The Phantom Menace • Virtual DVD Commentary

Tank

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Next scene: Anakin says good-bye!

With Jar-Jar gone apparently Anakin is on his own in the big city while Qui-Gon and Obi_Wan talk to the council. He wants to say bye to Padme, assuming he's off to become a Jedi, but alas, Padme is running an errand.

The Queen (actual) comes in and wishes Anakin luck.

Unclear what the point of this scene is and I think it should have been cut. It did not advance the plot. It does give us one tiny bit of character work, and that's that Padme is so dedicated to playing her double roles that she won't break character even for a little kid. But I don't think that's enough to warrant an otherwise pointless scene.

• 1 month later...

I too have always wanted Anakin to use the force during the pod racer repair scene, Tank. Man, it would have been great. Another moment I felt it could have worked is earlier when we are first introduced to Sebulba and he wants to fight Jar Jar. It would have been awesome to hint that Anakin calmed the situation down with a primitive mind trick.

I wouldn't have liked that for continuity reasons. Anakin already demonstrates rather fine control of the Force with his piloting skills, mechanical skills, and later with some basic mind-reading tricks. Having him run around using telekenisis and mind control would have been too much. The mind-reading trick probably was too much in itself.

Compare this with his son Luke, or Leia for that matter, who are both supposed to be near the same level as Vader in terms of Force potential. Luke is remarked to already be a great pilot, but otherwise has never shown the slightest inclination for using the Force. At age 20 he doesn't even know what Ben's talking about and doesn't make a real breakthrough until practicing blindfolded with the remote.

It took him three years of training on his own to just barely progress enough to use telekenisis on a lightsaber in the Wampa Ice Creature's cave.

Quite the prescient take in light of Rey's easy Force blooming in The Force Awakens, wouldn't you say?

Certainly shows that the belief that she gained her powers too quickly isn't necessarily a closet sexism thing.

The pod race was more of an indicator than the Battle of Naboo for sure. Even more so seeing as we knew he had lost races before. Not even finishing a race. The added determination of wanting to help Padme and Qui Gon was more fuel to help him win.

Apples and Oranges though. Their respective setups aren't meant to parallel each other's. I mean if Kid Skywalker jumps in and helps Obi Wan defeat Maul shit would have hit the fan.

He was using the force to fly the damn thing whilst trying to stop it falling apart.

Noobs.

Hahaha

You forgot to use two zeros instead of "o"s so it reads n00bs. A "z"for extra pwnage instead of an "s"wouldn't go a miss either.

• 8 months later...

I don't know what I was doing in 2009, but I should have been reading this thread. Nice work by all involved...even if it ended prematurely.

This really took me back to when I was soooo excited for new Star Wars that I saw TPM three times in the theatre and I forget how many more times on DVD. I made a lot of excuses for it in my mind at first, but I eventually had to settle on the fact that Lucas had just completely lost it and all the potential the prequels had was wasted.

I really wish this thread had continued; you guys had some great insights. I haven't watched any of the prequels since RotS in the theatre (once), and I haven't really been tempted, but I just might do it now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.