Pet stories

monkeygirl

We found a stray cat in the park tonight. She's starved to nothing, matted all over, and we found a fish hook in one of the mats (thankfully not in her leg). The dog money is going into rehabilitating - and keeping, of course - the cat.

Good on you Icy! :thumbsup:

I'm loving these stories, really I am, but I'm soon going to have to insist on at least a 1-in-5 ratio of px to stories. I KNOW you people have sweet furbabies who love to be photographed or I woudn't complain, but I needs the visuals!

I'm waiting to take pictures of the new kittah until after the mats are taken care of. They're really, really bad, and I mean that. So, of course I want to catch her when she looks like a starved, shaven wookie :p

And thanks MG and Sulis - but really, how could we not? The puppy is guaranteed to get a good home, but our new little girl needs one and would be much harder to place.

I just about fell out of the chair when I read you were going to get a pup, Icy! lol. Good for you about the poor cat. Poor thing. Have you started to test out names on it yet?

p.s. I will be hedgehog-sitting next week. :lol: My sister and the fam are going to Chicago for a few days, so she's bringing the hedgehog over. Now I have to break it to Joe. lol. He won't care, except that our house is a complete disaster right now and I'm not sure where we're going to put the tank. Little tiny house + new windows being installed = big mess

And thanks MG and Sulis - but really, how could we not?

I know, but YOU know there are plenty of people out there who wouldn't so I like to give thanks when people like us DO.

I helped save ten ducks last week. One of my jobs is a block from Lake Union in Seattle and we have a parking level, half of which is on an outside deck. A mother duck apparently has her babies in the hedges there every summer. This time, crews were resurfacing the floor on a hot day and the mom tried going for a walk and the ducklings all got stuck in the paint/sealer. Four of us corralled them and tried to clean them off but the stuff is waterproof. We boxed them up and had a local wildlife rescue place take them in. I'm anxious to get to work and find out if anyone knows how they're doing. They're so tiny! I could fit 3 in my hand at once. They all wanted to huddle but then, they'd all stick together. It was like someone poured hot gum and glue all over their fur. Mom was NOT happy about any of this. But they're all safe now, I think... two of them were really coated.

Two of the work crew were instrumental in helping us and I thanked them and they said the same thing "How could we NOT?" but I pointed out the rest of the crew who continued cleaning up and ignoring our efforts.

Nicole, THANKS for the latest Isis pic! She's SO expressive! And I must agree, your lap is NOT the couch. ISIS WINS.

I'm at work now, crying like a little girl; one of "my" ducklings didn't make it, he just had too much goo on him and his eyelids were glued open. I knew the damn things for all of 30 minutes. But that little guy was the last one I touched. I held him and desperately tried to get some of the crpa off him but his tiny wings were absolutely glued ot his body so I worked on those. I didn't know how much pressure I could could put on his teeny eyes so I didn't do much for them.

I feel terrible.

((((hugs!)))) MG! :( You did all you could to help, at least most of them made it through!

I just about fell out of the chair when I read you were going to get a pup, Icy! lol. Good for you about the poor cat. Poor thing. Have you started to test out names on it yet?

hahaha, yeah, my grandma has wanted a dog for awhile now. I dunno, I like dogs alot, but I like living with cats more, so this was probably for the best. They were SO DAMN CUTE, tho!

And not yet, but grandma keeps calling her "Sweetie" just for something to call her. She should be at the vet right now, yay! I'll be so glad to see her without all those mats.

I'm sorry, mg, to hear about your duckling. You did everything you could for the little guy, and gave him a chance. Just remember that you saved 9 of his siblings, too, though!

Icy, when Isis was nameless for about a week, I called her "puppy!" all the time, LOL. My husband wanted to give her a mythology name but was having a hard time picking one, and he didn't really care for her "pound name", which was Jasmine.

My new dog Zoe took my white poodle for a ride last night. They started playing and chasing each other around the house for like 15 minutes straight and Lily could not catch Zoe and so Lilly gave up and just fell in the middle of the hardwood floor and passed out for an hour to cool down on the cool floor. I wish I had a video camera rolling. It was hilarious. My other dogs simply sat on the sofa and watch the other two play.

That sounds adorable, H-S. I'm glad they have each other to play with. Calli would love a brother or sister, I'm sure. :)

And I have a fur baby story from the weekend, even though it wasn't my fur baby being cute. My mom, brother, and I went to a zoo/petting zoo/safari tour place nearby and they had tons of cute furry little animals. Even though the elk, cows, deer, buffalo, and emus came up to the safari bus and let you pet them (and they had BABIES!!!), my favorite part was one of the caged monkey exhibits. There were three monkeys in the cage. Two were big and had beards and one was really small and skinny. Of course, the tiny one was antagonizing the bigger ones like crazy. She would roll around in the water dish to get soaking wet and then chase after the biggest one. They would spar for awhile and then she would jump away and pounce back on him. He would finally have enough and pin her by her hair, at which point she would get all whiny and apologetic. When he let her go, she'd just start right up again. I seriously watched for half an hour. It was so cute.

hey Icy, does your dad know about the new kittah yet? ;)

I don't think so. She's still under quarantine until Saturday or Sunday or so. The lower floor REEKS because of this, but I don't think dad has been down there at all, now that he has his "man cave" complete with tv and dvd capabilities out in the barn. So, he may still be blissfully ignorant.

Hmmm... it might have been easier to break the news when she still looked pathetic. She's fattening up now :D

I do have a, ehrm, cute story from the other night. I was petting her, and she was all purring and bussing and everything, and then she rolled over so she was completely splayed on her back, bald stomach exposed, tongue hanging out of her mouth, purring so hard she has to swallow her spit about every minute. So, I tickled her belly, and she rabbit kicked at my arm and purred harder...

My grandma decided earlier that day to try to give her adult cat food. She NEEDS KITTEN FOOD. Because just then she farted some kind of noxious fume that made the wallpaper peel. I had to leave the room :p

I went back to my parent's hometown for an ethnic festival this weekend. Everyone there wears these vests that are part of the traditional costume (sort of like the little German outfits). The only people who wear the full costume are little kids and old ladies, but everyone wears the vest part and does a lot of drinking. This year I saw a lot of people who made vests for their dogs. Even if you don't think animals should wear clothes, it was pretty awesome. :lol: Even the dogs get drinking vests!

Well, it's been almost a month since Dins died, and I think Zoot is FINALLY recovering (and us, too). She was on her best behavior all month, like we were going to bundle her into the car and send her off, too, never to return, which is what she saw us do to him.

[And actually, she's been traumatized by that at least THREE times in her life -- once being driven to a humane society at 8-10 weeks old, having her "person" drive away, then the person who picked her up dropped her off and drove away from the foster home after a couple weeks, and after she was at the foster home for 4 months, her foster mother left her with us and drove away...no wonder she has "car" issues and snarls at strangers who come near her car!]

So she's still obviously very lonely. She lies in the driveway or yard pretty listlessly most of the day, but she's finally coming around and being a bit more playful at night. This morning, she glared at me for leaving (as usual) but she's much happier these days when I get home. She's back to something of her old self -- squeeking balls, ripping up stuffed toys, rolling on her back in the grass, begging for food. The rest of the month, she was on absolute good behavior, minding 100% of the time, heeling on command off leash when there were DEER across the street!, way too quiet, and never got in trouble -- it was frightening!! But...she's almost back to normal now. *sigh of relief*

Thank goodness, or I was seriously going to start looking for doggie Zoloft...

'Kong is getting old and has arthritis. Instead of doing his business in a litter box he just goes on a towel I have spread on a layer of newspapers because he can't get his hind legs into a box. I have to pick him up if he wants up on anything.

Well, today, I picked up his peepee towels and went to go wash them and didn't check to see if he made a big business. His big business got somehow layered inside the towels and went into the wash. Have you ever washed a lipstick? Try this with poo. ICK!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.