Ridley Scott's Prometheus

Wally Q

Not so sure on the 2-prequels idea, but the 3-D idea is exciting. Chestbursters, face huggers and giant tongues with teeth in 3-D. Guarnateed to succeed, and in Scott's hands too (as opposed to some of the other hacks who would explout 3-D for all they could) this could be EPIC.

Prequel to be "really nasty"

Director Sir Ridley Scott has revealed that his 3D Alien prequel will be "really nasty" and will respond to the standard set by James Cameron's Avatar.

Speaking to Screen Daily, the film-maker said the movie, set in 2085, would be "the dark side of the moon".

Sir Ridley, who directed the original Alien film in 1979, paid tribute to Cameron's technological innovation.

"Jim's raised the bar and I've got to jump to it," said the 72-year-old. "He's not going to get away with it."

Speaking about the Alien prequel, which is set five years before the original, the British film-maker said it is about "gods and engineers... engineers of space".

"And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would actually go in and clean up a planet?"

"It will take place in the years before that, when they first come across this thing on a planet called Zeta Reticuli, he added.

"And it will ask who was that guy in the first film lying in a chair with his chest blown outwards when they first go into the giant spacecraft."

It's a shame Dan O'Bannon is no longer with us to pen the story.

• 2 months later...

I read an interview with Ridley Scott where he pretty much said the space jockey "corpse" we see in Alien is really going to turn out to be some kind of space suit/exoskeleton kind of thing. Kind of like the exoskeleton armored suits the aliens in ID4 have. This means the space jockeys real form could be very different than what we imagine from looking at the exoskeleton.

I never had much faith in Scott's Robin Hood once they ditched the angle where Russell played the Sheriff and Robin. I always took that as he played a dual role in the legend and I liked that idea.. I think I'll only get the home video release just for the documentary. On the sci-fi side, I think last year it was reported that Ridley was in talks to develop Brave New World with DiCaprio's production company, Appian Way.

they ditched the angle where Russell played the Sheriff and Robin. I always took that as he played a dual role in the legend and I liked that idea.

It would have ruined it even more for me. I would have kept picturing David Warner in Quest of the Delta Knights.

• 5 months later...
“While Alien was indeed the jumping off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien’s DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative. I couldn't be more pleased to have found the singular tale I'd been searching for, and finally return to this genre that's so close to my heart.”

Says Lindelof: "In a world flooded with prequels, sequels and reboots, I was incredibly struck by just how original Ridley's vision was for this movie. It's daring, visceral and hopefully, the last thing anyone expects. When I sat in a movie theater as a kid, feet raised off the floor for fear that something might grab my ankles, I never dreamed in my wildest imagination I would one day get to collaborate with the man responsible for it. Working alongside him has been nothing short of a dream come true."

Hmmm...not sure yet :rock:

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Some bits and pieces...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnlFIBNy8ko

"He was marvelous, but he's cooked," laughs 74 year old Ridley Scott of the Nostromo's unforgettable chestbursting stowaway. "He's now got an orange in his mouth." What Alien's famous director wants to make clear, as post production on his much-vaunted $100 million, 3D return to the science-fiction genre, draws close, is that he has gone back to the universe of his groundbreaking classic, but he's also moved on. "I felt there was still life in the old sod, but it has evolved into something else. To stick to the story, you don't really get it until about eight minutes from the end." Deep down in its scaly heart, Prometheus is an Alien prequel, but not as we know it.

It certainly embraces the Alien aesthetic; that biomechanoid phantasmagoria born of H.R. Gigers pervy art and his director's unerring eye. "It does," agrees Scott "but it's also different..." This is as much a matter of scope as anything. With a much bigger budget, Scott has been utlising all the tools available to him: high-end digital effects ("Avatar set the bar high"), filming in 3D ("You engage more, you're drawn in") and building massive Giger-esque sets across Pinewood that oozed the atmosphere that defined his career ("I still believe in putting in the proscenium")

The cast went giddy at the belly-of-the-beast effect of the giant sets. If Alien was a souped-up B-Movie, then Prometheus is a biblical epic. "Alien felt epic," says Scott "but this one is epic."

Barring a beach scene in the long cut of Alien 3, the new film will feature the franchise's first genuine exterior, with Iceland's black lava fields providing the new planet's hardscrabble surface (LV-426 was created on a soundstage). Thematically, too, it's gone big. This is God versus Science, and the survival of not just the crew (most of whom probably don't) but mankind itself. In other words, there is a whole 2001-vibe going on. "It's gone off in a new direction," boasts Scott "but I promise it will engage you in the first five minutes."

The script, written by Jon Spaihts and Lost's Damon Lindelof, based on "one single thought" Scott drew from the original, initially follows a familiar arc. The crew of the Prometheus (the ship's name designed to echo the Greek myth) follow a perplexing message to a planet that will open their eyes and their chests to a new alien race. "A crew of scientists embark on a journey somebody else is paying for," says the director, referring to the fact Charlize Theron's Meredith Vickers is a "suit" for a certain Weyland-Yutani. Meanwhile, Michael Fassbender may or may not be an early model of Ash's android and may or may not be trustworthy. And Noomi Rapace's archaeologist heroine, Elizabeth Shaw - a spiritual cousin to "Rippers" - is one half of a conflicted couple of Logan Marshall-Green's Holloway: "One comes from a position of faith, and the other is pure scientist," details Scott. Both are going to have a lot to swallow.

Even at the time of Alien, some 32 years ago, Scott mentioned he was interested in exploring the origins of the 'Space Jockey', the dead pilot of the derelict "space croissant". He talked about bioengineering and biological warfare as potential themes. Has he been able to satisfy his curiosity in that respect? "Definitely."And what significance can we draw from the pictures slowly being released, especially the giant humanoid 'head' that looms over what Scott terms the "ampule chamber"? "Oh there's a lot more to it," he says wafting explanations away, "I've locked up all the sweet stuff..." Including something familiar, perhaps?

I'm getting quite excited about this movie, the little bits of footage released look awesome.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.