Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wrestlemania 25: The Silver Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

As most of you know, it is now official - Wrestlemania's 25th anniversary is going to be held RIGHT HERE in Houston on 4/5/09! This will be H-Town's 2nd Wrestlemania in eight years, following up Wrestlemania 17 back in 2001. Instead of being held at The Astrodome as WM17 was, the event is going to take place at the home of the Houston Texans - Reliant Stadium.

And most importantly, which is largely why this thread is being created, we've got multiple Nightly members planning to attend. This makes it fun (and informative) to keep track and discuss it leading up to the event itself. Maybe all of this material will convince some more of you to head out this way for the show who may have otherwise not planned on it!

What to expect in this thread:
  • LOTS of visuals. I figure I'll start in and around the stadium itself and branch out as I feel necessary or as requested by those who may ask.
  • Your typical (and premature) Wrestlemania 25 card and storyline speculation - it's NEVER too early!
  • Updates on all local on-goings related to the event, including but not limited to promotional material leading up to the event within the next year, live appearances of any type, news on fan access events as well as on the press conference, Hall of Fame information, etc; if it has to do with WWE being here in Houston or has some direct involvement with Wrestlemania 25 weekend, it'll be here.
  • Various tidbits on the area at and surrounding the stadium, parking, hotels, nearby restaurants, etc.
  • Misc. bull**** - WWE has done lots of cool **** here in Houston, and I'll be poking my head into this thread with a rambling here and there or a historical fact or some crap. I want to have some fun with this.
  • If you're headed out to the event, join in! Contribute if you wish, or request specific info. Don't see something that might fit in here and feel like looking it up? Do so! If you're not headed out to the event, discuss it anyway...'cause you're gonna watch anyway.

--

For starters, here is a bit of photo perspective to give you an idea of how the stadium and some of its surrounding area looks:

--

Posted Image
Here is a view of Reliant Park, with the lovely Astrodome standing nearby, from the Kirby Drive view.

Posted Image
An arial view of Reliant Stadium and the Astrodome side-by-side. Kirby Drive* can be seen running vertically along the lefthand side of Reliant Stadium.

* - I point this street out because it is accessible from both 610 and 59, which means one of either two travel options will intersect with this street and can get you to the stadium.

Posted Image
This photo from the 2007 Houston Classy Chassis Auto Show gives you an idea of what the stadium may look like on the inside when it isn't configured for football. Just toss in a few seats, a ring, and an entrance, and we've got ourselves all set to go.

Posted Image
Here's a view from inside with the retractable roof open. Personally, I hope to God they don't do this.

Fun fact: In the 2005 World Series, Bud Selig and MLB requested that the retractable roof at Minute Maid Park in downtown Houston be left open during play. This was considered a big deal in Houston, where the remarkably high sound decibel level was noted by national media. The rabid fan atmosphere was considered to be an advantage to the Houston Astros, and many said that forcing the roof to be opened up would take this edge away.

Where it relates to Wrestlemania 25 is in regards to killing the live audience heat, which was said to be hurt by the open-air setting for Wrestlemania 24. Not to brag, but Houston fans are some rowdy ****ers. Keeping the roof CLOSED for Wrestlemania 25 would be a great idea.

Posted Image
The seating configuration for Houston Texans games. Not sure if the lower-most bowl retracts or transforms in any way, or if they would just add seats within the white field area.

Posted Image
These are your less than comfortable seating accomodations if you don't get a floor seat, but it's Wrestlemania and you're not going to care :)

Posted Image
A bigger arial view of the area now known as "Reliant Park." Northeast to the Astrodome in this picture is Reliant Center, which may host some WM-related functions. Southeast to the Astrodome is Reliant Hall, formerly known as the Astro Hall, which hosted such events in wrestling past as WCW Fall Brawl '94 (9/19/94) and the Wrestlemania 17 Press Conference (11/07/00). The building has also hosted WCW Thunder, various WCW house shows over the years, and some straight to video WWF stuff througout the years.

You can see 610 running south of the entire Reliant Park area in this picture, with Kirby Drive running vertically off to the left and Fannin Street running vertically to the right; ALT Highway 90 (also known as Old Spanish Trail) is not pictured, but runs north horizontal to Reliant Park from this view.

--

Definitely more info to come. Expect constant updates and such throughout the year leading up to the actual Road to Wrestlemania.

Edited by Exodus, 08 April 2009 - 01:08 AM.

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
With the Funk Brothers being inducted into the HoF!

Looks great.

jedi bobs

jedi bobs

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
let the speculation begin :)

Wrestlemania 25

Opening Match

Money in the Bank:

Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy vs Kofi Klinston vs M.P.V.vs Chris Jerico vs Mr. Kennedy

Winner: Matt Hardy

Battle of the Giants

The Great Kali vs The Big Show.

This sucker has been bulding for a year, with neither man getting the advantage.

Winner: The Big Show

ECW Title Match Extrem Rules

©C.M. Punk vs Catus Jack

Winner: C.M. Punk

Battle of the Millionares

J.B.L. vs Ted Dibiase Jr w/ Dibiasi SR

Winner: Ted Dibiase Jr after Sr pays off J.B.L.

Special 25 Man Wrestlemania Ledgends Battle Royal

Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Nicoli Volcoff, Greg Valentine, Tito Santana, Jake Roberts,Honky Tonk Man, Ax, Smash, Marty Jenetty, Terry Talor, Brookland Brawler, Dusty Rohads, Road Warror Animal, Sgt Slaughter, The Godfather, Tatanka, Bob Backland, Donk The Clown, Mable, Bart Gun, Ron Simmons, Hardcore Holly, Goldust,Superfly Jimmy Snucka, I.R.S.

Winner: Dusty Rohads, by elimating Goldust.

Piper's Pit with special Guest: The Rock

World Title Match

© Batista vs Edge

Winner and *NEW* World Champ Edge, after the match, Batista bombs Edge and then Matt Hardy cashes in his MITB contract.

World Title Match

© Edge vs Matt Hardy

Winner and *NEW* World Champ: Matt Hardy

Woman's Title Match

© Beth Phynix vs Mikie James

Winner and *NEW* WWE Champion Mikie James

McMahon Family vs Hart Family

Mr McMahon, Shane McMahon, Stephine McMahon, HHH, vs Harry Smith, Teddy Hart, Natile Nighthart, Jim Nighthart w/ Bret Hart

Winners: The Hart Family

HBK vs Shelton Benjamen

Winner: Shelton Benjamen

WWE Title Match

© John Cena vs The Undertaker

Winner: Undertaker.

some-guy

some-guy

Dancing for Rain

• Members
  • 1,794 posts
Off topic but, you guys think WM 26 will be held in Toronto, since the last time it was there was WM 18.

Also, I've never seen a city build two full sized stadiums right beside each other...

BTW WWE most likely picked Reliant Stadium over the Astrodome since it holds 10 000 more people and it's newer.

Reality

Reality

A Hero Loses Every Day

• Members
  • 9,273 posts
I just got chills watching that promo, I cannot WAIT

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts

Off topic but, you guys think WM 26 will be held in Toronto, since the last time it was there was WM 18.

Also, I've never seen a city build two full sized stadiums right beside each other...

BTW WWE most likely picked Reliant Stadium over the Astrodome since it holds 10 000 more people and it's newer.

The have it in Seattle. Qwest and Safe-Co Feild are side by side.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
Phoenix has been heavily rumored for WM 26 for a while now.

some-guy

some-guy

Dancing for Rain

• Members
  • 1,794 posts
I still cannot believe they haven't held WM in the U.K. yet. C'mon do it.

Back to WM25, congrats on you Arenanites on getting a local WM event. You're still a year away from being there though.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
It's gonna go by quicker than you'd think. From WM2000 announcing that WM17 would be in the Astrodome with a mere on-screen graphic all the way up to the actual event itself, a lot went down - both in town and storyline-wise in WWF. It was fun, and time fly by rather fast.

Thrawn33

Thrawn33

• Members
  • 2,873 posts
Food for thought:

The Undertaker is from Texas. It would be a great place and WM for his last match if it were to happen in the next year...

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
That's exactly what I'm thinking. The live audience reaction to him in the Astrodome at Wrestlemania 17 was amazing, and I'm sure it'll be even more off the charts this time around. As much as people love him here in Houston, people are even more in love with his Deadman gimmick.

Fun fact: Houston and the number 17 - City in which Wrestlemania 17 was hosted, where Undertaker can pick up consecutive Wrestlemania win #17 next year.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
wwe.com's first real bit of news on WM25, found within various stuff regarding WM24, announces travel package availability for next years show.

http://www.wwe.com/s...lusives/6842602

Oddly, the article is dated April 19th with today being only the 10th.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
Yeah, I got an email about the travel packages... expensive as ****. We're going ghetto with our flight and hotel, so we're not gonna bother with these.

Stuckinarut

Stuckinarut

*enter amusing member title*

• Members
  • 3,891 posts

I still cannot believe they haven't held WM in the U.K. yet. C'mon do it.

:thumbsup: It really could be a huge hit for them. I know they do a Wrestlemania Revenge tour (which is taking place this week, and it's at my hometown tonight), but even if they mixed things around a bit and did the tour just before Wrestlemania, I still maintain the belief that it really could work..

Wembley Stadium worked for SummerSlam 1992...it really could work for a Wrestlemania. It's just a matter of time before they realise the potential of running a major PPV from the UK. I'd be there.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
So I know there's been no news lately (and why would there be, it's 10 months away), but I'm bumping it anyway. We have several hundred dollars already saved up for this. We're not committing until we get tickets, and we're more than willing to spend ****loads of money to get good seats. Since Houston wasn't exactly high on our list of vacation spots (no offense to the locals), we decided (we always have a vacation fund we pump money into) that this trip was JUST about WrestleMania, and it's not worth going if we don't get AMAZING seats. Ericka's not big on wrestling and while she wants to go to WrestleMania, I'm including the Hall of Fame and everything else associated with it that I can get into. Bitch can hang out with Reese or stay home or w/e, this is a wrestling holiday for me that I've been wanting for longer than I can think.

But yeah I'm just bumping this cuz I'm really excited. The only possible way I can see myself not going is if it somehow sells out so fast that I can't even type in the Ticketmaster presale password.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
I'm down about the whole thing right now. As much as I like my new job, I'm not making as much money at the moment as I did with my previous job and inflating gas prices aren't helping much. My car needs a new heater core, still has a Service Engine Soon light on with no clear indication as to what's causing it (and a looming expiration date at the end of next month before I need a state inspection), and a motor for one of my power windows. Lots of money that needs to be put into my car, plus the usual expenses of my phone/car payment/car insurance that slug my bank account every month.

Not being able to afford going to the Raw at which the Draft Lottery is taking place feels like a huge negative precursor of things to come and I'm not liking it. I've got some potential opportunities to better my financial situation looming ahead, but nothing is for certain. If things keep up at their current pace, I may not be able to go to WM25 and it's really pissing me off and it's a little depressing.

I'm not giving up just yet, but ****, it's not looking so great right now. I'm gonna keep up the fight and give it my best though.

--

In the meantime, TNA is coming to town and bringing a PPV of their own to the Reliant Park area. Victory Road is coming to the Reliant Arena on July 13th, and in case you've missed me bitching about it elsewhere, it has pumped out much more pub than the upcoming Raw in Houston which you would think would be advertised like mad given that it's not only the draft but that it's the city in which WM25 is taking place. Houston has a rich wrestling history and lots of tie-ins to the industry that not every person may know about, but that's best saved for another day. Right now, I'm just a little ticked that TNA is promoting their stuff so hard here and WWE isn't. I'd have expected otherwise.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
Press conference on the 24th!

And I guess the reason they didn't advertise the draft RAW in Houston is because it's in San Antonio.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Zero advertisement for Smackdown the following night until this past Monday.

And of course I am scheduled for work when they're holding that damn thing. Maybe a week or two of advance notice and I could have gone. Whatever they mean by saying the people that attend Smackdown/ECW get a first shot type of thing at WM25 tickets...well, that sucks for me. Can't go damnit.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
well, I guess if it's not one thing, it's another

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
I got some dude to pick up my Tuesday morning shift so...it's press conference time!

I'll be headed out there with a buddy of mine and we're taking the video camera. I'll try to get some stills and, if I'm lucky, upload some video. I'll give my little two cents live & in person report when I get home from it too.

Depending on ticket prices, we've contemplated just buying a couple of tickets for Smackdown/ECW and hanging out down around Minute Maid Park and Hard Rock Cafe all afternoon 'till they open the doors. Not sure if that'll happen or not, but it's a thought at the moment.

Getting to go to this press conference has me really psyched over the whole thing. Believe me, it's a real downer when this stuff comes to town and you don't think you're going to get to go. Now that I'm in on the press conference, it's really uplifting.

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
Okay...so there was nothing really to report about the press conference. They moved it indoors to the arena lobby due to the weather, which meant no video camera. Standing room only and hardly anyplace to even stand, it wasn't a very fun outing for anyone that wasn't around the first 100 or so in line.

Lots of TNA flyers and even a TNA billboard on wheels promoting the upcoming PPV in Houston featuring Joe vs Booker. That flyer was the only thing I walked away from that press conference with :(

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
Go to wm25.wwe.com and sign up to get tickets before they go on sale to the general public!

Exodus

Exodus

• 27,292 posts
The official on-sale date, by the way, is September 20th @ 10 a.m. eastern time. This would be a Saturday morning, and I'm debating between buying the tickets online or going out there to the Reliant Stadium box office and doing the all-night party like I did for WMXVII.

Linkage to wwe's official on-sale posting: http://www.wwe.com/s...lusives/7548450

In a bit of news related to the entire mount of festivities, JR commented on his blog this past week that he believes or is pushing for Steve Austin to be the centerpiece of the upcoming Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. I suppose I could go for that, and oh yeah, the reception would be absolutely HUGE. Quite possibly unlike anything you've ever heard live if it's anything like the crowd reaction he got at WMXVII...though I'd expect it to be a much LARGER crowd reaction this time around.

There have been some local rumblings about the gate for TNA's Victory Road PPV and how disappointingly low it was considering 1) Houston's wrestling fan base, and 2) being Booker T's hometown with him headlining the show.

But this is Wrestlemania we're talking about here...

Edited by Exodus, 28 July 2008 - 09:14 AM.

Phil_Muzza

Phil_Muzza

Excellence of Execution

• Members
  • 7,176 posts
Woah, they go on sale on my birthday. Now that would be a cool present. :P

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,520 posts
Damn, that's earlier than I expected. Fortunately we already have several hundred dollars saved up!

EDIT: Although 10 eastern means I gotta get up before 7 my time, damnit.