Little things that annoy you

"Meet me halfway".

An old friend we haven't seen in years calls and says he'll be in San Francisco, which he assumes is really close to Seattle. He says we should meet halfway one weekend and hang out. So I come up with things to do that are about halfway between San Francisco and Seattle. It's about a 7 or 8 hour drive for both of us. So I told him where the halfway point was, and he keeps suggesting places much closer to him than to us. You know, buddy, that's not halfway. That's not even close. My time is valuable too, and I don't care to waste any more of my weekend in a car, either. Then he says he may not leave until Saturday morning. WHY are we even bothering to meet?

I know I probably get far too irritated about stuff like this, but it seems like it happens all the time. I need better friends.

I think that almost everytime you post anything about your friends, Destiny.

My old boss avoids me when I enter the library, but then goes to other people while I'm there and tries to get info about me. Why don't you just come up and ask me yourself? It's not like there's anyone I can absolutely know you were responsible for me losing my job.

• 3 years later...

I walk into a store the other day, and an employee immediately approaches me and says "how can I help you?" Not "can I help you" but "how can I help you". That really drives me up the wall considering that I know exactly what I'm looking for and where to find it. I tell her I don't need any help, but that isn't even an answer to her question, because her question presuposes that I need her help to begin with. I hate it when people ask me questions in which the only way I can respond is to provide an answer to a slightly alternate question.

My 4'th grade teacher used to do the same thing. I remember doing well on a test once, and the next day she asks "Did you show that test to your mother?" "Yes" I reply. Then she says "how did she like it?" :angry: Not "did she like it" (I know how to answer that one. Its either a yes or no) but "how did she like it", as if there exist some universal scale in which one can measure quantitatively the degree to which someone likes something. I never know how to answer those kind of questions.

I hate it when people ask me questions in which the only way I can respond is to provide an answer to a slightly alternate question.

I do, too. I also hate questions that are posed in such a way that they're unintentionally a string of 2-3 questions which all require separate answers, but to which the questioner expects only a yes or no. My wife throws those types of questions at me a lot.

Now that Amanda's here, yeah!

I avoided making a list because I don't want to be viewed as Shadowdog Female, but now that this thing's floating around again, I have to.

* People who use the left lane on a freeway for anything other than passing.

* People who don't use their turn indicators

* People who bust ASS to pull out in front of you, then slam on their brakes to slow down, THEN flip YOU off for no apparent reason.

* Groups of people who ****ing stand on the walking path at Green Lake and ignore the swaths of walkers and bikers slogging through the mud to go around them

* People who call you at work and ask what you're doing (especially when they KNOW you're on the air)

* People who call you and start the conversation they want to have in the middle instead of saying hi, how are you, is this a good time, I'd like to ask you something, etc.

* People who can't say asterisk, et cetera or voila

* People who "plead the fifth" to a question that has nothing to do with illegality

* People who are waiting for an elevator then push their way through those who want to get off said elevator rather than standing back and letting the ****ing thing empty first. It's not as if it's going back up until everyone's OFF it, Skippy.

* Litterers

* Stupids

* People who POUND repeatedly on the buttons to activate the walk signal at intersections or at the elevator.

* Taggers (grafitti ARTISTS excluded)

* People who buy pets then ignore them

* People who get rid of pets because they've had a baby or moved to a place that won't take pets. Gawd help Grandma if you have to move again and they don't want old people.

* People who smile inappropriately

* People who fart in the damn studio

* People who don't leave things not theirs as they found them

* Women who take FOR. ****ing. EVAR. in public restrooms. Girl, you have pelvic floor muscles for a reason-you PUSH it out, don't just sit down and wait for it to fall out your body. ****.

* People who will gladly receive but not give the oral

* Smelly people

* People who text and drive

* Parking enforcement officers who ticket you 30 ****ing seconds after the meter runs out

* People who give you **** for what you order or HOW you order at a restaurant or bar YES, I WANT tartar sauce with my french fries and would like my salmon grilled, not breaded, stuffed and deep-fat fried. **** YOU, I'm paying for this and I'm not making unreasonable requests

* People you don't know who address you by name-like, constantly, not just a receptionist re-iterating he knows your name. Like a salesperson who seems to have been told I'd buy anything in any quantity if he used my name like I'm ****ing Beetlejuice

* People who cannot shut the **** up at movies...and yes, Shadowdog, it happens to me fairly often.

* People who, after I've hiked two miles up a beach for some privacy, come up and drop their blanket 10 feet from me

* People who stroll along Pike Place like it's their personal sidewalk, ambling down the middle of the ****ing street as if traffic's not piling up behind them. We're not all tourists and some of us have places to be! It's a REAL ****ing STREET, you idiot! Just because they haven't paved over the brick doesn't mean it's a ****ing pedestrian mall.

* Drivers who turn on all their exterior lights the second a cloud passes the sun, as if they can't see 5 feet ahead of them

* People who use their camera's flash at concerts and sporting events. You REALLY think you have enough candlepower to get to the stage 100 yards away and that the 2.1 jigawatts of Kleig lights on that rack above it aren't quite enough to light your subject?

* People who can't park

* People who stand in front of what you need at the grocery store for hours, as if they're the only ones in the whole place

* People who refuse to take the first paper or magazine in a stack and have to dig down for a "fresh" one

* People who leave their vehicle in front of the pump after filling up to go inside to pay

* People who won't cover up their plumber's crack

* Kitties which bite for no reason

* the words *****, moist, huzzah and cattywampus

* Crafts invloving cotton balls

* Parents who refer to each other as "Mommy" and "Daddy" when not talking to their children

* People who won't pop their obviously ripe zits

* feet

* People who think Linkin Park makes decent music

I'll add as more occurs to em

* People who buy pets then ignore them

* People who get rid of pets because they've had a baby or moved to a place that won't take pets. Gawd help Grandma if you have to move again and they don't want old people.

Hey, I actually agree with these (though a surprising number of cheaper abodes truly are anti-pet Nazis, so I do have some sympathy when people are forced to move and every affordable place says "You guys can move in, but not the dog/cat/hamster/eel.")

* People who refuse to take the first paper or magazine in a stack and have to dig down for a "fresh" one
That's totally me. Especially with produce. I don't like other people, and definitely don't want to touch something they just wiped their filthy, greasy, feces-and-tuberculosis-blood caked hands on. So gross.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.