Pet stories

monkeygirl

So last night Philip couldn't find Murray in the backyard and we were freaking out looking for him because he wasn't wearing his collar (I had given them a bath). We couldn't figure out how he got out because Mara is the one who usually gets out because she's smaller, and she would definitely follow Murray if he got out. After a few minutes Murray sleepily walked up to Philip - we believe he was passed out in one of the holes he dug under the house and didn't hear us calling him. Little **** had me worried sick. :(

Awww, that's kind of adorable in a terrifying way. I'm sure he was thinking: "What's the big deal mom? I was having the best nap in my cool, dark hole!"

It reminds me of the time we thought we lost my brother (he had a tendency to wander away) and after searching the whole neighborhood, we found him passed out under my bed. :lol:

hahaha, poor Mara! The joys of being a pet owner. And he probably came in filthy right after you bathed him, too, huh?

Apparently, we're getting a bunny later this week. One of my mom's co-workers' daughter can't take care of it anymore. All I know is that it's a "miniature bunny." I was like "Netherland Dwarf? Mini Lop? Mini Rex? Some other mini breed?" I have no idea. I guess we'll know when it gets here :shrug:

As promised:

"Who are you pink-skinned freaks, and what the hell did you do with my brothers and sisters?"

"Guess what? Giraffe butt."

"I have no idea why I do this. You throw it, and I feel compelled to bring it back to you. You throw it again... same thing. Huh."

"Me sleeping."

Hah!

I had a Dalmatian that HATED black people. Or at least I thought she did. I'd be driving down the street, she'd see a couple of black kids hanging out at the corner and just start barking like a maniac. I found out later that it was actually the hats, baggy clothes, saggy jeans, etc. that were setting her off, which makes it all a lot less interesting. Color blind, yes. Fashion-blind... not so much.

:hmm:

Mr. Ripley is a great little guy. We're doing the whole "Wake up before your puppy wakes you up, and take him outside to do his bidness" thing, which has been a bit exhausting, but rewarding in an ounce-of-prevention sort of way. And, while I will admit to being far more partial to adults than puppies, I have to admit that hanging out with him, watching his wheels turn as he takes in his surroundings and such has been really neat. And cute, OK.

So are you doing the waking up first thing for good potty training or so that the dog learns that you decide when they go? Isis wakes us up every weekend because she wants food. Actually, the moment she hears one of us move on a weekday morning she's up in our grill wanting fed, too. I'm trying to figure out if that's our fault or just the way she is.

So are you doing the waking up first thing for good potty training or so that the dog learns that you decide when they go?
Both of those, and for some other reasons, too.

• good potty training. Most dogs (unless they're bulldogs) won't use their crate as a toilet unless they REALLY have to go. It's their space, and they don't want to mess it up. Puppies just can't hold it very long, though, which is not only uncomfortable for them, but could lead to bad habits down the road ("hey, it wasn't that bad last time...)"
  • getting a routine down. If you wake the puppy up, rather than letting them stir and work themselves up, it keeps their body clock thinking "Night time is sleep time... not playtime" You take him out, then praise and let him back in as soon as he goes, 9 times out of 10, he'll just want to curl up and go right back to sleep. He'll also be more likely to view napping in his crate as a good thing, not something to escape from.
  • inhibits whining. If you let puppy out before he starts whining, he won't reinforce the idea that "Hey, last time I whined, they came and did stuff for me. This is awesome! I should try it again!"

I think there might have been a few other reasons for this, but that's all I can think of off-hand. As with any training, it's not 100%. There are a few dogs who genuinely don't care about messing in their personal space (or have incontinence), and even the sweetest, smartest puppy is going to whine a little or wake up in the middle of the night and want to play from time to time. But it definitely helps. Oh, it probably also helps that he gets a lot of exercise during the day, and that we try to keep him awake for a few hours before bedtime, so he's not wound up. Yeah, come to think of it, that might actually be the biggest part of why he walks right into his crate and crashes at 9pm...

:eek:

Good to know. We've made some mistakes with Isis' training that we'll try to correct with a new puppy (someday).

Did you guys end up going with a breeder? I know you and I had discussed it and you had some good reasons for going with a breeder, especially with certain breeds. My poor poodle was pretty in-bred, unfortunately, but I think that happens a lot with the toy variety.

We've made some mistakes with Isis' training that we'll try to correct with a new puppy
Everybody makes mistakes. I've been around dogs forevers, but I'm sure I'll look back in a few years and think "Man, I wish we'd tried this instead of that with Ripley!" about a ton of things. Just doing the best with the info you have on hand, being curious and open to new ideas, and being a stable, kind owner is all anybody can do. Also, remember that every ten years, there's another "best" way to train your dog. No matter what you do, or how you do it, somebody's gonna think you're a moron. Just do what works and feels best for you and your dog.

I don't want to offend you guys, but Isis kinda sounds like she was a "special needs" dog from the beginning. Aside from allowing certain visitors too much leeway in reinforcing bad behaviors, you guys are probably doing a lot more right than you give yourself credit for... it's just that with some dogs, you have to do things a little more "right" than with others.

Did you guys end up going with a breeder? I know you and I had discussed it and you had some good reasons for going with a breeder, especially with certain breeds.
Yeah. We were definitely going for a Standard Poodle. The mixture of high intelligence and people-orientedness (for training), fact that he's going to be around kids a lot (for allergies), and large-but-not-scary size all factored into it.

We had a really good experience with the breeder. She actually googled my girlfriend to make sure her story about being a teacher and doing a Reading-With-Rover type of thing wasn't too good to be true. Her intent interest in us was a little disconcerting at first... until we realized how important it was for her to have each of the pups go into a good home. She had us visit her house and the mom-dog a few times, and we were blown away by how happy and healthy all the dogs were. She did a ton of medical check type stuff with the puppies, and gave us a ridiculous (but useful!) list of hints, tips, dos, and don'ts for the particular breed. She's also called and "checked in" a few times since we took our puppy home, too.

I would definitely recommend going the breeder route for somebody who is looking for specific traits, health guarantees, wants a chance to see and interact with related dogs to get a "feel" for what the puppy will be like when all growed up, and, of course, has the money. It can be an incredibly positive and educational experience.

That said, never, never, never buy a dog from a breeder who:

• Wants to meet in a "neutral location." If that doesn't set up a red flag, I don't know what will! If a breeder doesn't want to show you where the puppies were born and raised, there's a reason, and it's almost surely not a good one.
  • Doesn't ask you about you. If the breeder doesn't care enough about his or her puppies to want to know where they're going, they probably didn't care enough to bother with proper facilities, attention, diet, etc...
  • Hasn't tested the parents for genetic diseases that may be common in the particular breed you're looking for. This is similar to the last one. Good breeders care about improving the health of their breed, and will happily spend the extra money it takes to test for health problems in order to avoid them in their breeding programs. Anybody who balks at taking those extra steps shouldn't be breeding in the first place. Stay away.
  • On a similar note, if the breeder doesn't offer a health guarantee and vet results, don't risk it.
  • Doesn't "talk dog." A good breeder will know so much about their breed it will probably overwhelm you. Everything from genetics, to mental and physical traits, family health history, to dietary and grooming quirks, to silly (though possibly important) observations like "All of Dottie's puppies were a little bashful around kids until about nine months of age. Weird, huh?" I'd shy away from any breeder who doesn't know their breed -- and more specifically, their particular line -- like the back of their hand.

I'd also stress that you look for things like references (they're out there!), that the breeder belongs to a club requiring them to adhere to a code of ethics, etc...

My poor poodle was pretty in-bred, unfortunately, but I think that happens a lot with the toy variety.
It definitely can, but it doesn't have to. Some lines of Toy Poodles are great... others are a mess. It really depends on the parentage and conditions the dog was raised in. Popularity is, unfortunately, also a factor (and Toy Poodles have been popular!). When people who don't have a clue as to what they're doing start breeding popular dogs in order to make a buck, bad things happen. This is part of why there is such a huge, huge disparity in health, temperament, etc. between different lines of Labs and Goldens. Also, unhealthy breed standards can also come into play (see: Bulldogs, German Shepherds), which is infuriating, since those are the people who should know best... but I'll be up on a soapbox for hours if I let myself go on that tangent.

I think most of Isis' issues come from just being overall a little needy. I don't know if its a direct result of being a shelter dog or if she was always going to be needy. Overall, she is really pretty well behaved, just excitable in very short bursts. Some days I wonder how this hyperactive dog goes "to bed" at 9 every night! Otherwise, she is very sweet and loving. Like I've mentioned before, she picks up on emotions very well and is very comforting.

I hate to keep blaming my mother-in-law, but I'm dreading her visit next month. I like her very much as a person, but not so much as a dog owner/dog visitor!

I think with most toy breeds (not just poodles), you have to be extra careful with searching for a good breeder. There are a lot of them out there, and I'd say a higher percentage of them are puppy mills.

So what is Ripley's personality so far?

Destiny, I have to confess that my view of Isis is most likely really twisted, as I probably know about 80% of the naughty/difficult things about her, and only 20% of the good stuff.

:blush:

I think most of Isis' issues come from just being overall a little needy. I don't know if its a direct result of being a shelter dog or if she was always going to be needy. Overall, she is really pretty well behaved, just excitable in very short bursts. Some days I wonder how this hyperactive dog goes "to bed" at 9 every night! Otherwise, she is very sweet and loving. Like I've mentioned before, she picks up on emotions very well and is very comforting.
You know, her neediness could stem from her being a shelter dog... or she could just be like that. It's hard to say. The fact that you mention how sensitive she is to emotions makes me lean toward thinking her confidence may have been shot from losing her first home, but some dogs are just like that from birth. Of the two most needy dogs I've ever met, one had a stable home her whole life, while the other was a rescue.

I hate to keep blaming my mother-in-law, but I'm dreading her visit next month. I like her very much as a person, but not so much as a dog owner/dog visitor!
Heh. Frustrating, isn't it?

It's a totally legitimate gripe, though. You've told her exactly how you feel, yet she continues undermining you!

I think with most toy breeds (not just poodles), you have to be extra careful with searching for a good breeder. There are a lot of them out there, and I'd say a higher percentage of them are puppy mills.
I don't know if it's higher or not, but it makes sense. Toy breeds require less feeding, vigorous exercise, cleaning, etc., so it'd be a more logical choice for somebody who's just interested in churning out puppies than, say, a Great Dane...

I don't personally care much for toy breeds, but in defense of the Toy Poodle, if you get one from a good line, they can live very long (20 years!), healthy lives, and you always hear owners raving about their personalities.

So what is Ripley's personality so far?
Well, we got him because it was clear he was a "thinker" from early on (he stops and observes, then acts). He just seems to instinctually know when it's play time and rest time, too. He loves to stalk and retrieve toys already, and is a sucker for chest/belly rubs, and is no longer terrified of the sneaky, slippery hardwood floors. He's still really tiny, though, so can't say for sure what his temperament will be like as an adult. But judging from his current behavior and his family's behavior, I'm betting on him being somewhat mellow.

One thing I've noticed about poodles in general over the last month or so is how they sense your personal space. Maybe this is just the particular poodles I've met, but it's been across the board so far. They come up and greet you like any dog, but wait for you to give your hand, and stop short of jumping up and mauling you with mud and kisses. Ripley seems to have that same sense of space, too. He'll get really excited and playful and jump up, but not on you, which is a really, really odd kind of self-control for a puppy (at least compared to the breeds I'm used to!)...

This is why Standard Poodles are for the win, Pong. My family has had three of them and every single one has that intelligence behind their eyes. I think they sense you are the master, but they still retain a little of the peppy behaviors of the miniatures, like they're bordering on the manic side of 'yip yup i want to lick you omg why don't you pick me up', but they realize they're big and restrain themselves a little bit more.

My Royal standard poodle, Savannah use to come running up to me when I got home, would stop totally short of me, kinda prostrate her long front paws and look up at me with her butt still up in the air and the tip of her tail wagging. We taught her commands in a bunch of different languages and boy did she love running. We would clap our hands and she would take off in big long loops around the yard (not that this any different from other dogs). The other thing I find with Royal Standard Poodles that you will like, is if you take her to a dog park, they tend to be really good around all types of dogs. Only when threatended did Savannah react badly to other dogs and I mean really threatened. Otherwise it was genial dog butt smelling and a good ole time. But she would stand close and just watch the other dog real carefully until it passed if she sensed something. Only once did she go after another dog and it was because it attacked her first.

I'll jump on the Spam love bandwagon. Yay, Spam! :D

I'm hoping to have some fun/interesting "pet" stories in the near future. I just started volunteering at a nearby farm that provides horseback therapy for people with disabilities. In addition to 25 or so horses they have goats, donkeys, mini horses, dwarf horses, a rooster, a pig, guinea pigs, rabbits, cats, and a bunch of random ducks that aren't contained but decided to make their home there. In between mucking stalls and feeding the animals, I'm hoping to get more comfortable with horses and be amused by all of the animals.

So far, I'm in love with a Corgi named Tulip. She's so friendly and cute and happy. She also knows how to ride horses.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.