Pet stories

monkeygirl

HOW did I miss that! THAT ROCKS!

ALSO: Jesus has discovered WATER OMG! He LOVES playing in water, more than fish I've known. He'll sit for 30-40 minutes at the sink, pawing at a water stream, feet first in the sink, letting his head get soaked. This is his new favorite thing and apparently now, the ONLY thing on the planet forever infinity that he wants to do. My water bill next month is going to be obscene.

I bet the red compliments her dark fur quite nicely. She was going for a fashion statement.

My pup cracked me up last week at the bay. She's been afraid to swim ever since the first time we put her in the water. That is until she saw another dog about her size swim out into the waves. Suddenly she was oh so brave and swam right out. Since then, she would swim out to me on command and even swim out to get her toy and bring it back to the beach. Sometimes she even remembered to keep her paws fully submerged rather than slapping the top of the water with every stroke.

A few days after she got her swimming legs we were down at the beach with a golden retriever that liked to get a little rough. At one point Calli realized that the golden was afraid of the waves, so she would run circles on the beach until the golden was about to catch her. She would then sprint into the waves and stand just out of reach. It was so funny to watch. Especially since the waves were big enough to practically wash Calli away and this big old golden wouldn't get near them even though they were just knee high on her.

Here's a photo of the craziness.

bay_09_007.jpg

The puppy at the bay is always a funny thing to see, but adding other dogs into the mix was just priceless.

It took Calli three days to recover from the bay this year. She just sat around and slept all day. I had to coerce her to go outside to do her business when ususally she's begging me. I was a little worried about her, but she was totally back to normal by the fourth day.

I wonder how she'll be after camping this weekend.

I took my pooches to the vet last night for routine vaccinations and poor Syd has gained 15 POUNDS since last year!!! :eek: The thing is she looks a little heavy, but she doesn't look "fat". She weighed 88 pounds. Now she has to go on a doggie diet. She won't like that. :no: I'm not feeding her a ton of food either, she doesn't get table scraps or people food, so I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out how she gained that much. The only thing I can think of is she's finishing Java's food when I'm not around. The little piggy. Java came in at a healthy 59 pounds.

Do you put their food up when you're not around? Some people have told me not to leave food lying around. I don't have that problem with Isis because she would probably eat the bowl if she could get it in her mouth.

Is she getting as much exercise now? Our vet keeps telling us Isis is kinda fat because she hovers anywhere between 70 and 75, and she'd like to see her at 65ish. But she hates exercise (hah, like her owners), so she told us just to feed her less. She gets about 2 2/3 cups of food a day, and while some people think that's practically starving your dog, she sure doesn't look like she's starving! I'm not even sure she has an idea of the concept of "full". She would probably eat until she puked.

I feed the dogs twice a day, but I keep their food bin seperate. Syd normally devours her food in about 30 seconds, but within the last few months Java doesn't always eat hers immediately when I feed them. She'd rather play and then she'll eat it after a little while. In the mornings though before work, I don't have time to wait to watch Java finish her food, so Sydney could be getting into it. Honestly though, I didn't think it was a problem. Java has snapped at Syd a few times in the past (protecting her dog dish) and normally Syd just walks right by it. She must be getting sneaky about it.

They haven't been exercised the last few months like they should though. For a while I had no energy left after getting home from work. I was pretty much a slug. Being preggo does weird things to your body. :p I'm starting to not feel so tired all the time though, so we're getting back to regular walks. As long as it's not 90 degrees out like last week.

Mara gets sneaky and walks up to Murray, sticks her face near his dish, and waits until he turns away. Then she pushes in and starts eating his food. She's snapped at him, too. I keep telling Murray he needs to man up and tell that bitch what's what, but he's such a big baby. So I have to keep checking on them while they eat and get out the spray bottle when Mara acts like a jerk.

I had a problem for a little while with Java being possesive/aggresive about her food and her dog house. There were a couple times when I had to run outside to break up a snarling dog fight. Well, technically it was just Java snarling and snapping and Sydney was always trying to get away. It always happened at night too. After crating Java in the garage overnight a couple times it hasn't happened since. I think she needed reminding that she wasn't top dog, I am. ;)

There have been times when I've come home from work and Java hasn't finished all her food, but it's still in the dish. Then because I'm out there with the dogs, Syd will think she can try to eat it. She's the easy one though. I just have to give her a stern "Sydney, no" and she'll look at me with those big sad brown eyes and go plop down next to the water dish. She's such a sweetheart. I need to take more doggy pictures.

Calli was completely adorable during my weekend camping trip. She was really good about being outside all day and sleeping in the tent, so that was awesome. The best part was that she spent the whole weekend playing with a little Russian girl named Sveta. They ran in circles for hours both at the campsite and on the beach. I'm pretty sure her parents won't hear the end of her desire for a dog for quite some time.

Of course, after we got home the dog slept for a solid day before getting back to her normal energy levels.

Aww, that sounds like so much fun, Cashmere. :)

Last night around 2 am Murray stuck his head in the door and then ran and jumped on the bed. Apparently they were not securely put away in their crates. :p I checked for the damage and there were chewed up pens, cords, and a jump drive in the hallway, and Murray had red ink on his paws. Naughty pups!

Of course, after we got home the dog slept for a solid day before getting back to her normal energy levels.

Isis got to go on 2 day trips this weekend, so she was PFO on Saturday night. Pretty funny to see her so tired.

My mother-in-law ruined my dog again this week. :angry: Isis is begging really badly and not listening to us. The thing that pissed me off the most is my MIL kept telling the dog I was mean. If you think you're going to pull this **** with grandkids, lady, think again!

The thing is I really like her most of the time! But she just does not know how to set boundaries with animals. She says she has to give her dogs a bite every time she takes a bite of something. HAS. She volunteers at a shelter 3 days a week, and she just keeps bringing home animals. She's beyond cat lady. She's an all animal lady.

I think all of this comes from only having one child. But I'm an only child too, and my parents aren't crazy. Ok, so my dad is 2nd most annoying in the wants-to-be-a-grandparent department, but I noticed that diminished somewhat when he married some lady with 3 teenagers.

Already had the talk with the husband yesterday, though, and he immediately volunteered to bring it up to her if she pulls this crap with grandkids. But he admitted she's going to be a pain and want to spoil them. I don't know how he turned out to be so well-behaved. I guess she and I are just going to have different parenting styles. I've learned a lot from training Isis. Much as I love and miss my Princess, she was a brat and pretty poorly behaved. Lucky for her, she was cute. I can't imagine putting up with her dogs on a daily basis. The last time we visited, my husband got the most obnoxious one on his back, but what a fight it was. I've never seen a dog fight that hard against being dominated. We are by no means hard-asses with Isis, but she knows that we are the boss(es). The food thing will always be a struggle because she lived with my MIL for her first year, and because she's a Lab. I've accepted that, but she has made progress and I can't have her ruining that for Isis every time she visits.

If only I could get the paper fetish to stop. Marriage licenses, baby shower invites... the better the quality or more important the paper, the hungrier it makes her!

Ugh, my dogs chew everything that's in sight. Last night I made the mistake of leaving the blanket on the couch (instead of putting it back in the trunk) when I went to bed, because I was falling asleep on the couch and didn't feel like it and the dogs were being well-behaved (they were sleeping on the couch and Mara was passed OUT). This morning I saw that my husband had put the blanket on the table, and sure enough it had been chewed on. And they also chewed up my flip flop yesterday. OMG STOP CHEWING UP STUFF.

Other than that, they are very well behaved. They just looooooove to chew.

I'm glad my dogs were well past the chewing stage when I got them.

I did live with my BFF for a few months while her husband was at boot camp and she had a young Keeshond mix Holly that chewed on ANYTHING you left out. I lost more than one pair of shoes and other unmentionables (lol) when I forgot to shut my bedroom door before going to work. I am now a huge fan of crate training. ;)

Yes, they are definitely crate trained. We used to leave them in the kitchen during the day but they ate a hole in the wall! It's so annoying because like I said, they're very well-behaved otherwise. They know "leave it" and listen when I tell them. But if we're not around to see them, CHEWING PARTY! Murray even chews up all the bedding so I've resorted to giving him a piece of rope to shred in his crate instead of his "blanket" (which is just a towel because it's easy to replace!).

If it's any consolations my dogs dig like your chew. lol. I swear Java is trying to excavate a hole to China or something. She digs nearly straight down and DEEP! I've never actually caught her digging in the hole, it happens while I'm at work, but my neighber said she walked by one day and saw Syd but didn't see Java anywhere. She looked around and then all she saw was a tip of a black tail sticking out of a hole along the fence. :lol: I can't believe how quickly she digs those holes, I fill them up, she digs another one in another spot and we repeat the process.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.