Little things that annoy you

People who don’t know when to use the word “reboot.” The new Star Wars trilogy is not a reboot! The X-files revival was not a reboot! The new Rosanne episodes is not a reboot!

Roseanne isn’t a reboot but it is a retcon— Dan died!

People who don’t know when to use the word “reboot.” The new Star Wars trilogy is not a reboot! The X-files revival was not a reboot! The new Rosanne episodes is not a reboot!

Roseanne isn’t a reboot but it is a retcon— Dan died!

Dan's not dead, they won the lottery and Rosanne fought off a train of women-hating terrorists from Manastan and was rewarded with a thank-you from Hillary Clinton.

I don't except any canon expect accept that.

• 3 years later...

People who don't know how to use the word "conspiracy theory."  The other day, I heard the belief in Atlantis referred to as a conspiracy theory.  Taking an old written account as literal history doesn't constitute a conspiracy theory, unless someone is arguing that people are trying to hide Atlantis from us.  Same applies to Big Foot and spontaneous human combustion.  I hear those called conspiracy theories sometimes.  They're pseudoscience, sure, but they're not conspiracy theories because for something to qualify as a conspiracy theory it has to, you know, involve a conspiracy.  

You ever learn something new that is relatively mundane, like the difference between lesser and fewer, and then judge everyone for not knowing that same thing?

In the last year I learned the phrase, "I could literally (eat a horse/ sleep all year/ etc" is actually correct!  It is older vernacular used as a form of hyperbole.  So my pet peeve is people that go around correcting people for saying "I could literally..." and then I correct them! 

Mark Twain, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Charles Dickens, Emily Bronte, James Joyce, etc ALL USED "literally" in this figurative manner.  It has only recently--as in the last few decades, with the rise "well actually" crowd, has this been seen as incorrect grammar. 

The hard part for me is Weird Al has a song that I like, "Word Crimes" (a riff on Blurred Lines) has a line about how he hates using the word literally incorrectly.

1 hour ago, monkeygirl said:

I have a ton of little pet peeves. One that annoys me daily is when people don't know the difference between "take" and "bring"

Bring it here, take it there. But I've definitely used them incorrectly. The one I have a hard time with is affect vs effect. I almost always end up changing it... then find out I was right the first time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.