Pet stories

monkeygirl

For the past few days we have been blaming the puppy for taking Pixie's blanket out from under the daybed in the office, and have been replacing it whenever it was out of place. Just a second ago, Pixie came tearing through the living room with the blanket in her mouth. Apparently it's been her the whole time. :lol: She now has it stored in her favorite living room hang out, under the wicker circle chair.

They like the dishwasher
And YOU obviously like internal parasites!

Mmm, mmm, good!

As it gets colder, our cat's becomes more and more demanding by the hour. She loves kitty treats, but hates going down to the basement to eat her dry food, so she'd rather follow us around, petulantly rowling all morning than eat her normal food. I have to admit, it's kinda cute.

On the aquapet front, I recently killed two frogs by stupidly learning how to care of them from the Internets. Apparently, not everything you read there is true -- I shoulda looked at several more "care and feeding" sources before believing they'd go well with our fish. Poor guys.

:no:

And YOU obviously like internal parasites!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Pixie came tearing through the living room with the blanket in her mouth

OMG. PX PLEASE!!! I have never seen this. My Pigboy had a ribbon he'd hold in his mouth and let trail under him, but a blanket? This is new to me!

Meeko was just like that. I finally had to give in and have a separate dish of food somewhere or he'd beg and beg.
Yeah, she knows that if she goes on long enough, Sarksy will give in, if just to shut her up. Which is weird, since she's tougher than me on almost everything else... but Luca beg-yowling at her always breaks her down sooner or later! Huh.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
True... tapeworms do wonders for a figure!

• 2 weeks later...

New auxillery cat did something really dumb today.

The newly promoted Capt. Cat is a nice quiet cat. He licks, eats, sleeps and poops. He knows where boundries in the house lie because I am ALPHA CAT.

New cadet cat, who I still haven't give a name, is a completely different story. She thinks the countertops are part of the race course in her world. She'll leap on my desk, to the top of the microwave, then onto the breakfast bar and finally back down a step to the counter. She then flings herself all batman like across to the stove, then leaps down and eats two bites of food and then runs away again.

'Cept that now she's found the things I keep on the edge of the kitchen sink. She batted one of the lids to a tiny container into the sink, then she batted a ring. Well, the ring went down into the disposal. Like any good kitten she tried to go after it. She stuck her little head in the rubber ring and a paw down there trying to get at the ring. Then she couldn't back out.

She's pulling and screaming and crying and scrabbling. I come running into the kitchen and discover she has pulled herself free of the disposal hole, but the rubber ring (the one with the little triangle thingies going around it) is now stuck around her neck. She's flopping around trying to get it off. But it's half around her head and half around an armpit. And she's not happy.

Unfortunately, kittens have tiny memory spans. I came home tonight from a Christmas party and found her sticking her paw into the disposal. AGAIN. GUH.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the new kitty got her shots last weekend and they needed a name for the file, so I said, "Mama". I guess it's stuck with her because she was so good with Meeko when he was getting on, and she's pretty good natured with Little1 so far. She can entertain herself. The other thing I like about it I used to work with some black women who called me Mama. It's a term of endearment that they have for their kids or people who they like.

Oh and she spit out her first baby tooth. I came home today and was giving her a welcome pet and she started rubbing her head on my hand and then I felt something sharp in my palm. One of her little fangs!

Oh, yeah, they lose their teeth, we've found a couple before.

We actually found a claw the other week. Which made us go "hrink?" Because it was just laying on the floor, no blood, not caught up in anything... it was just there, and none of the cats were limping or specially favoring a paw :shrug:

Wow. Grammatically that was a traditional Spam sentence with left out words and misspellings. Meeko used to shed claw caps all the time. Some stupid girl before me had his front claws removed and I think he grew extra fast for the hind claws to help keep them healthy. He'd get a crack in them and then they'd fall off. I'd find those claw thingies all over the house.

So, trick question, how do you wrap presents with a kitten in the house?

VERY QUICKLY.

Ours isn't so much keeping them from unwrapping the presents, it's keeping them from peeing on the presents. Jack did that once, right in the middle of us unwrapping them on Christmas Eve (yeah, we're Christmas Eve people). We weren't letting him outside RIGHT THEN, so he picked a box and opened the floodgates in protest.

Now we eyeball him like crazy if he even looks at the stack of presents from across the room.

Awww!

Not a pet, but two red squirrels (not a breed that usually comes to feeders around here) have adopted our yard and feeding station (we're cool with everything eating, not just birds... we even have deer on a semi-regular basis). Two, really, but I found out about a minute ago why we normally just see one - Number Two jumped into the feeder with Number One, and Number One tried to claw it's little eyes out. I am always strangely amused when tiny little cute furry things decide to establish Alpha and Beta status.

Also, they finally figured out that there is a very accessible climbing tree right there to take them to the ground. Said feeding station is mostly on our deck, and when they were done eating, they'd just launch themselves off the side - a good 12-15 foot drop :eek:

Speaking of brazen wildlife, a possum came up the other day... and I nearly let it in the house thinking it was a cat at first glance :lol: It moseyed on up, ate whatever it could find, even came up to the glass french door and looked in - with me standing right there. Pookie was right there, too - she was quite aware of the interloper, and could care less. I swear, I'm going to find a possum or a raccoon curled up on the sofa with the cats one of these days :lol:

I've told you guys my midnight interloper story right?

I used to own a trailer home. It was single-wide in a mobile home park and all I could afford in expensive Atlanta since I was paying my own way through college. I had always had pets, so I had a dog and four cats. I'd sometimes prop the window open to the 'dining room' which was just an eating area in the kitchen really with a fancy chandelier, re: an ugly fixture hanging down. The propped open window made it easy for my cats to go in and out. Very trailer trash.

So one night I come home from work at Taco Bell at 1 am and plop down to watch some late night tee vee and unwind. While I'm surfing through channels I realize every cat I have is up on top of the counter and the dogs ass-end is wagging slowly up in the air while she's got her front end splayed out and growling into the kitchen. The cats are playing back up choir with their own hiss/growl.

Sighing I get up and turn on a light and look at the center of their attention. IN the middle of kitchen floor is O'possum caught in full 'Look I'm a dead possum' stance and the cats bowls are devoid of a crumb of food.

I cry for my roommate, "Ski! Come in here!"

He comes out and we have a discussion which ensues about what a landlords supposed to do and what I think a man is required to do in these situations. Finally we decide that he'll help me remove my possum. We get the cats shoed away, put the dog up and proceed to bang about the mobile home trying to get the possum to go into a pickle bucket Ski used for fishing. We use a broom and a lot of jumping around as our technique to get it into the bucket and then we're like, "Uhm, what do we do now?"

Ski starts laughing. He'll take care of it. I have a neighbor who we despise. We don't mind drinking neighbors, 'cept these guys start up at 11 am in the morning by drinking on the front porch with the home speakers in the windows listening to the SAME Hank Williams Jr. song, "There's a Tear in My Beer". With the lady of the house recently divorced and joining in. They then throw their empties into my yard. Ski says he has an idea and takes the full of possum bucket outside and less than a minute later he's back with an empty bucket.

I don't care. I just want to sleep now that it's three am. I close the window and let the cats in the old fashioned way and go to bed. The next morning I hear a scream. A thud. And a laugh. I have to go to school anyways, so I get my school bag for college and head out to my parking pad when I see what Ski has done.

He'd tossed the possum in through the lady's sunroof. In its effort to escape it had shredded up all her seats and was playing dead in the remains of one of them while the owner had passed out flat into the grass.

I got the hell out of there.

Wow, that is crazy. Remind me to be extra neighborly if we ever live next door to each other!

My pets have been cracking me up lately. We finally got an appointment at our new vet, but they couldn't get us in in time to miss Pixie's first heat. The poor thing is rubbing her face and sides against any and all inanimate object she encounters and walking bowlegged with her butt up in the air. She also continuously coos. It's hilarious, but she's just so uncomfortable. Her surgery is scheduled for January 6, and although she'll be in pain after, I think she'll be much happier overall.

Calli was funny at the dog park yesterday. She absolutely loves playing in the snow, even if it does bring down her top speed. She likes to roll in the snow, eat the snow, bury her face in the snow, run through the snow, lay in the snow, jump in the snow, and catch snow balls. If you'd like to see her with an adorable snow beard, check out my thread in the Studio! :heart:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.