really one of the only reasons I still own it on dvd.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
That 1991 remake isn't higher on my list because the writers lost their minds. When it came on I was living in a dorm and I used to watch the show in the common room with about 25 other college age people. When all LOVED the show when it first came out. The guys loved Joanna Going (as did I), and the ladies loved whoever played the vampire. The stuff with the nerd who became the vampire's bitch was all very funny. The action and romance was bad assed.

Then the series took a lame turn. Joanna's character went back in time (this was never explained) and the show really started to suck. We all lost interest and stopped watching it when it became obvious that the back in time arc wasn't just a one or two episode thing. It was ****ing retarded and we all (20-25 college age people, the core demo) bailed the **** out on watching the show. Soon after it was cancelled, and I think we were a small example of thousands of people our age bailing on the tardation.

This show could have been ****ing awesome but the writers got hit with the retard stick. :no:

Foxglove

Foxglove

24-7 Rachet!

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
Am I having a stroke or did you say that twice in the same thread? :hmm:

Buffy is at the top of my list. Recognize.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

Am I having a stroke or did you say that twice in the same thread? :hmm:

Hey, if they didn't read it the first time I wrote it then I can pass it off as new **** I wrote! :drool:

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,250 posts
In other words, he didn't even read what he wrote the first time.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Naw, it's just that Jason, TA, and Kay were all acting like I hadn't just been talking about that series five minutes before their conversation, so I thought I could get one over. :drool:

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Dex, you know by now that I'm an airhead.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,790 posts

Just a joke. A bad one, but just a little jab at a franchise that developed probably some of the lamest characters in all of literature to ever own the vampire tag. In my opinion.

Now, am I crazy or was there an updated version of Dark Shadows in the 80s or some such? I can't be thinking of the original, surely it didn't last that long did it?

That 1991 remake isn't higher on my list because the writers lost their minds. When it came on I was living in a dorm and I used to watch the show in the common room with about 25 other college age people. When all LOVED the show when it first came out. The guys loved Joanna Going (as did I), and the ladies loved whoever played the vampire. The stuff with the nerd who became the vampire's bitch was all very funny. The action and romance was bad assed.

Then the series took a lame turn. Joanna's character went back in time (this was never explained) and the show really started to suck. We all lost interest and stopped watching it when it became obvious that the back in time arc wasn't just a one or two episode thing. It was ****ing retarded and we all (20-25 college age people, the core demo) bailed the **** out on watching the show. Soon after it was cancelled, and I think we were a small example of thousands of people our age bailing on the tardation.

This show could have been ****ing awesome but the writers got hit with the retard stick. no.jpg

Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone

never forget

• Members
  • 11,577 posts

With True Blood back and a couple more vamp shows beginning this fall, I thought it was a good time to rank the all time series in this subgenre.

Honorable Mentions: Dark Shadows (1991 version) and Forever Knight.

5) Buffy The Vampire Slayer: This wasn't strictly a "vampire series", which is why it's lower on the list than you might think. But there was enough hawt hawt vampire action on a weekly basis to satisfy most fans' blood lust. This show was the perfect combination of camp, comedy, and action.
Where they stupidly disagreed with Stoker: Garlic doesn't affect them and they blow up in a shower of dust when killed, they can't glamor people, but everything else is pretty close.

Not true. Remember when Dru killed Kendra and kidnapped Giles? She clearly has that power though I can't ever remember it being used on the show before or after that episode. Which is great because I think it's the stupidest power that vampires have.

EDIT: Dracula used it on Buffy in the first episode of season five but she quickly snapped out of it. She drank his blood.

Edited by Joey Ramone, 24 July 2009 - 01:00 AM.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Hmmm, interesting. Was that a glamor or not? I've never really thought about it because it was the single worst scene in the entire series and the lamest death ever. Oooooo, she waved her head back and forth so despite the fact that I'm a mentally tough, trained since birth Slayer I'm going to fall for her hypnotoad routine. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ooooo, I've been trained against vampires my entire ****ing life so when one tells me to pay attention to her and look into her eyes I'm instantly going to obey her rather than staking her or kicking her ass. :rolleyes: Give me a ****ing break. Not even Dracula could glamor people that fast while within the heat of battle. I call straight bull****. That was ****ing retarded.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
In both Dracula and Dru's case, their extra powers had nothing to do with them being vampires. Dru was born with her sight and, presumably, her hypnotic powers. Spike dismissed Dracula's powers as magic tricks for the most part.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

In both Dracula and Dru's case, their extra powers had nothing to do with them being vampires. Dru was born with her sight and, presumably, her hypnotic powers. Spike dismissed Dracula's powers as magic tricks for the most part.

TA nailed it. Dru was a special case because she was having psychic visions and powers before she was a vampire, and believed herself to be evil. She was in training to become a nun, in hope of banishing her powers, when Angelus met and turned her. It was Drusilla herself, not the vampirism, that allowed her to do that.

EDIT: Dracula used it on Buffy in the first episode of season five but she quickly snapped out of it. She drank his blood.

Sh didn't exactly 'quickly' snap out. She was under his thrall for 2 or 3 days. She DID overcome it eventually, but the only reason she had a chance to do so in the first place was because Dracula didn't kill her right away, as Drusilla did Kendra.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
So Entertainment Weekly came out with their list of the 20 Best Vampires EVER (and THE INTERNET is pissed, as evidenced by this link: http://dayofwoman.bl...list-sucks.html ) and for once in my life, I agree with THE INTERNET)

Here's the list:

1. Lestat, Interview With the Vampire
2. Christopher Lee's Dracula
3. Bela Lugosi's Dracula
4. Edward Cullen, Twilight
5. Bill and Eric, True Blood
6. Asa Vajda, 1960's Black Sunday
7. Angel
8. Mr. Barlow, Salem's Lot
9. Schuyler Van Alen, Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods series
10. Gary Oldman's Dracula
11. Klaus Kinski's Dracula
12. Zoey Redbird, P.C. and Kristin Cast's House of Night series
13. Jean-Claude, Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series
14. David, 1987's The Lost Boys
15. Miriam Blaylock and Sarah Roberts, 1983's The Hunger
16. Blade, the Blade trilogy
17. Eli, 2008's Let the Right One In
18. Countess Bathory, 1971's Daughters of Darkness
19. Selene, the Underworld trilogy
20. Caleb and Mae, 1987's Near Dark

The fact that Twilight is ANYWHERE on this list is a ****ing travesty and shows that EW is just catering to whatever the flavor of the month is. ****ing morons. Also, as great as Cruise was in Interview, no way is he the best vampire ever. Rek-keg-nize Lugosi or Lee, bitches.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,790 posts
EW needs to stop with their lists. No one ever likes them.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
No Nosferatu, no Barnabas, no Spike, no Alucard. Fail.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,790 posts

No Nosferatu, no Barnabas, no Spike, no Alucard. Fail.

SERIOUSLY!

Leaving off Max Schrek is idiocy. It's one of the most defining and visually striking, not to mention historical vampire portrayals ever.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,054 posts
But.. but...

:(
  • Wally Q +1 this

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

4. Edward Cullen, Twilight

Wha...?

I thought this was a list for vampires, not Emo-sparkle boys.

There are no vampires in that 'Twilight' crap.

Edited by Obsidian, 15 August 2009 - 12:26 PM.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Yeah, what you said.

Obsidian

Obsidian

Kill Humanity

• Members
  • 7,343 posts

1) Angel: There has never been a protag like Angel in any genre of television. Name another show where the hero can lock a dozen people in with two monsters so they can be slaughtered and have the fans coming back for more.

Got an ever better example. Season One, episode 'Sanctuary'. Angel hits Buffy across the face. Angel is the only male protagonist who could not only strike his ex-girlfriend and remain sympathetic, but have it actually be justifiable (seeing how she struck him first, and she's stronger than he is).

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Yeah, that was solid. :drool:

Also, since we're listing film and TV now, I'm going to have to have that Let The Right One In vampire girl on my list somewhere. She was ****ing creepy. The American remake is really going to suck without that actress.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

1) Angel: There has never been a protag like Angel in any genre of television. Name another show where the hero can lock a dozen people in with two monsters so they can be slaughtered and have the fans coming back for more.

Got an ever better example. Season One, episode 'Sanctuary'. Angel hits Buffy across the face. Angel is the only male protagonist who could not only strike his ex-girlfriend and remain sympathetic, but have it actually be justifiable (seeing how she struck him first, and she's stronger than he is).

Eh, I don't think that works all that well. Beyond your points about Buffy hitting first and being stronger than him, he was also acting to protect Faith (a noble act, not an abusive one). We've also seen Buffy hit so many times (including by Angel) that it really doesn't even register.

Now, Spike on the other hand. He managed to stay sympathetic even after an attempted rape. Luke Spencer's the only other character I can think of that's ever managed that.