Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Copper's Mini's!

11 replies to this topic

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
LOVE

He reminded her of a broken marionette. She knew him only by his down-turned profile, through the scruff of his gray spattered beard. She imagined roots plunged deep into the earth beneath his feet, fixing him to his perch on a dark bench nearly cocooned in slick, pale, corkscrewed vines. The yard was carefully chaotic. Fresh shoots of spring green rivaled older, waxy greens so dark they were nearly black. Delicate blooms as white as bleached linens swung wildy in the lashing rain. She approached him cautiously, her white keds already soaked through. She held out her cupped palm. His head lifted, examined the small glass sun-catcher pearled with rain drops in her hand.

"Why?" his eyes met hers. She'd never seen them; they were pale, cool blue pools of water.

"You're always alone out here. I figured you could use a rainbow."

Rain plunged off of his nose in a steady stream. "What's your name?"

"Lila."

"Lila. I'm Thomas. Sit down?"

Lila sat. Thomas lifted the rainbow up. Its colors caught nothing but rain.

edit: extra quotation mark.

Edited by Copper, 07 March 2009 - 11:25 PM.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,011 posts
So good.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,496 posts
Really beautiful :thumbsup:

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Thanks muchachos!

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
I approve of all stories with bearded men named Thomas.

:thumbsup:

Kokeshi_Doll769

Kokeshi_Doll769

oh hey i didn't see you there

• Members
  • 5,221 posts
April, you never fail to create a vivid picture. awsum.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
APATHY

Sharp, bony knee caps sliced into the turned earth beneath Thomas’ kneeling form. His nail beds were full of black dirt and the loamy scent of moss swarmed around his head like an invisible cloud of nattering bees. “Why should I care,” he plunged his hands back into the soil, each move sharp. The tendons in his delicate wrists stood out like levees beneath his skin.

“How can you not care? He’s responsible for all this.” Lila kicked the shelled container that once held the alpine aster’s now stretching their roots into damp new soil. Her keds were stained. Thomas remembered how prinstinely white they were when she first approached him through the rain.

“So what? It’s mine. He has more important things to worry about.”

“Thomas,” Lila crouched, slid her knees along the outside of his, stopped the furrowing of his hands. A sparrow caging a lion. “Babe-”

He stopped her with his mouth on her lips and his hands in her hair. He felt the life sing down her spine. Couldn’t she see?

LATE IS BETTER THAN NEVER.

right?

Edited by Copper, 20 March 2009 - 11:29 PM.

Cashmere

Cashmere

puppy mama

• Reading Winner Rd 1
  • 7,265 posts
TOTALLY

I'm glad you posted this one, Copper. I'm always amazed at the pictures you paint with words. You have an awesome vocabulary and you put it to good use.

Now I wanna see the rage!

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
here we go, just in time!

RAGE

The squeal of tires and sirens rent the night air. Thomas and Lila stood up and peered out the front window in time to see an Oldsmobile reach the corner, swerve, then over correct. It flipped, flipped, through the fence, ripped through their Eden.

"No." the word tore from his throat, "NO!"

"Thomas..." Lila chased him out the front door out into the night full of the smell of torn earth. The car rested on its side and the wheels spun drunkenly, spewing chunks of vegetation onto the house. A police car rolled to a stop in the driveway. A startled looking officer stepped out and squawked into a radio. He stilled as Thomas stalked toward him. "I will kill you." Desperately, Lila vined her arms around him and dug her heels into the murdered lawn. Thomas dug his fingers into her flesh, tried to strip her from him.

There were dark boards pooled beneath the wrecked car.

"Our bench..." Thomas stopped, shuddered.

"You don't understand!" She shouted at the officer, "you just destroyed everything!"

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
I'm glad we're going to get some hope in here. 'Cause right now Thomas has taken a swerve towards the psychopathic.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
haha, he's just a little upset! Stupid police chases.

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
I had forgotten that I had another comment on this. In the apathy part, you mentioned alpine aster flowers, and it seems kinda overly specific for no real reason. Well. Ok. If I remember correctly, it was because you wanted something white. But. Up until Victorian times most people know that certain flowers had certain meanings. I have a book in front of me now ... Almond blossoms mean hope, Hyacinths mean purity, a Carnation means heartbreak. There are lots of online places with really complete lists. So. It's just a way to add another layer if you like.

Reply to this topic