Ridley Scott's Prometheus

Wally Q

• 2 weeks later...

Well, early fan reaction and reviews certainly haven't been promising. I've read the synopsis, as well as detailed discussions from overseas viewers, which have only backed up the "pretty good, but scattershot and occasionally WTF film" consensus.

I've never gone into backlash mode before seeing a movie, but am willing to give it a go...

:eek:

I'd be surprised if it drops below that. The most vitriolic rants have been coming from butthurt fanboys who didn't get the movie they imagined. Most of the critics have been a lot more measured, basically saying it's a good flick and visually amazing... just nowhere near as intelligent and important as Alien or Blade Runner.

I think this may be another example of the wait between installments becoming a burden on the product. Too much time to develop personal expectations.
Absolutely. Also, from what I've read of fan reviews, the film has been cut down to the point of near incoherence at points, especially early on. There are several scenes in the trailers and TV spots that were trimmed or didn't make it to the final cut that the viewers were expecting to see. I won't judge until I see it for myself, but this might be one of those rare cases where a "Special Deluxe Director's Edition" is actually a major improvement.

Also, the fanboys have calmed down in the hours since its premier. General consensus has moved from "Most disappointing science fiction flop since The Phantom Menace" to "Not quite up to Alien, or even Aliens, but definitely better than any of the other movies in which the xenomorph appears."

Just saw it in imax 3D. Very brief thoughts follow, no spoilers so safe to read.

Characters and motivations are pretty thin, most characters being redundant (eg. Vickers). Script is fairly weak too.

HOWEVER.

I still enjoyed it.

Some really good body horror/gruesome bits that were very tense and had me on the edge of my seat. Visually it's awesome though the 3D is barely used in the majority of scenes; it's quite subtle, and though of a higher quality than those conversion jobs it really doesn't feel like an 'experience' like Avatar did in Imax. Star map looks nice though.

Fassbender steals the show, though again, his character's motivations are all over the place.

I definitely got the impression that a LOT was left on the cutting room floor. It's quite slow in the beginning then goes almost absurdly fast through to the end.

It asks some big questions but doesn't answer them, though strangely this didn't annoy me at all but instead I enjoyed the ambiguity. Lots to talk about with your friends afterwards.

It really doesn't pander to Alien fanboys at all really, except for the final scene which I felt was a bit unnecessary. (you'll know when you see it).

I can definitely see how some people might be underwhelmed, it's far from perfect. I think most would give it 3 stars, though for me it's a solid 4 star film. Doesn't touch Alien or Aliens, but miles better than the rest of the series.

Saw this earlier, it was good but I was a little dissapointed, I was really hyped for it though so maybe I had unrealistic expectations. It isn't remotely as tense or scary as Alien, in fact I don't think it was scary at all, I can't remember a single moment that made me jump or a scene where I was actually worried for a character except maybe one. I was also hoping for more answers but was just left wondering about how it all ties into Alien. Fassbender and Rapace are very good though, I liked their characters. The rest were largely forgettable, there were probably too many crew members. Would probably give it a 7/10, sort of wish I'd just gone to see Avengers again.

There's pretty much no clear lines to Alien, you are left kind of to theorize how the sypho dyas eggs come about.

I wonder if it is because the whole Queen/egg thing was made up for Aliens. In Ridley's alien the Xenomorph victims became the new eggs. There's cut scenes of Ripley discovering this. It's why she blew the ship.

Let's put it this way. You know how people who love the PT will tell you up and down that things make total sense and the. Tell you some convoluted half guessing way to prove it? That's how you'll get your answers.

There's pretty much no clear lines to Alien, you are left kind of to theorize how the sypho dyas eggs come about.

I wonder if it is because the whole Queen/egg thing was made up for Aliens. In Ridley's alien the Xenomorph victims became the new eggs. There's cut scenes of Ripley discovering this. It's why she blew the ship.

I thought the...

Very last scene with the chest-bursty Engineer was pretty much a direct tie-in... which ironically has all the fans who demanded a direct prequel bitching even more about how disappointed they are. Sheesh, make up yer mind, guys! That being said, one thing I really do like is how they're going back to the Xenomorph-as-hyper-adaptive-and-unpredictable-WMD angle.

It felt like it should have gone all out as an Alien prequel or not at all, the nods and links to Alien are just too vague. There is no doubt it is set in the same universe and is an Alien film, but...

Unless I missed something its a completely different planet, ship and Space Jockey than we saw in Alien. That dissapointed me.

I forgot to add the film is visually gorgeous though, and has a wonderful main theme score wise.

Having thought about it some more since my initial viewing/post, it's fair to say the film has some serious issues. But put it this way, would I rather watch this or Alien 3/Alien Resurrection? This, all the way.

It felt like it should have gone all out as an Alien prequel or not at all, the nods and links to Alien are just too vague. There is no doubt it is set in the same universe and is an Alien film, but...

Unless I missed something its a completely different planet, ship and Space Jockey than we saw in Alien. That dissapointed me.

Regarding spoiler: I don't think you missed anything. Can't say for sure, since this it's probably the only scene of note I haven't seen posted online yet, but I have read nauseatingly-detailed analysis of it, and it sounds like you're correct. I guess you could say it's more of a direct nod than a direct tie?

Whats funny is the Ridley has said all along it's not a direct tie in, but all the visuals really told us otherwise. And without spoiling the final scene, yes Pong it does connect... But it doesn't really deliver what Ex was talking about-- giving us an idea of exactly how the Xenomorph came to be.

I would have prefered it without the final scene to be honest, at least then..

...I could have pictured the Space Jockey crawling back to the crashed ship, getting in the pilots seat and having a bit of consistancy with Alien. With the final scene theres no connection.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I forgot to add the film is visually gorgeous though, and has a wonderful main theme score wise.

Whats funny is the Ridley has said all along it's not a direct tie in, but all the visuals really told us otherwise. And without spoiling the final scene, yes Pong it does connect... But it doesn't really deliver what Ex was talking about-- giving us an idea of exactly how the Xenomorph came to be.

I would have prefered it without the final scene to be honest, at least then..

...I could have pictured the Space Jockey crawling back to the crashed ship, getting in the pilots seat and having a bit of consistancy with Alien. With the final scene theres no connection.

Correct me if I am wrong but....

Alien and Aliens take place on a planet named LV-426

Prometheus went to a moon named LV-223.

(Interestingly, note the first and last number of 223 is half the first and last number in 426)

Therefore, this is not the same planet or ship, right?

Just saw it! Guys please familiarize yourselves with H.R. Giger's designs for Castle Harkonen for Alejandro Jodorowsky's version of Dune. I'm glad Ridley Scott pays tribute, this film was really good. I am officially in love with Noomi Rapace!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.